ch4

ch4

A Chapter by bmess

Ch 4

The next morning my new maids were busy all around me.  Filling up the tub with steamy water, I hopped in.  They offered to help clean my skin, but I insisted on doing it myself.  I was awestruck again at how little the rich had to do for themselves.  I mean they can’t even be bothered to clean their own body with their own hands?  Once I was clean and dry, they began dressing my hair, fussing with it and pulling it this way and that.  I finally commanded them to put it in a simple braid, there was no need to have my hair done up for today.  The maids did as I asked, but not before adding their own twist.  Instead of just a braid I found my hair braided, but with a smaller braid woven within. 

Expecting to be dressed in the simple gown I had worn the day before, my eyes widened as they saw two new gowns from the tailor.  I had never known a woman could work so fast.  The first gown was a forest green with gold decaling.  The green matching my eyes.  Thread of gold was woven in beautiful patterns down the front, the sleeves long.  Along the neck line was a seam of ruffles.  I had never seen anything so beautiful.  The dress next to it was also breathtaking.  In a lilac color this gown was much less fancy, but still just as stunning.  This one had an overcoat built into it, making it warmer for the winter months, but could easily transition for spring.  Instead of gold it had a silver pattern sewn into it, making the dress more grey than lilac.  The sleeves were looser, as well. While the green had been tight all the way down, the cloak sleeves were tight till it hit the writs. From there it flowed down the sides.  

“I want to wear the green.”  I said.  Without any hesitation the maids grabbed the dress and started to dress me.  The process just as annoying as I remembered.  Good god why were these dresses so tight? When a mirror was brought to me, I realized why.  The dress accentuated curves I didn’t even know I had.  My breasts nearly spilling out, my flat mid drift and wide hips. 

“Madam.”  One of them said.  “I think you could win over any prince in a gown like this.”  

I blinked.  My world crashing for a moment.  The prince.  Yes, that is why I am supposedly here.  To win over the prince.  But wasn’t he betrothed to the Lady Isobel?  My cheeks warmed as I realized they weren’t engaged, nor betrothed.  How stupid could I be?  I couldn’t dwell on my mistake, I had an act to keep up.  

Pretending my blush was from the compliment I said, “Thank you.  Do know where he likes to be?”  

The maids shake their heads in unison.  “We rarely ever see the prince.”  

I frowned, well this was going to be harder than I thought.  “Thank you anyway.” I say. “I couldn’t have been able to wear this gown if not for you.”  

They giggled as I left the room.  Standing in the hall I saw a few maids here and there, dusting or rearranging items.  Many had sheets in their hands along with other various things.  Deciding I needed to move I started a stroll through the castle.  I knew this half of the castle pretty much by memory, but there was a lot of it unexplored for me. 

Heading past the dining hall I found a wide room, high ceilings, and countless portraits on the walls.  Slowly I walked by them, making my way from one end to the other.  The paintings were lovely, each tremendously detailed.  After seeing a few I noticed that they were past kings and queens.  At the end I found a portrait of our current king and beside him, the queen.  

On my walk I found many beautiful rooms, some I could decipher their purpose, others seemed like they were just for decoration.  I found an enormous library that housed various books.  How in the world did people find time to read so many?  Suddenly feeling the need to read a few pages of a few books I closed the doors.  I couldn’t read and I wasn’t about to make that public knowledge.  I was about to make a turn down another hall when I ran into a hard chest.  

“Oh I’m sorry.”  A male voice said.   

Looking up, I met the stare of two chocolate eyes framed by lashes that would make any girl jealous.  Full lips laid under a straight nose.  Realizing I had been staring at him I stepped out of his embrace that he had wrapped me in when we collided.  As soon as I was free, two different hands were on my arms, slamming me up against the wall.

“Is that really necessary Bale?”  The boy asked the guard who was now holding me captive.  

“Who are you?”  Bale demanded. 

“L-L-Lady Odessa sir.”  I stuttered, fear paralyzing me.  

Bale didn’t back down. “I’ve never seen you around here before.”  

“I’m visiting, I got here yesterday.”  

He pushed me harder against the wall.  “I wasn’t notified about any visitors.”  He growled.

The boy sighed. “Let her down, she will do me no harm.”  

Bales head snapped to glare at him.  “And how do you know that sire?”  

“Because she looks scared enough to soil herself for one.”  

Bales’ eyes met mine again, then he dropped me to the floor. A sigh of relief left me.  They don’t know.  You’re fine.  Bale returned to his position next to the black haired boy, but he still watched me suspiciously. 

“I’m sorry about that as well.”  Said the boy. 

I shook it off saying, “Its fine.  You’re lucky to have someone who is that loyal to you. He was just doing his job.” 

A crooked smile appeared on his lips.  “Thank you, but still it was rude of him.” The boy glared at the guard.  “Where are you heading? Maybe I could show you the way.”  

“Oh, I was just heading back to my rooms.”  

“Well could I still join you in your walk back?  I bet I could teach you a few fun facts about this old place.”  

I found myself smiling at him. “You may. But you have to keep him in check.”  I said, nodding at Bale.  

The boy laughed.  “As you wish madam.”  

As we wandered back the boy would stop here or there, telling me about where a certain vase came from, the artist of a magnificent painting, the lands where the lush rugs were imported from.  He made it all sound magical, and never once was a bored from a word he said.  He kept me asking questions.  Questions he knew all the answers to. I was amazed at how much knowledge the boy had.  He must be a scholar of sorts.  While we explored Bale kept his distance by trailing behind us, but never out of his sight.  

We made it to my quarters and the boy grabbed my hand and kissed it.  “Will I be seeing you around some other time lady Odessa?”  He asked.

I blushed at his gesture. “Yes, I think you will.”  Realizing I did not know his name I added. “It seems that I have given you my name, but not you yours.”  

He looked at me, a confused appearance to his eyes.  Then he smiled, a gleam replacing the confusion and said, “I believe you are correct. Lady Odessa allow me to introduce myself.  My name is Tahvo.”   

“It was nice meeting you Tahvo.”  And with that I opened my chamber doors and went in. 

My maids were dusting, cleaning and even sewing as I entered.  Leaning against the closed door, I let a small smile emerge.  Tahvo was kind.  Much too kind to be around such cruel people.  The knowledge he had though.  He would teach me the history of an item and actually make me want to know more.  He was the light in a cave of darkness.  

“Lady Odessa, what would you like for lunch?”  

Oh dear, it was midday already?  And to think I hadn’t even finished seeing the whole castle.  Maybe Tahvo would like to show me a bit more tomorrow.  At the thought my pulse beat a bit faster.  

The maid was staring now, expecting her answer.  I blinked forcing myself out of my daydreams and into reality.  “Um, what is the menu?”  

“Well, anything you want ma’am.”  The maid replied.  

Of course.  Stupid question.  

“Yes, right. I’ll have . . .” What did people have for lunch around here?  I had never been able to choose, only taking what was available.  Thinking back to all the food I had stolen over the years I decided on some.  “I’ll have the dressed salmon with two hot rolls.”  

She nodded and went past me to deliver my order to the kitchen staff.  It was still weird to me.  Having so much.  Not having to worry about being cold, hungry, or clothed in rags.  Walking through the rooms of my chambers I wondered what I could do.  I needed some busy work as people called it, but didn’t know what it would be.  Many people liked to read or sew, but those things were out because I didn’t know how to do those things.  Entering the music room the grand piano caught my eye.  The glistening of its wood and the detailed stings and levers on the inside drew me to its checkered keys. Slowly, I sat on the cushioned bench before it and gently ran my fingers over the keys.  I had never seen an instrument of this size, nor heard a note from it.  

Three brass pedals laid next to my feet, pushing on them I found that nothing really happened except shifting a keys. I brought my fingers down on to the white keys and a loud, harsh sound filled the room.  The sound jolting me and making me realize just how quite the room was.  Having the sudden need to fill that silence I tried a few more notes, some light and high like a birds whistle and some deep and dark like thunder.  Some notes went well together while others clashed and made me wince at the horrific noise.  The meal I had ordered came to me, but I didn’t bother touching it.  I was too enticed by the instrument to care.  Adding the pedals, the sound grew louder.  Echoing longer.  It was beautiful.  After hours of playing, I decided I wanted to learn how to play it properly.  And so in the morning I would find someone to teach me.  Maybe ask Tahvo since he was so educated in everything.  He must know how to play.  

A Maid came in as I stood from the bench, my bottom nearly asleep from hours of sitting.  She again asked for my order.  I looked at the meal she had delivered for lunch, cold now and untouched.  Then I glanced back at her. “Isn’t dinner in the dining hall?”  I asked.  

“Only when summoned my lady.”  She replied.  

How odd. One day I dinned with the King and Queen, the next left to dine alone.  Feeling my anger toward the royal family surface I remembered everything that had done to my family and was suddenly repulsed by the idea of sitting at their table.  Mayhap it was better this way.  I dismissed the maid saying I would eat the meal I had ordered earlier. 

“But lady, it has grown cold.”  

“That does not matter, it is food and it would be foolish to waste.”  I snapped.  I had eaten plenty of cold meals in my life time.  This one wouldn’t even bother me, though I was a little sad the rolls would not be warm.  Dismissing her, I started the meal.  Even cold it was one of the best meals I had ever eaten.   After the meal I laid down on the plush couch, sinking into its cousins.  My eyes fell, and sleep took me.    

The next day I looked for Tahvo, retracing my steps from the day before, but found him not.  Disappointed I went back to my chambers and tried playing the instrument again.  About a couple minutes in, a maid appeared in the door way.  

“The queen would like to invite you to tea.”  

Tea with the queen?  She could hardly be bothered to dine with me yesterday so why was she summoning me to tea today?  I was about to reject her offer when I remembered my place.  I was acting as a guest in her home.  Even though I did not like the idea of being near any members of the royal family I had to keep my act up.  

“Right now?”  I asked.  

The maid nodded.  “Very well.”  I said.  She guided me to a parlor on the second floor. As I entered I saw many other ladies all talking with one another.  The gowns were striking each one prettier than the next.  The Queen was sitting at a table in the middle, lady Isobel on her left and other ladies around the table.  

“Lady Odessa.”  Announced a short bald man who I hadn’t noticed was standing next to the doors.  The queen glanced up and smiled.  Waving her hand she gestured to come to her.  Arriving at her table, I curtsied. All too aware of the stares of the other girls.  

“It is so nice of you to come.”  Said the queen.  

I forced a smile to my lips. “It is an honor to be here.”  

“I saved you a seat.”  She said and pointed to an empty chair; three down from her.  I took my seat and instantly a server was there filling my cup with steaming black tea.  Oh gosh.  I didn’t even know if I liked tea.  Nerves shot through me. Looking to my left, I watched the girl next me sip her tea.  Not too fast, and with a grace I knew I could never pull off.  She noticed me watching and smiled.  

“Hello.”  She said setting her cup on its saucer.  

“Hello.”  I replied, embarrassed she had seen me watching her.  “Sorry for staring at you.  I just don’t want to mess this up.”  

She looked surprised, but laughed. Light and airy.  “Oh, don’t worry.  My mother won’t judge you on how you dink your tea.”  

Mother.  She was the queen’s daughter.  Now I could see the resemblance.  Raven black hair like her father, but blue eyes of her mother.   Her figure was thin as was the queens.  Given how close she sat to her, I should have known the queen would have her family the closest.  

I giggled along with her. “Thank goodness. I’m Odessa.”  

“Princess Adamaris at your service.”  

I laughed at that as well, but her face turned serious and said. “No, I am actually at your service.  My parents have told me I am to be of service to my country since I was a babe.  It’s quite annoying.”   

“I’m sorry.”  I said truthfully.  

She shrugged it off. “It’s okay.  I just sometimes wish I didn’t have all of this on my shoulders.  I’m not even the second to the throne, my brother is.”  

Yes her brother.  The prince.  The prince I still had to meet. 

She continued. “And even after him there’s Danae who’s in front of me.”  Gesturing to the girl next to her.  

I nodded in understanding.  

“I’m sorry.” Apologized Adamaris. “I shouldn’t talk like that.” 

I shook my head. “No, no you’re fine.” 

“Anyway, let’s just enjoy our tea.”  She said picking up her tea cup.  I followed, bringing my own cup to my lips.  The hot steam warmed the tip of my nose, the bitter smell engulfing me.  Slowly, I took a small sip.  It was bitter.  Very bitter.  The drink tasted as if someone poured water and salt together.  I tried my best not to make a face and set it down on the saucer.  How did people like this stuff?  Grabbing a cookie from a platter, I shoved it in my mouth. The bitter taste was replaced by the sweetness of the chocolate.

Adamaris giggled beside me. “Too bitter?”  I nodded.  “Why didn’t you add sugar or cream?”  She asked. 

Sugar, cream?  You could add those to tea? 

 “I didn’t know you could.”  I said, and again I was surprised by the honesty of my answer.  I had to be more careful, I could easily say the wrong thing and be put to death.  

She scrunched her eyebrows together. “You didn’t know?  Did your mom not offer them?”  

I looked at my cup, suddenly very interested in it.  “To be honest I never had tea with my mom.”  

She gaped at me.  “So have you ever had tea?”  I shook my head. 

She was quiet and I was scared.  Scared she would throw me out or something.  I had said too much.  Damn my stupid mouth.  Why couldn’t it lie better?  Why did the truth have to slip out?  

Finally she spoke. “Well, since you never had tea before, I will educate you on it.  How to properly dink it, the various types of tea and we will learn what kinds you like.  Before you know it you will be an expert tea drinker.”  

I let out a sigh of relief. Tears stung at my eyes.  This girl, the queen’s daughter, was being nice to me.  I should be out casted by her, but instead I was being accepted.  She was being a friend.  

“Thank you.”  I said.  

Adamaris returned my smile.  “No problem.  It will be my pleasure.  Plus I’m happy to have a new girl around here.  It can get quite boring.”         

I laughed.  The worry melting from my shoulders.  She passed me a dish full of sparkling sugar and ordered me to pour some into my tea.  As I was shoveling the sugar into my drink the door opened. 

 “Prince Tahvo of Geodoxa.”  The bald man announced.  “Son of King Eadric and Queen Sarah.” 

The spoon of sugar that I was holding dropped.  The clanking of it echoing through the now hushed room. My eyes found him.  He was standing there and was indeed the boy I had meet just the other day with his bushy brown hair, and a grin full of white straight teeth.  I know knew why he had had a guard with him and why Bale reacted that way.  Conversation started again and he started toward our table.  Focusing my attention on the mess I had made, I picked up the spoon to where it had fallen on my patter, then started scooping up the sugar.  

Tahvo had made his way to our table and was embracing his mother.  I kept my eyes casted downward.  He was the prince.  But, why didn’t he say that yesterday?  Why lead me on like that.  Because he was a royal.  And he did not care about others.  But when I looked up I saw a boy who did care.  It was how he talked to his mother, how he talked to many of the girls at the table.  Lady Isobel was rubbing his back, and shooting daggers at the women he chatted with.  He did not even glance in my direction, not a word spoken between us before he headed out of the room.  Lady Isobel giving him a quick kiss on his cheek.  

I was silent for the rest of the party.  

The next day I paced my room.  I refused to play the Piano and I didn’t want to walk through the palace in fear I may run into the princess or Tahvo.  Pivoting toward the window I realized I wanted out.  Out of this damned castle where it was much too stuffy.  I wanted to feel the wind on my face, hear the crunch of snow beneath my feet.   I wanted to go outside.  Was I allowed to do that? Go walk the grounds?  Well let them try and stop me.  Walking out of my rooms, I kept my head high, back straight and I headed down the stairs to the main level.  I was going to find a way out, there had to be a door somewhere.   It didn’t take me long to find the main castle doors.  They were tall, almost making it to the second floor; and surprisingly easy to open.  A cold gust hit my face, making my nose instantly runny.  I had missed this.  I never realized how I had never really been inside for a day or two.  Pulling my cloak tight around me, I walked.  I didn’t know where I was going, nor when I would get there, but I just walked.  I passed beautiful rose busses, trimmed hedges, and other ladies who were dressed much more fancily than I.  

After walking for some time, I began to hear noises.  The stone pathway turned to dirt, and my eyes soon saw what I would guess was the training facility of the castle.  Despite the cold, most men were shirtless.  Running laps, climbing various things as of rope, and walls with and without foot holes.  I stopped and watched as they trained.  Some were hand to hand fighting, some with swords or shooting cross bows at targets.  I was in awe of how strong they were.  How dangerous they could be.  A man I was watching wrestle with his colleague, pinned him to the ground.  The boys head in the man’s strong arms, a move that could easily handicap or kill the boy.  He made a tapping gesture and the man jumped off him.  Helping the boy up, the winner turned and I saw the brown eyes of the prince.   



© 2015 bmess


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

191 Views
Added on July 12, 2015
Last Updated on July 12, 2015


Author

bmess
bmess

About
A 19 year old writer for fun! more..

Writing
ch1 ch1

A Chapter by bmess


ch 2 ch 2

A Chapter by bmess


ch3 ch3

A Chapter by bmess