Reminisce

Reminisce

A Chapter by Abigail Muddiman

Warning spat, swearing she would hurt herself. Her words, swallowed; bitter. An aftertaste thick enough to stick. Fingers. Glided on sharp edges, playing with touch and toying with minimal danger. Calm. Stop; you’re going to cut yourself. Laugh. Snapped, the blade back into place. Smirked, never reaching her eyes. Carefully camoed compassion cutting quickly, condensing his into cautionary comments and hers into reckless conduct, combating a confrontation currently and continually being called off. Cowards.

Time. The sea wall swells under starry skies, tongue tied with words she would never say. Silent. She sits, smiling sadly, not realizing it; something sat stubbornly on her sternum. Sabotaging everything she should’ve confessed. She strives for simplicity but   he   was nowhere near simple. And she   was hopeless. Heart set, logic skewed. Shooting star loses luster. Wish whispered; Did you say something? Lie stuttered.  

Truck twice her size, easily the smallest climbing in. Taking shotgun for old time’s sake; supposed to take turns but she took each one. Talked. Dancing delicately around the tricky truth. Troublesome. T r e m b l i n g. Terrified; of being turned down by a name her lips still smile saying. Two others take in the silence; it’s not time. Never the right time.

Pocket knife in hand. Put it back. Blade on her fingertips; smart enough to not get hurt. Playing with touch, toying with danger. Not the physical kind. Still handing him fragments of a broken heart he never wanted in the first place.

Wounded.

Silent. Begs him to read her mind.

Impossible.



© 2016 Abigail Muddiman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

93 Views
Added on October 6, 2016
Last Updated on October 6, 2016