Chapter 1 Daisy-Anne Harpor

Chapter 1 Daisy-Anne Harpor

A Chapter by WritersSoul
"

This is Daisy's daily life

"
"Daisy!" I heard my father shout from the door, I heard early birds tweeting away without a care in the world.
          My fathers brisk walking up the stairs made me shoot out of bed, I stretched first, feeling my muscles and tendons working with me. My little window in my little room enlightened my whole space. It was too early.
           My door crashed open.
"Thank god you're up," He began to turn around. "You need to start work."

I walked down stairs in my only jeans I have that were torn and wearing away, a plain old blue top and raggy old socks and beaten up trainers. Since the state we're in, we couldn't afford much.
           All my life I thought we would live a fairytale, then I remembered all too well of a little black girl being beaten up by the white boys. Oh yeah, that was me.
           My father kept saying that we'd never be equal, our skin meant there was a fine line between us, and that's why we got treated differently.
           My straight black hair up in a messy bun, and my fair dark skin, unblemished and spot-free. I didn't hate my life, but I had to work extra hard to get what I wanted. I wated to become a famous poet.
           My father didn't agree, then again, he didn't agree to anything.
He walked along the kitchen floor, the tiles worn and dirty. The fridge in poor condition and cupboards wasting away, could hardly contain anything now.
          
My father was a big build, with darker skin than me, and huge black eyes, he had a scar on his right cheek from when he was attacked in 1910. He was a soft old man, his hair was starting to fall out, and greying. He was known as Big K, or Kalvin Harpor. I loved him more than life, my hero. My mamma died in a fire, I was at my nanas house, and my father tried to save her, almost killed himself. I missed her so so much, now I only had my daddy and my nana.
            My nana was also known as Nana Fling, from her bingo days, then when the Segregation got outta hand, she had no choice but to stop.
           Shes the only family I got left along with my father, I was an only child.
"Here," Daddy placed a big plate in front of me, it had on beans, that filled my nose with sickness, then I seen the bacon and egg. I sat and munched through it all. Daddy placed a full cup of freshly squeezed orange juice. "Gotta big order today, I know you don't like working in them big ol' fancy houses but--"
            "Don't worry, daddy," I smiled, "I got this."
His smile was sweet, his small yet large mustache played along with the smile, like his mustache was smiling at me too.
           "Thank you, baby girl." He always called me his baby girl. "You're 16 in a few month, I wanna know what you want for your birthday." He smiled sweetly.
           I looked down at myself and thought,
new pair of jeans?
Then I thought my father couldn't afford the full shopping. I couldn't stand being this way, I wanted to live in a safe house that didn't scare me if the roof ever might fall on top of me when I'm sleeping.
           "Nothing, daddy," I smiled. "I'm fine." He looked deeply depressed.
"Baby girl," he placed his hands on the table surface. "I know you haven't gotten much since we lost your mamma," He hesitated. "But I'm tryin' my best here--"
           "And you're doin' a brilliant job, daddy!" I outspoken. He smiled.
"Thank you baby girl," He came over and kissed my head. "How about a new pair of jeans?" He looked down on me with big black eyes.
            "Sounds great daddy." I smiled.


© 2011 WritersSoul


Author's Note

WritersSoul
Just so you know, Daisy is black and lives in poverty, her dream is to be a famous poet and live in a big house! Thank you for reading!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Really liking Daisy, such a mature and sweet girl...and her daddy Big K is a great character so far too...very loving they are and have warmth for each other.... excellent so far and love your lingo usage that captures the essence of the 2 characters so well indeed...already can't wait for more, what will become of them and her poet dreams...their income/status/society hardships, more characters etc etc.

Love it:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I like this. Your story is inviting and captures your audience well. The opening line is fantastic with the contrast of strife in yelling vs the serenity of the birds... hoping this contrast is a foreshadow of chapters to come... and it would seem so as your premise is a girl who hopes for more than a life of poverty. Nice writing here, no complaints at all... Let's see how this progresses in ch 2...

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

We know all this by reading the story. one thing that you shouldn't do is start a story off with backstory. it's better that we wonder why a character acts a certain way and then explain their past.

Since the state we're in, we couldn't afford much- We can't offord much because of the situation we're in.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

They're sooo cuteee :)
and I've never seen anyone like Daisy, lol.
and Big K is an awesome name, lol...cool daddy !!
I'm sooo gonna read the second chapter x)



Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Really liking Daisy, such a mature and sweet girl...and her daddy Big K is a great character so far too...very loving they are and have warmth for each other.... excellent so far and love your lingo usage that captures the essence of the 2 characters so well indeed...already can't wait for more, what will become of them and her poet dreams...their income/status/society hardships, more characters etc etc.

Love it:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

404 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 19, 2011
Last Updated on September 19, 2011


Author

WritersSoul
WritersSoul

South Shields, bloop, United Kingdom



About
I am Beth/Bethan/Terri-Beth as my friends like to call, and I'm 15, 29/04/96, and started writing when I was about 13..? And now I get depression really bad and do things I should'nt and thats why I w.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..