ch 8

ch 8

A Chapter by bmess

ch 8


“Show me your stance.”  Commanded Prince Tahvo who stood only a few paces in front of me.

I lifted my arms and made my hands into fists, then tucked them close to my body.  Eyeing me Tahvo clicked his tongue.  

“Wrong.”  Was all he said. 

Sighing I thought back to when I had watched the other knights fight.  They were quick, quick as striking cobras, but always went back to the same stance at the end.  I moved my right arm in front of my left, but still kept them close to the sides of my torso, and hunched my back.    

“Still wrong.”  

Grinding my teeth with frustration I thought again.  Tahvo’s stance was anything but helpful since he wasn’t doing anything special, and- Wait.  What if that was the trick?  No one would see an attack coming if you stood as a normal person would.  I placed my arms back to my side and raise a brow at him.  He only frowned.  

“I told you to show me your stance.”  

“I am.”  

It was his turn to raise a brow.  “Well, since that isn't any stance, its wrong.  Again.”

Throwing up my arms in defeat I exclaimed, “I give up!  I have no idea what stance I am looking for.  Thats what you are here to teach me.”  

His eyes gleamed.  “Good job.”

“Good job?  Good job?!  Thats what I get?  Will you please tell me what is going on?!”   

“What is going on is your first lesson.  You should be proud you caught on so quickly, most knights don’t.”  

“I am not a knight.”  I growled.  

“No, you're not.”  He agreed.  “But you are learning the same material a knight does.”  

My eyes rolled on their own accord.  “And so now that we have that cleared up do you mind telling me what my so called first lesson is?”  

“Well since you asked so nicely . . .”  

My fist swung and he easily caught it before I could do any damage.  Dropping my arm he continued.  “The first lesson is ask for help when you need it.”  

I’m sorry.  Did he just say what I thought he said?  Ask for help?  What kind of lesson was that!  

“Ask for help?  Any one would know that.  I am not stupid Prince.”  

“I never said you were.”  He replied.  “And that lesson is what could get you killed if not learned.  You should be proud you caught on so quickly.  Most knights go days or weeks with out making progress in their stance since they have no clue what it is.  Their egos keep them from asking, keeps them from learning.”  

“So you just set me up with a task you knew I would fail?” 

Tahvo shook his head. “No, you would have gotten it eventually.”  

Oh I was fuming now.  It was clear he thought nothing of me, just that I was a girl and one who was an idiot.  He acted as if I should be grateful that he even bothered to teach me at all.  Pivoting on my heel I began for the door.    

“Where are you going?”  He called after me.  

“I’m leaving.”  I snapped as I reached the wooden door. “Have fun with your little lessons.”  And with that I was gone. 


In my rooms I went straight for the piano.  I was still sweaty from training, but I didn't call a maid to draw a bath.  Once at the piano I saw the piece that I was learning in front of me.  Anger roared through my veins.  Anger of what, I didn't know, but I threw the music to the ground and started pressing keys at random.  My fingers favored the lower, darker tones and soon the world around me fell away and I became lost to the music.  

When I finally stopped I took a deep breath.  Blinking I realized I hadn't even heard a thing I played, nor did I remember any of it.  Hell, how long had I been here?  Looking up I saw a yellow rose atop the lid of the instrument.  Who had put that there?  God I had been out of it.  Taking it in my fingers my eyes fell to the ground where my sheets of music were scattered.  The sound of a door opening made my eyes swing to the door way.  My instructor had arrived.  As he walked in his gaze fell to the mess on the ground.  His lips pressed together.  

“I am glad you think so highly of music.”  Was all he said before he gesture me to pick them up.   Tossing the rose on a near by couch deciding I would get to the bottom of that mystery later, I gathered up the music.  

“Lets see what this sounds like today.”

Sitting back down, I took a deep breath, focused on the music and played.  What came out of my playing would not be called music, but at least my instructor would correct my mistakes.  

“Little improvement.”  He grumbled. “Keep practicing.”  

Collecting his things he left.  Holding the piece in my hands I slouched.  My head was pounding and I was utterly exhausted.  Who knew piano could take so much out of you?  Deciding sleep would win this round I went and changed into my night gown, it was barely six o’clock, but oh well.  As I climbed into my enormous bed a knock sounded again.  

“Come in!”  I called.  

I don’t know who I was expecting, but I sure as hell knew it wasn't the Prince so you can imagine my surprise as he stepped into my chambers.  Seeing me already changed and in bed Tahvo arched a brow.  

“I’m tired.”  I said blandly.  I did not owe him any other explanation than that.  

“I can see that.”  He replied.  

I held back my eye roll.  I was set on not showing how annoyed I was at him, he didn't even deserve that.  

He nodded to my bedside table where I had placed the rose in a vase of water.  “I see you got my present.”  

“You sent me that?” 

Tahvo nodded. “You didn’t even hear me come in and I decided not to bother you and left it on the piano, which by the way your playing sounded lovely.”  

I snorted.  

He frowned.  “I mean it.”

“I’m sure you do.”  Flattery it was all he was here for.  The Prince who thought he could probably get out of any trouble with it.  Well, not with me.  “If you don't mind I would like to get some sleep before getting woken up before dawn tomorrow.”  

“Thats what I came here to talk to you about.” 

“Oh really?”  I snickered.  “Come to say that you will teach me useful things instead of deep meditations?”  

“Oh, everything I will teach you is useful.  Just you wait and see.  Oh, and if you had stayed and not run away when things didn’t go your way, you would have actually learned some defense moves.”

My eyes narrowed.  “Or you could just teach me instead of trying to make me figure it out.”  

“Regardless of this pointless conversation, I won’t be training you tomorrow.”  

I blinked.  “I’m sorry?”  

He sighed.  “My father summoned me to his study last night.”  

I nodded.  I had been there when his sister had delivered the message, but what did this do with my training?  

“I am needed on our borders for a couple of weeks.”  Tahvo continued.  “Things are getting . . .Tense.”  

I released a breath I hadn’t realized I’d been holding.  My fists unclenched my sheets. “But you will continue my training when you return back home?”  I asked.  

His lips lifted into a soft smile.  “If you will allow me.  Although by the looks of it, I thought you didn't want my training.”  

His words were true, more true than I wanted to admit.  I had acted like a brat and couldn't see how lucky I was that someone would actually train me.  I lowered my gaze to my white sheets.  “I’m sorry.  I acted out of line and should be grateful of your training.”  I lifted my gaze once more into the brown eyes of the Prince.  “I hope you can forgive me.”

“Lucky for you, I have a kind heart.  You're forgiven.”  

I smiled. “Thank you your highness.”  

He held up his hands in a mock defeat. “No thanks necessary, you should see how the knights treat the captain and I while training.”  He chuckled.  “I can understand why you reacted the way you did.  I just didn't expect that from a Lady of the court.”  He laughed again.  “You actually walked out!  No one has ever done that, they are too scared they will get a brutal beating from their teacher.”  

I laughed.  “I hope you haven't come to beat me.”  

His eyes turned cold.  “No, no I would never treat any woman with disrespect as such.  Even if they are learning how to defend themselves.” 

I had never seen this side of the prince, a side of tenderness and a kind heart.  If I didn’t know any better I liked being his . . .His friend.  A term I would have never used before now. But the plans looming in my mind shut down the enjoyment.  I couldn’t be his friend.  All this, was an act, a form of flattery.  And God, I hoped it was true, because if it wasn't an act, wasn't fake . . .I don't think I could kill him.  And that scared the hell out of me.


A clink woke me.  Looking to my right I saw that the sun was just beginning to rise, the sky a beautiful bled of orange and pink and hues of blue.  A clink sounded again.  Searching for the source of the noise I remembered the nails I had dug into a candle stick so when the wax melted the nails would fall creating a noise.  A noise to wake me from my slumber.  Rolling over to my bedside table I blew the candle out and dragged myself out of bed.  The floors were icy cold and I hissed.  Wasn't spring just a few weeks away?  Why was it still so blasted cold?!  Shrugging on my robe and finding my slippers I went to my dressing room and found the clothes the prince had brought me.  

Once I was clothed I put on my dark mahogany leather cloak and headed out side.  When I got to the edge of the forest I dropped my cloak there.  The prince may be gone, but I could still train as if he were here.  Not able to tell how far was a mile or not I decided I would run until collapsing.  I would push myself and boy how I wanted to see the look on his face when Tahvo returned and I could go farther, faster.  So I took a deep breath, and ran and ran and ran.  I got to the point where I had to stop; my lungs were burning and I could barely see straight.  And then I took one step more.  After that step I bent over and retched up the contents of my stomach.  Which wasn't much since I had yet to eat.  Even though my stomach was empty my body continued to dry heave, so much so that I ended up soiling myself.  Thank god the Prince wasn't here to see this.  Once it was over I wiped my mouth and went back to my room to clean myself up before continuing with my training.  

My maids thought me delirious when I locked them out and practically ordered them to come back later.  I needn’t anyone seeing me train.  It was my secret and I wanted that secret kept.  Once the hours went by and my training concluded, I unlocked the door to my chambers.  About five maids stood there, glaring.  I gave a sheepish grin and a shrug of my shoulders as if to say what can you do? They shuffled in and I could tell this was going to be a long day ahead.  

I was eating a steamy bowl of beef stew when the Princess waltz in.  “Is that tea I spy?”  

Glancing up from the tea cup, that was indeed filled with warm, tasty tea, I nodded and smiled.  Who would have guessed I would have called tea tasty?  

“We should have the royal painter come and paint this.  It needs to be remembered.”  Joked Adamaris.  I set the cup down.  “Oh, I don’t think I could pose for that long.”   

“Nonsense.”  She said as she sat down.  “Trust me, as a Princess I’ve had to pose much longer than it would for a quick speed painting.”  

“Speed painting?”  

“Yes, It’s where an artist doesn't go in all out detail as he would with a portrait for something important.  It would still be beautiful, but not as sharp as a portrait.  And need I mention much faster.” 

“Still.” I said shaking my head. “I’ve plenty of portraits at home, I need not another.”  

The Princess shrugged.  “If you say so.”  Grabbing the ornate pot she poured herself a cup of tea.  “What shall we do today since my brother isn’t here to hoard your attention?”  

I nearly choked on the biscuit I’d been chewing.  “I wouldn't say he hoards it.”  

“Then what would you say he does with it?”  

“Um,”  I said as I pushed my food around on my plate.  “I don’t know.  I’m his friend.”  Didn’t friends usually spend a lot of time together?  I didn’t know since I’d never had one.  

“With benefits”  She mumbled under her breath.  That time I really did spit out my tea.

“I’ve already told you-“

Adamaris laughed. “I know! I am only kidding.”  I still gave her a glare which just made her laugh more.  As much as I wanted not to, I couldn't help but join her in laughter.  After all, my reaction was quite humorous.  Once the laughter died Adamaris took a sip of her tea.  

“I was thinking of going for a ride, would you care to join?”  

I shook my head and focused back to my breakfast.  I had already been through the woods today and I really had no desire to go back.  It would just remind me of my training.  And all the work I still had to do.  The Princess frowned.  “Well, why don't we head into town.  I’ve been dying to get out of the castle and shopping would do me some good.”  

Shopping.  Buying unnecessary items out of want, or in the Princesses case, boredom.  Probably a result of all that money burning a hole in her pocket.  If we were to go into town Adamaris would no doubt spend money on lavish items.  And those items would probably cost a lot of money.  Money I did not have.  

“You know, I may just stay in and practice my music.”  I finally said.  

“Oh, come on!”  She exclaimed.  “Come with me!  I’m bored to tears and rarely get to have a friend around in the castle.”  

She wasn't going to drop this was she?  Biting my lip I looked away from her.  Focusing on the gold drapery around the window.  “I have something to tell you.”  

“What is it?”  

“I cannot go with you to shop.”  I admitted.  Holding my breath I hoped this wouldn't blow up in my face.  “On my way here my carriage was ransacked by thieves, leaving my servants dead on the road and me penniless.” 

The Princess sucked in a sharp gasp.  Taking a deep breath of my own I willed tears to my eyes.  My lips to wobble.  “I have no money to buy anything while here.  It will only be when I return home to my father, will I have access to money.”  

There was a silence that wrapped around us.  

“I’m sorry.” She whispered.  

I nodded, “So am I.”

“Well,”  spoke the Princess.  “We are going to go into town and I will be glad to buy you a dress or two.”

She stood.  “Have your maids dress you in a nice dress.  I’ll go see if mother and Danae want to come.  It will be a girls day in the town!”  And with that the Princess was gone.  I loosed a breath and then called my maids.  I was going into town.  


The carriage was nothing short of breathtaking on the inside as it was on the out.  We sat on plush rose seats, the walls of the carriage dressed in a shimmery light gold with an elaborate pattern of roses and flowers and vines.  Across from me sat the eldest princess, Danae looking stunning in a magenta gown with loose sleeves.  Her hair was dressed in a heap upon her head.  A few pressed curls cascading down her back.  The Queen sat next to her, dressed in a deep eggplant and a gold tiara on her head.  Her hair was simple, it was pressed and left down.  Adamaris sat next to me, looking the same as she had at breakfast.  My maids had dressed me in a lilac color, my hair in a braid.  

I turned my attention from the women inside the carriage to the window and what lay outside of it.  The castle gates opened wide as we glided through, then the town was infant of me.   The town I knew like the back of my hand.  The place I had grown up in.  A shiver of hope ran through me.  Maybe this would make them see.  See how retched this town was. 

 The carriage stopped in front of a boutique I had passed by thousands of times.  Amende Vetement. Only the wealthy could afford this store.  This I knew because of years of watching people get kicked out and rejected.  There was even a door man.  As the Queen stepped out the man bowed low.  A crown began to gather around.  Her majesty wasted no time and headed straight into the store.  As I climbed out of the carriage I kept my head down.  These were faces I saw practically everyday.  Even if they didn't see me huddled in the shadows.  I did not wish to be recognized.  

Inside the lavish shop the sent of peony hit me.  Scented candles; a luxury indeed.  Many shops did not posses them since they were so scarce, not to mention the truck load of gold you would have to pay for them.  Weaving my way deeper into the shop I heard Adamaris laughing along with her sister.  The queen stood by the left wall, observing a fur coat.  The shop keeper stood in the back by the register.  Dressed in fine clothing, a pair of circled eyeglasses rested on his nose.  

“Can I help you with anything my dear?”  He asked.  

I smiled. “No, thank you.”  He only nodded in reply.  

“Odessa!”  Adamaris shouted from inside the shop.  I turned toward her voice and she soon came running over to  me.  “You have to get this dress!  It would look stunning on you!”  Grabbing my hand she led me to where her sister stood, observing a gown.  

“I think your sister wants it.”  I said.  

The youngest princess rolled her eyes.  “Not that one!  This one!”  I turned to where she pointed.  Breathing failed me as my eyes landed on the dress.  My hand flew to my mouth, covering my gape.  The dress was . . . well there were no words to describe its beauty.  Its corset was a robin egg blue with ivory pears beading a intricate design here and there.  A bow hit at the waist where white billowing skirts took over.  The dress didn’t even have straps.  

“Told you.”  Adamaris said smugly.  

I swallowed.  “How much is it?”  

“Three gold coins.”  

The breath was knocked out of me again, but for an entirely different reason.  “That is too much.” 

“Please Odessa, its like you don’t even know who I am.  The princess, remember?  And If I recall you said you would let me buy you something.” 

“Not something so expensive.”  

“Its barely a drop in the bucket for me.  Please let me get it for you.” 

I shook my head again.  She stomped her foot like a child.  “You do realize I am buying you that dress whether you want me to or not, right?”  

I clenched my jaw.  She was going to be stubborn.  Barely a drop in the bucket.  Spoiled girl.  “Fine.”  I said.  “Buy it.”  She clapped her hands together with glee.  

“Yay!  Oh, you will look magnificent in it!”  Then Adamaris ran off in the direction of the shop keeper.  I sighed.  Let the princess spend her money while she could.  And besides, I did love the dress.  I chuckled.  The rich giving to the poor.  What irony.  

Hours later we were waiting for another carriage since the first had to be sent back due to being full of bags with cosmetics, clothing, and other items.  There were at least a dozen guards around us.  Keeping the gawking crowd away.  Across the rode I saw an old man sitting against the wall.  His face caked with dirt, greying hair.  To his side lay a tin cup.  For money.  His light blue eyes met mine, full of sorrow I knew all too well.  

“Adamaris.”  

Her head jerked in my direction.  “Yes?”  

“That man.”  I nodded in his direction.  “We should give him a copper or something.”  

She followed my gaze.  A frown appeared on her lips, then Danae snickered.  

“And why should we do that?”  The princess asked.  

“Because he is obviously starving.  Not to mention cold.”  I replied.  “If we gave him money he could get a blanket and perhaps a hot meal.”  

“The only thing he would use the money on,” Sneered Danae, “is alcohol, drugs, or for a night of pleasure from the harlots.” 

I clenched my jaw.  Don’t.  Don't do anything Christina.  A rage like I’ve never known hit me.  How? How could someone be that judgmental and just plain wrong?  Tears hit my eyes, but I blinked them back.  I was not going to break down.  I was better than that.  I crossed my arms over my chest to hide my clenched fists.  I inhaled . . .exhaled.  Again and again.  The carriage pulled up to the curb.  It was a quiet ride back to the castle.  I buried the rage deep inside.  I would unleash it soon and when I did . . .God help anyone who gets in my way.  



© 2015 bmess


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

178 Views
Added on August 8, 2015
Last Updated on August 8, 2015
Tags: book, LITERATURE, THIEVES, reading, writing, author


Author

bmess
bmess

About
A 19 year old writer for fun! more..

Writing
ch1 ch1

A Chapter by bmess


ch 2 ch 2

A Chapter by bmess


ch3 ch3

A Chapter by bmess