Chapter 6

Chapter 6

A Chapter by Luna

            “Soups down!”Pratt calls as he storms into the room. “But Maria, Cap’n won’t let you ‘ave food down ‘ere ‘till you eat with ‘im.”

            “Then tell him I will starve because I will not eat with a man who wants to put his vile hands all over me! And if he so much as touches a hair on me or the middies, he won’t be alive much longer!” I explode in anger.

            “Ah, Miss, it couldn’t ‘ave been that bad.” Pratt says, trying to calm me down.

            “If already being drunk when I arrive and trying to get me in his bed after only a few moments is not bad, then no, it wasn’t that bad.” Anger radiates in my voice and from my eyes.

             “Oh, then maybe it was bad. I ain’t thought of that.” Pratt says with apology in his voice. He thinks over what I said before he continues. “I brought the extra water for ‘im. ‘Ow is ‘e doin’?”

            “Well,  if having stitches in his face and some broken ribs is alright then he is just dandy. I had Maden put him on the sick list for today and tomorrow so he will be out for awhile.” Anger was taking over me until I glimpsed some worry and care in Pratt’s eyes. Loosening up a bit, I allowed him to speak.

            “Can I see ‘im?”

            “Sure, but he is asleep.” I explain to him, trying to make him change his mind.

            “That’s all right.”

            “This way please.” I say, leading him into Travis’ room even though I didn’t want to.

 

 

            As I walk out of Travis’ room just as all the boys enter the berth. They had all went into their room with their food so they could eat silently, alone.

            “Is he gone?” Steven asks me from the door to his room.

            “Yah. And Travis is awake now. Now everyone of you better have eaten all of your food. You have been through a lot and need all of your strength. I am going to go help Travis. He needs to eat and drink at least a little bit to regain some of his own strength.” I explain to them as I pick up Travis’ food and walk to his door. I knock and enter.

            “Travis? I brought you some food and water.” I say quietly, just in case the spirits gave him a headache.

            “Maria? What did he do to you? I’m going to kill him if he laid one finger on you!” He exclaims as he attempts to sit up but the spirits made him dizzy and he falls back to the bed in defeat. “He didn’t hurt you? MARIA, TELL ME!” He demands as I calmly walk to the side of the bed.

            “Now Travis, calm down. I am all right. Don’t worry about me. I am just fine. Here, give me your hand and I will help you sit up. You need to eat. Here, open your mouth.” His hand is larger than mine as I struggle to pull him up. When he is in the sitting position, he opens his mouth but not for food.

            “Wot the ‘ell did ‘e do to you! Tell me er I won’t eat!” he exclaims, his voice taking an odd accent that I have never heard before.

            “Alright. As I feed you I will tell you what happened.” I promise him and offer him the spoon full of food again. He opens his mouth and greedily takes it. An image flashes threw my head of him as a tiny child, greedily taking its’ mother’s milk.

            “Tell.” He demands when his mouth is empty.

            “I went into the cabin for dinner, feeling very uncomfortable and I told him so. I could tell he was already drunk by the smell of whiskey on his breath. He said, ‘If you are uncomfortable in the chair than we can move to the bed’ and…”

            “Damn him to hell!” He interrupted in anger. “You are under my protection and I will not allow you to go near him without me!”

            “May I continue?”

            “Yes. I’m sorry for interrupting.” The spoon is placed on his lips and he gladly takes it.

            “He had a sinister grin on his face and I knew what was on his mind. I explained to him that I was uncomfortable in an unknown room, on an unknown ship, with a man I do not know. He told me that if I came and sat on his lap then we could get to know each other and he would tell me whatever I wanted to know…”

            “Wot the ‘ell! That…that….arrg!” Travis exclaims in anger, so angry that he is at a loss for words.

            “Do you want me to continue or is it too much for you?” I ask, losing patience with him.

            “No! Don’t stop! I need to know!” He cries desperately.

            “Alright then. Try not to interrupt again.” I instruct him while my mind comes up with reasons for why he needs to know.

            “I’m sorry. I will try. It is just so hard… to listen to what that evil man tried to do to you.” He explains, his voice wavering and giving away that this is upsetting him.

            “So… I stand up and begin yelling at him. ‘No Sir, I am not like that!’ Then I tell him that if he lays one hand on  me I will murder him. He lunges for me but I jump out of his reach, throw a chair in his drunken way, and run here. You know how the rest goes.” I conclude my story, putting the water up to his lips and pouring a small trickle from the tin cup into his waiting mouth. I put the cup down and get another spoonful of what looks like oatmeal ready to give to him. He sees what I am doing and stops me.

            “No more for now. I am full and what the captain tried to make you do would have made me  lose my appetite anyway. Did you eat yet?” He asks, trying to take care of me.

            “Yes, I had some of this oatmeal stuff and water just like you did.” I lie. I don’t want to worry him anymore than he already is. “Anyway, you need to eat.”

            “Just to let you know, it is called burgoo. And it is good that you ate. We head out to see during the second dog watch so you are probably going to get sea sick.”

            “Well you need to continue to eat this. Remember, you just went through surgery and you need all the food you can get to help you with your recovery.” I put another spoonful of the burgoo up to his mouth and he takes it. I continue doing this and he eats in silence until the bowl is empty. I help him lay back down on the bed and look into his eyes. Guilt rises from my gut and I burst with it.

            “Travis, I am so sorry this happened. I feel horrible! I did this to you and I shouldn’t have!” The tears that I have been holding back flow down my cheeks as he reaches for my hand.

            “I would gladly do that again for you if he or any of the crew threatens you. Don’t worry about me. I’ll be fine. You’ll see.” He comforts me, rubbing the back of my hand. After a few minutes of sitting like this, I remember my question from earlier.

            “I have a question.”

            “What is it?” He asks in a tone of voice I have never heard him use before. It was soft and sweet, almost loving.

            “Where do I sleep?” He lets out a little chuckle, a welcome sound in my ears and in my heart.

            “You sleep in the last room.”

            “Thank you, Sir Travis, protector of the only girl on the god-forsaken ship.” He chuckles again and I lean down to give him a kiss on his cheek to say goodnight. He turns his head so that our lips meet instead. I remove my lips from his and look down at his face, a face carved by the angels, even with the stitches on it. A comforting smile is in the same place where my lips had just been.

            “S-s-s-sorry.” I stammer out. My cheeks are a deep cherry red though he continues to smile.

            “It’s alright. You are dismissed.” He says, the smile still in place.

            “Good night.” I turn to leave when he calls one more thing out to me. I turn around, standing in the doorway as he talks to me.

            “Maria, if he ever tries to hurt you again, come to me.” I see his eyes close but the pleasant smile remains on his face.



© 2009 Luna


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think you should combine chapters 6 & 7 and make it one chapter. Since this chapter flows right into the next one. Like Moyo said it's a bit plain and nothing major happens but by combining the two of them I think it would make for a great chapter.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


To tell you the truth, this chapter was a bit plain, nothing major happened. You should try to look over it and see if you can add something that makes it more interesting.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

203 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 22, 2009
Last Updated on December 30, 2009
Previous Versions


Author

Luna
Luna

Civil War Capital, VA



About
I am a helpless romantic who also loves to attempt to write romance adventure (my novel Maiden Voyage for example) but I tend to try to stick more to poetry. I am southern (yes, I do have an accent) a.. more..

Writing
Failed Failed

A Poem by Luna


Crutch Crutch

A Poem by Luna


Regrets Regrets

A Poem by Luna



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Our Last Summer Our Last Summer

A Chapter by Luna