dance

dance

A Chapter by Lyn Anderson
"

Finally! A poem that comes purely from my experience - the first time I saw the northern lights - I stood in forty below weather for more than a half hour - awed, dumbstruck. I hope I did it justice.

"
Ribbons of violet and green
Dance across
The midnight misty sky

I close my eyes and dream
That the stars direct them
For you and I

At the far edge of the world it seems
You are that far away

Tomorrow
You will be here once more
And dreams will fade away

But for now
The ribbons dance
To the never ending symphony
of our love.




© 2016 Lyn Anderson


Author's Note

Lyn Anderson
http://travelyukon.com/sites/default/files/wall_of_northern_lights.jpg

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Now never seen the Northen Lights myself, but this one was so beautifully expressed. The image invoked so wonderfully, Felt like I was right there watching it. It's such a beautifully penned piece. The last verse packs such feelings. I can understand now to a certain extent why you must have stood their for half an hour in that harsh cold. I am definitely reading a lot more of you in the future ^^ Also I notice that you do not add punctuation marks. I am guessing you leave it for the readers to self punctuate the work depending on their mood.
Thank you for sharing ^^

Posted 8 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

8 Years Ago

Ah yes, especially in my early work, I rarely use punctuation, and always use it sparingly. This too.. read more
There's something special, about northern Canada, which too few Canadians ever get to see. Myself, it's a northern Alberta summer sunset, which leaves me, feeling like your poem does, for you, KL. I was 10, at the time, and I have never forgotten that night, in the past 3 + decades. Sadly, I don't have the words, to do it justice, like you have. But, its a memory, I will cherish, until I die. Thank you, KL, for reminding me, of poetic moment, from my youth.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

I was 13. The Northern lights. It was 40 below zero and I didn't notice the cold. Thank you.
therisa

9 Years Ago

Your welcome, KL.
Absolutely beautiful and enchanting... you have transported me to that very moment when I first saw this comic ribbon dance...you capture the breathtaking inspiring experience well... gorgeous poetry.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thank you. I was fifteen when I wrote it and is still one of my favourite pieces
Ghost of Jupiter

9 Years Ago

Wow, really so young? That is amazing that you had this much talent even then... just wow!
This is a romantic piece, poetical and with an underlying sadness/missing somebody 'though as you say it is about the Northern Lights, "Ribbons of violet and green", very pretty.

Posted 10 Years Ago


"Tomorrow
You will be here once more
And dreams will fade away

But for now
The ribbons dance
To the never ending symphony
of our love."

Wow. I just saw this poem...It was amazing...:).................



Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lyn Anderson

10 Years Ago

Thank you kindly. My awe at the northern lights shines through even after all this time.
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

May they keep shining in your dark nights...You are welcome...:)...................
Is the kind of write that lets another feel good and smile about moments within their lives while they appreciate you having your moment.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 22, 2013
Last Updated on August 12, 2016
Tags: northern lights, beauty, dazzled


Author

Lyn Anderson
Lyn Anderson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



About
I write under a pseudonym. I don't do Read Requests, but you can PM me if you want me to read something specific. I make friends with people who I read and interact with. I won't accept random reque.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Snow Fairy Snow Fairy

A Chapter by Matching Socks


Street Kids Street Kids

A Poem by s y e


Unravels Unravels

A Poem by willweb