The Lab

The Lab

A Chapter by Luna

                “Well Patrick. Guess me and you are partners.” I look at the boy, his head laid down on the desk as he snores, a small puddle of drool forming where his open mouth touches the desk. I kick the desk, jolting him to awareness, causing him to fall out of the seat.

                “What did I do?” he mumbles standing up and heading back to his seat. I grab his arm and drag him back to the lab table Jacob and Angela are at, seeing her attempting to flirt and him starring off into a distance.

                “Alright. What exactly are we doing here?” I ask, looking straight at Jacob, knowing that he knew exactly what was going on and what the experiment was. He is a bit of a science buff, something that we have in common. He snaps out of his trance, looking straight at me and giving me a knowing grin.

                “Looking at some bacteria and labeling the parts. We have to draw a picture of each slide and then label its means of transportation, DNA, and ribosome. Not that difficult if you ask me.” his brown eyes rest on me, cruising up and down my body, turning my cheeks red with the attention he is giving me. Angela’s face is growing redder and redder as well, red with anger and jealousy by seeing the attention that he is giving me and how he is completely ignoring her.

                “Turn the microscope around. I’m going to go ahead and sketch this out.” I say, attempting to draw him back to the lab and remind him that we are supposed to be hiding our feelings for each other, hiding our relationship from the world, especially hiding it from Angela.

                “Oh. Yah. We need to draw it don’t we…” he fades out, slowly breaking out of his state of checking me out. His cheeks turn into two little cherries, his embarrassment written in his brown eyes. I let out a laugh, catching Mr. Marcus’ attention.

                “Girls! You all know the rule! Pull up the hair or get out of my lab!” He says, looking right at me, my black curls cascading down to my waist. Many of the girls leave the lab, grabbing their hair ties from their bags as I pull the one from my wrist, the wrist band that lives there even though my parents tried to replace it on the birthday before the car accident. I pull my hair into the tell tale bun it is always in, a loose bun landing on the back of my neck. Jacob’s eyes light up, his eyes drawn back to my body, roaming up and down my front.

                “Eh hem! The lab? We only have thirty minutes left.” Angela squeaks, her voice betraying her anger and jealousy. God, I really hope she doesn’t find out… Jacob snaps back to attention, his eyes going to both of the lab sheets and what has been drawn in the small space on mine.

                “Patrick? Come one, boy! Wake up already!” I kick Patrick in the leg, the pain waking him up and causing  him to almost fall out of his chair. Some of the other people in the class chuckle, Patrick’s face turning red with embarrassment.

                “Why did you have to do that, Autumn? Are you trying to make everyone laugh at me?”I laugh, trying to come up with a good comeback but Jacob beats me to it.

                “You’re the one who embarrasses yourself with that dried drool you seem to wear around a lot.” Angela blurts out a laugh, tying to flirt by laughing at all of his jokes while I shake my head back and forth, my eyes closed and a smile on my face.

                “Thanks Jacob, thanks.” Patrick says, rolling his eyes and laying his head back on the lab table.

Angela controls her blasting laughter, tossing her blonde hair flirtingly, trying to grab Jacob’s attention.

                “Seriously, we need to get this done so stay awake or I’ll be kicking somewhere else.” I bend over the lab table, drawing a flagella on the bacteria and beginning the labeling. “Jacob, is that a cilia?”

                “Yah, I think so.” He says, starring at my cleavage, my shirt showing more than I would like it to. Once again, Angela becomes furious, ripping at a loose string on her shirt.

                “Okay thanks.” I say, brushing his attention off as if it was a piece of fuzz as I busily answer the rest of the questions, Patrick falling asleep on the lab table next to me. Jacob copies the answers, checking to make sure he thinks they are correct as I write them and telling me to change them if they are incorrect. We walk up to turn them in together, his hand brushing against mine as if he was debating whether he should take it or not. I turn the lab in on the corner of Mr. Marcus’ desk and walk back to my desk, sitting down behind Jacob as Angela and Patrick return to their seats.



© 2010 Luna


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

There is tension between the three at the lab table and then there is relief with Patrick. I like how that works out in this chapter.

Posted 14 Years Ago


i can't wait to read more:)

Posted 14 Years Ago


I like this chapter I think it's amazing.
Wonderful imagery and detail in this.
Very well written.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 2, 2010
Last Updated on January 2, 2010


Author

Luna
Luna

Civil War Capital, VA



About
I am a helpless romantic who also loves to attempt to write romance adventure (my novel Maiden Voyage for example) but I tend to try to stick more to poetry. I am southern (yes, I do have an accent) a.. more..

Writing
Failed Failed

A Poem by Luna


Crutch Crutch

A Poem by Luna


Regrets Regrets

A Poem by Luna



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Y Y

A Poem by Dillon Cotter


The Beginning The Beginning

A Chapter by Luna