Cold Dark Room

Cold Dark Room

A Poem by Ann Outlaw

COLD DARK ROOM

By

Ann Outlaw


Distant lullabies softly sang through the night 
Something about two shining stars
Far away in the midnight sky

I drifted off and met you in my dreams
Your bare feet dirty from all the rain
The sun came and a rainbow was made
Then I remembered He promised, no more pain

My dream stopped, it wasn't true
Just a vision in my head, of the both of you
It wasn't real, only what should have been
The perfect pair, you two

I put on my robe, house slippers too
Shuffled up the stairs to a cold, dark room
Gently cracked the door, hoping to see you

But it's just a cold dark room....
Decorated, for two 

© 2023 Ann Outlaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

its like a nightmare in a good way i love

Posted 1 Year Ago


Loved it! Very well written and emotion provoking. I like your choice of words, the rhyme scheme is effective too.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Ann Outlaw

1 Year Ago

Hi Addy, thanks so much for reading and for the comment.
My mother lost two of her children, my brothers, and both at full term. My wife also lost a child due to a miscarriage in her first marriage. She was told explicitly by doctors she could "never" carry a child to term. One doctor even went as far as to say, he had a better chance of delivering a healthy child than she did. So when she became pregnant we naturally had some worry and trepidation. All the medical professionals were saying it was too late in life, her health and life would be at risk (she was only 46 but a lifelong asthmatic) and they all advised terminating her pregnancy. She wanted a child more than anything. She wanted to be a mother. We decided together to take the risk and let God sort out our circumstances. Today we have a perfectly healthy 8 year old daughter who is at the top of her second grade class and an A Honor Roll student. God doesn't always answer our prayers the way we want or give us the desires of our heart. But I do believe he hears our needs and loves us unconditionally. I am so moved by your loss. I'm not able to offer any other comfort than I found your poem both moving and tender. Maybe one blessing removed makes way for another, I do not know, but if it were so, I'd venture you are due a few favors in this life. May God bless you and comfort you in your loss. F.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Ann Outlaw

1 Year Ago

Hi and thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement. Also, for sharing such heartbreaking .. read more
Dear Ann, I am deeply sorry for your loss. You've manifested that pain and anguish into something incredibly beautiful, so be proud of yourself for that. The time you take to give yourself the momentum to heal is most important. Writing can be a great catharsis. My sister-in-law lost twins at the same time I gave birth to my only son. I know she still calculates the days and years in passing, and I know how painful it must be for her to watch her nephew grow, knowing her twins would be the same age. My prayers are with you. Be strong and be proud of yourself for each day you get through. Consider yourself hugged today!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Ann Outlaw

1 Year Ago

Kelly, thank you so much for also sharing what your SIL has gone through. That is a big reason I hav.. read more
Kelly Scheppers

1 Year Ago

If you need to talk to someone, or need an objective opinion, feel free to message me. Take care, An.. read more
Your pain bleeds through your words, the silence in between the lines desolate and lonely. With the loss of the pitter patters of little feet running down the hallway, the house is eerily quiet. The heart still listening, hopeful, desiring, yet knowing, it is not to be. All the joy, all of the plans made, all of the dreams deflated. The cruelty of such a loss is heartbreaking. To love so much without hesitation and then to never meet the loves of your life - how devastating! Pour your tears into poetry. It will help with your healing, while at the same time paying homage to those waiting for you on the other side. Be well.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Ann Outlaw

1 Year Ago

Linda, thank you so much for your words here. You are so right, I have certainly found that writing .. read more
Enjoyed the alliteration, internal rhyme and end rhyme in your stanzas. A poignant write which felt rather lonely at the ending. Lovely poetry. Thank you.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Ann Outlaw

1 Year Ago

Hi, thank you for your comment and thanks for taking the time to read it.
This could be about a few different situations, but one thing is for sure, it sure felt lonely. Very quiet as if one could hear a shadow move. The emptiness of this really grabs me as a reader and as one who normally tries to find the meaning, in this case I am not sure I want to know. I like how you have expressed these emotions Ann. It has been a while since I have read something new from you, this was a pleasant surprise this morning.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Ann Outlaw

1 Year Ago

Hi, my friend! Thanks for always stopping by and giving the best thoughts on my writing. I love that.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 16, 2023
Last Updated on February 16, 2023
Tags: loss, miscarriage, twins, infertility

Author

Ann Outlaw
Ann Outlaw

KY



About
The hardest part of writing is having lived through it. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Change Change

A Poem by Soren


Constants Constants

A Poem by Chris Shaw