ch 5

ch 5

A Chapter by bmess

Ch5

He smiled as he saw me.  Grabbing a towel, he wiped his face of sweat and walked toward me.  

“What are you doing here?”  He asked.  

“Um.” I said.  I scrunched my face up in thought and equal confusion.  “I don’t know.  I guess I just wondered off.”  

He chuckled, “Well you can stay and watch the knights and I train if you would like. Or I could show you the way back.”  

“I’ll stay and watch for a little while.”  I found myself saying. “But I don’t know what most of them are doing, nor the purpose.”  

Grinning he said, “Why don’t we walk around and I give you a little lesson in combat.”  

“As long as I’m not doing any fighting, I think that would be a great idea.”  I slipped my arm through his and we began through the training field.  The ground was slick from melted snow and constant activity.  Hardly any dead grass was visible, only mud and snow.  I cringed as the bottom of my gown became soaked and the sound my feet make as they sank into the soft ground. 

“Over here are the longbows.” We stopped behind a line of around five men with large bows in their arms.  I watch as they all grabbed their arrows, pulled back the string and let them fly.  The arrows cut through the air, then sunk into their target that was 400 men away.  So small in the distance that I could only make out a spec.  

“Very impressive.”  I said.  He gave me another smile for that comment, and my stomach did that stupid thing that it had been doing.  

We continued on stopping before crossbows, sword fighters, hand to hand combat, and many other war techniques. We finally made it to where the nights were climbing tall wooden walls.  Some struggling, but most completing the task.  We watched as a man stepped up for his turn.  Placing his hands on the wall, he found where his hands could get good support and started his climb.  About ten steps into it, his foot slipped and he came crumbling down.  I sucked in a tight gasp, my hands flying to my face.  The prince flinched, but did not show any movement to help the man.  

Knights quickly ran over to help him.  Picking him up, they called for a healer and started their way to a brick building where I assumed they all lived.  Turning, the prince led me back to the walking path.  My little tour over.  

“You should head back in.” His head nodding toward the castle.  “It’s getting colder out, and I see I have ruined your dress.”  

Ruined? It was ruined? Oh gosh, how was I to explain this now?  Peeking down at the fabric I was surprised to only see it wet coated in mud.  Hopefully we could just wash it out, but I had no experience with this rich of fabric.  

I met his eyes, “I think you and I have a different opinion on what ruined is.”  

He chuckled.  “Even so, you should go and change, get warm inside.” 

I nodded and thanked him for the tour.  Then I turned and walked back to the doors of the castle, where a maid rushed over to help me carry my skirt so the dripping was minimal.  Then my own maids helped me out and put me in another simple gown, this one with no corset and for that, my lungs were grateful.

I headed back to the music room, the piano calling me to its glossy keys.  I ignored the instrument and sat down in front of the fire again.  The prince had been right, I was cold.  The fire warmed my numb hands, making my eyes close.  While I sat there enveloped by the hearths heat my thoughts drifted to my sister.  She was in the cold, on the streets, and here I was in a castle warm as could be.  I swallowed a lump in my throat.  This life wasn’t going to be mine forever.  I would leave eventually, but when was still up in the air.  The realization of leaving hit me like a rock.  When had I gotten so used to court life?  I had only been here for a couple days.  

I shoved myself to my feet, leaving the fire.   I didn’t deserve to be enjoying this.  I didn’t belong here and I needn’t get comfortable here.  I headed toward the tall windows, the sky grey and cloudy.  My gaze searched for the village whose streets I called home, but only found a wall of stone in my way.  I gritted my teeth.  Did people here know about what lives peasants lived on the other side of the wall? I bet not. Not when there are starving people in those streets. People who had bleeding limbs from the cold of the winter.  The court didn’t get to hear the crying of children in the night.  Their stomachs empty, and no one to look after them.  The walls were too thick for that.  Too high.  The rage for these people built within me again, and I remembered why I was here in the first place.  

My hand had found its way to the glass.  It formed into a claw, my nails squeaking against it, as if to tear down that wall adjacent from me.  To show them all what was there.  The ugly, brutal truth.  But I couldn’t knock down that wall.  I couldn’t make them see the people on the streets.  So I brought my hand down to my side.  And turned away from the sight of the window.  That’s when I made my way to the piano.  My fingers acting without much thought.  I didn’t care if I sounded horrendous, my hands played the keys.  No one was there to stop me.  

After a few hours of playing, my fingers ached.  I sat back on the bench and timidly glanced toward the windows.  I was surprised to see that the sun was setting.  Had I really been playing that long?  The sound of someone clearing their throat made me jump.  Turning my head I saw the prince lounging on my couch.  The heat of a blush formed on my cheeks and neck.  

“I didn’t know you could play.”  He said. 

I looked down at the plush carpet. “I can’t”  

He raised his brow.  “That sounded like you could.”  

Shaking my head I replied, “No, I just press some keys and hope for the best.”  

There was a pause and then he said. “Well it wasn’t horrible.”   

I laughed, “Nor was it good!” 

He cracked a smile and a blush came with it.  The reaction made him look as embarrassed as I felt.  And then my heart did this flutter thing and I stopped laughing. What was up with my body?  Why couldn’t it just act normal!  I mean he was the prince!  A boy I was supposed and needed to hate. But I hadn’t been prepared to be in the castle for so long.  To get to talk to the royal family and to be treated so well by them.  No.  I hadn’t been prepared at all.  

He caught on to my somber mood. Clearing his throat he said, “Would you like to learn?”

Staring at him I realized he was serious.  “If you would like to teach me.”  I said.

He cracked another crooked grin. “Now if that happened, we would end up in the same place we are now.”  

I laughed even though I told myself not to.  I had to get control over myself.  It was all an act I told myself.  I was on their territory after all.  Had to play by their rules.

“Well then, how will I learn?” 

“I could hire you a teacher.”  

Hire me a teacher?  Was he serious?  I couldn’t allow him to.  

Shaking my head I said, “No, no, no.  I don’t need to learn that badly.” 

“I insist.”  

“No. Teachers cost money, and I do not wish to spend yours.”  I replied.  

Tahvo rolled his eyes.  “Please, I have too much already.  Plus what good is my money if not able to spend it on gifts for a beautiful lady.” 

Beautiful?  Gifts?  Oh gosh did he really think that of me?  He wouldn’t think those things if he knew the truth.  I thought to myself.  

“You are very kind.”  Was all I said in response. 

The next morning while my maids were primping me for the day a knock rattled at the door.  I gestured to one of the maids to go answer it.  She came back with  a puzzled look on her face, “There is a man here who says the prince sent him.”

The prince sent hi- oh yes now I remembered our little chat about the piano, but I hadn't expected him so soon, nor this early in the morn.  

I nodded at her, “Thank you, please show him the music room and tell him I will be with him shortly.”  

She curtsied and left.  

“How would you like your hair today?”  said the maid who was dressing my hair.  

I thought about it, I never really did anything to it on account that I was homeless and could barely get water to drink, let alone bathe in.  Before I had slipped in here my hair was always a mess of knots.  It was only when my maids washed it and slipped a comb through it that  I got to see the light bounce off it, and find that its texture was straight as a board.  I had no idea what to do when it came to my hair, I would leave that to more knowledgeable people. 

“I trust you will make a good choice in the matter, I do not have a preference.”  As soon as the words were out of my mouth, she began weaving her fingers through it.  Moments later the mirror revealed two braids on either side of my face, working their way back where they met and flowed back into the rest of my hair.  I smiled.  It was perfect.  

“I do not like to be kept waiting little girl.”  Said the fat man who was perched on the bench of the piano.  A rush of possessiveness ran through me at the sight.  I hadn't realized how attached I had grown to the instrument until now.  

“My apologies sir, his royal highness did not notify me that you were arriving today.”  

The man huffed. “Well come on! We have no time to waste, there are other places I am needed today girl.”  

I scurried over and plunked down onto the bench beside him.  

“Now, lets start with a scale, play C scale.”  

C scale? What was that? With my nerves rising I played some keys at random, hoping they were correct.  

“Have you ever learned how to play this?”  He asked.  

Biting my lip, I shook my head.  He sighed.  “This is going to take longer than I thought.”  

By the end of the hour my head was pounding with information that I was told to have memorized by the next day.  In that hour I had learned what the C scale actually was and various note names.  I learned how to place my hands and could kind of play a child’s bedtime song.  My teacher had been right, it was going to take longer than he thought.  

The next few days fell into a routine of sorts, Every morning the piano teacher would come for an hour filled with frustration, but diffident progress.  Then when he would leave I would spend more hours over the checkered keys, playing again and again what I had learned or just doing my scales and warmups.  The piano became a bright spot in this dreary world.  

On Sunday while I was into my third hour of playing a maid appeared in the doorway.  

“Yes?”  I asked as I continued deeper into the song.  

“The Princess had requested your presence my lady.”  

My playing stopped.  “The princess?”  

The maid nodded.  “She would like you to join her for an afternoon ride.” 

“A ride? To where?”  I asked.

The maid became flustered, “She did not say my lady.”  

I thought about it, I was supposed to hate this family, yet the princess was nice when I had conversed with her at tea that day.  Was the whole damn royal family this kind?  It sure looked like it, and hating them was becoming harder each day.  

“Very well,” I rose from my seat. “Lead me there.”  

The maid giggled into her hand. I scrunched my forehead in confusion.  I saw nothing funny about my request. 

“Mind telling me the reason of your laughter?” 

In an instant the maid sobered, her eyes wide with fear.  I placed that fear in her by a question alone, this power over people was frightful.  

“Sorry ma’am, but it’s just that you will need to change before we can go.”  

“Then why didn’t you just say so?”  I asked.  

“Well, I expected you would know that.”  replied the maid.  Oh what a sloppy mistake!  How could I be so stupid!

I blushed, then said, “The fact slipped from my mind.”  

I strode past her and into my dressing room where maids began to undress then redress me behind my changing screen.  Once the maids were done I emerged and my eyes went straight to the mirror on the wall.  The riding gown was a cornflower blue with lace at the cuffs of the sleeves that were adorned with elaborate patterns stitched in white.  My feet were in two dark brown leather boots that would help me ride, or so I was told.  I had never been riding, so this would be an interesting adventure.  Behind me a maid placed a big white hat on the side of my head so half of my face was covered by its shadow, making me look mysterious, and dare to say this was the closest thing to beautiful I had ever been.  

“Now you are ready Lady Odessa.”  said the maid.  I slid my eyes toward her and the corners of my mouth rose. 

Good god these creatures were huge.  My maid had brought me to the stables where Princess Adamaris was combing the horses long sleek mane.  The animal was about a head taller than me and full of muscle.  

“We are going to ride them?”  I asked shakily.

She tossed her hair over her shoulder as she glanced back at me. “Of course. Why? Are you scared?”  

“Me? Scared?”  I tried to fake a laugh and failed miserably, even the princess frowned at the sound.  

“Haven’t  you ridden before?”  

Great, another thing I would confess to not know.  I should just be put to death now.  But playing the part of lady Odessa, I lied.  “No, my fathers estate is in the snowy Altus Mountains. We don’t get to ride much on the account of constant snow most days and when I do go out, father arranges a carriage.”  

Adamaris nodded in understanding.  As she turned her attention back to her horse I let out a breath, I was still safe.  I was still alive.  And that in itself was a blessing. 

“Have her ride Kachina, she won’t be a pain like Udom.”  Said the princess as she smiled at the horse before her.  As if the animal knew he was being spoken about he huffed into her face.    Adamaris laughed in response.  The stable boy nodded and headed to a stall where a light grey mare lived.  Her eyes were kind and she didn't fuss as the boy dressed her with a saddle and reigns.  

As the horse walked past me I shrank back to the wall, I had seen the prince on a horse, but that was when I was much farther back from them.  Now I was mere inches as it was guided to the grounds.  I heard a giggle and turned to see Adamaris.  

“Don’t worry, she is a big animal, but sweet as can be.” 

I nodded in response, my body shaking too hard to respond.  Timidly I followed the princess, making sure to stay far enough back from the beast so that I wouldn’t spook it and end up with a broken nose.  The stable boy gestured to come up to my horse, for how scared I was, there was no mistaking that this was a beautiful animal.  Her coat gleamed in the light, her main almost matching my hair in color flowed down the side of her neck.  Warm brown eyes gazed at me as I approached.  

“Put your hand out in front of you.”  The boy said.  I did as I was told, and soon my hand was pressed up against her nose.  she snorted and I jumped back, my heart in my throat.  

Adamaris fell into a fit of laughter as she watched on.  A blush entered my cheeks. 

“Will you help me on it?”  I asked the stable boy. He nodded and a small wooden stool materialized out of thin air and the boy placed it next to the animal.  

“Put your left leg here,”  He pointed to a loop. “Then throw your right leg over and you should be good.” 

 I nodded and timidly put my hand against the horse, then slid my foot sloppily through the loop and hesitated before continuing.  

“Here, hold my hand and on three lift your leg over.”  

“Okay.”  

He slid his hand into mine, “One . . . two . . . three!”  

squeezing my eyes shut I thrust all of my weight into my leg that soared over the horses back and when I opened my eyes, I was in the saddle.  On the back of a horse.  

“Whoo!” cheered Adamaris as her horse trotted over to me. 

“Oh my god. I did it.”  

“Yes you did! Now, you ready to ride?”  

“Only if we don't run I think I’ll be fine.  Wait, how do you make it walk?”   

“Dig the heels of your boots into her side.”  Replied the princess

I flinched.  “Doesn’t that hurt her?”

Adamaris shrugged. “Not that we are aware of, she is trained to walk when you do it.”   

I nodded then did as she had instructed.  When nothing happened I frowned.  “Why isn’t she moving?”  

“Try pressing harder, trust me you wont hurt her.”  

Taking a deep breath, I kicked and was jerked back as she began to walk.  

“Whoa! Whoa! How do I stop?”  I yelled.

“Pull the reigns!” 

Grabbing the thin leather I pulled back with all my might.  She came to a slow halt.  

“That was terrifying.”  

“You were doing great!”  Said Adamaris when she pulled her horse next to mine.  “You were just startled.”  

Startled seemed like an understatement, my heart was pounding making me light headed.  My breath in short spurts.  Startled, no. Scared out of my mind, yes. 

“Do you want to try again?”  Asked the princess.

I didn’t respond right away, letting my heart calm down instead. Once it had, I swallowed the lump in my throat and said, “Yes.”  

We continued on like that, me getting used to the feeling of the horse walking beneath me and getting familiar with how to ride while Adamaris provided encouragement and support.  After about an hour of circles I was ready to try a trail.

The princess picked one covered by trees making it feel like we were in the wilderness an far away from the castle grounds.  The snow was still lingering here, with icesicles hanging from branches over our heads.  My fear melted as we rode deeper, horses actually weren't that scary once you got aquatinted with them.  Big as hell, but not scary.  

“Oh no,” groaned Adamaris, “Big brother alert.”  

The prince was here?  A few more steps from my horse and he came into view.  A smile somehow made its way to my lips, but when I saw who was beside him, glaring at me, the smile vanished.  

There in all her glory was Lady Isobel.  She was in a gold dress and her hair in an ornate style atop her head.  I had never really realized how pretty she was, and it made me angry.  Stop it! I thought to myself.  Why are you upset? Because she's with the prince?  You have no claim on him, he is allowed to be with any girl he wants.  No matter how much I thought about this, the twisting in my stomach didn't stop.  

“Well hello brother.”  Greeted Adamaris.  A cough came from Isobel's' direction.  Sighing Adamaris said, “Hello Lady Isobel. How are you today.”  

“I am well, thank you, but it is just a little cold for my taste.”  

I nearly laughed out loud.  I had been on the streets in more snow than this, colder degrees than this, and she was complaining.  She wouldn't make it in my world for a minute.  

“Feels fine to me.” I said.  Her eyes flew to me, a flash of surprise sparked in them. 

“Lady Odessa,”  She said. “I didn't see you there.”  

I smirked in response.  This girl was not among my favorites.  

“Where are you two off?”  Asked the prince.  

“I cold ask you the same brother, but not far, just wanted out of that stuffy castle.”  

The prince nodded.  Lady Isobel could not have looked more bored, as if we were not worthy to be in her presence. 

“We should go Tav.”  Cooed Isobel.  Tav? Oh give me a break.   How did he even stand her?  She was a typical lady, stuck up, stupid, and incredibly spoiled.  What isn’t there to like about that?  Not my problem.  

“Yes, we wouldn't want you to get too cold out here now would we?”  I snapped.  A sharp inhale from Adamaris let me know I had said the wrong thing, but did I care? I had nothing left to lose.  Except my life . . . there was still that.  

As the prince flashed a glare in my direction he said, “Yes we should.”  

They passed by us and Adamaris waited till they were out of our sight before scolding me.  

“What were you thinking?!”  She yelled.  “She is a lady of the court! Isobel is to be treated with respect!”  

I chuckled.  “Yea and I’m a lady too and how much respect has she shown me?”  

She pressed her lips into a thin line. “Isobel is a b***h.”  

“And needs to get her a*s of her high horse.  She is a lady, not a princess like you, nor a queen.  She needn’t to act like one.”  

Adamaris tried to look angry, but a grin gave her away.  She burst out laughing and I followed, the whole ordeal was quite laughable if you thought about it.  

Once our laughter died down she looked at me and said, “I think you will be good for this place.”   

I smiled.  That was probably the nicest thing a person had ever said to me. 

“I think so too.”  

***

That night I put my old clothes on and grabbed the rope I had stashed under the massive bed.  Gathering it into my hands I opened the window.  A few feet away stood the cold stone of the wall.  The wall that separated the peasants from royalty.  Swinging the rope, I threw it.  A throw I had perfected over the years.  Once it hit its mark I gave it a tug, making sure it would hold.  Grabbing the sac that laid at my feet, I tied it to the rope, then leaning back I got into a comfortable position and thrust my body forward.  My feet collided with the wall and I bit my lip from the sting in my legs.  Pausing only for a second I allowed the sting fade and I began the small climb to the top of the wall.  

After descending I walked though the muddy streets of the town.  The buildings quite, even the pubs.  It was much too late for hardly anyone to be up at this hour.  When I made it to the ally my sister and I called home I was welcomed with a sight that stopped me cold.  I had forgotten how ugly and brutal the life I lived was.  My sister was curled up in a ball shaking, the thin blanket atop of her, mud for a mattress.  The food I had brought on my last visit was long gone, nothing but scraps remained.  An ache I hadn’t felt in a long time filled my heart.  Sorrow.  True sorrow.  Sorrow of a child who had their father killed right in front of them, their mother ripped away.  I was not going to lose my sister too.  Thats where I drew the line.  I set the bag down by her head, not wanting to wake her. Backing away I let the hatred seep back into my bones.  The king knew nothing of the life of his subjects out side the palace walls.  Knew nothing of loss.  

I made a decision right then and there.  I would make sure he did.  I would take away what he loved most, and then I would take his life.  Yes.  Thats what I would do.  As I prowled back to the castle, my head was held a bit higher, back straighter.  In my mind I created my plan, a plan to kill the royal family.  



© 2015 bmess


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 12, 2015
Last Updated on July 12, 2015
Tags: princess of thieves, book, writer, fantasy, fiction


Author

bmess
bmess

About
A 19 year old writer for fun! more..

Writing
ch1 ch1

A Chapter by bmess


ch 2 ch 2

A Chapter by bmess


ch3 ch3

A Chapter by bmess