Baby

Baby

A Story by Braden Freeman
"

This is a comedy about people who use the word "baby."

"

I was a little nervous as I entered the restaurant in Chinatown. My Chinese roommate had set me up on a blind date with his sister. I had never been on a blind date; truth be told, I did not go on many dates, because I was somewhat shy and more focused on my studies. In addition, my roommate told me his sister loves to be called "baby," and this was not something I was comfortable calling people, especially people I was just meeting for the first time. I decided I would take my friend's advice, hoping that my use of the word might help me build a connection with the young woman.


My heart pounding, I entered the restaurant. To my surprise, a lovely young lady greeted me at the door.


"Hey, baby," she said in a Chinese accent.


"Good to meet you, baby," I replied.


Puzzled by this encounter, I reluctantly sat down at the table with my date. She began telling me about herself. She was working with disabled kids at an agency downtown. Apparently, she had some disabled relatives back in China and always wanted to help that particular population. She seemed like a very nice person, but I was still very troubled by her frequent use of the word "baby."


At the conclusion of her story she asked me the question: "What do you do for a living, baby?"


I decided to ask her about her strange obsession with the word "baby." I told her I was a little uncomfortable with calling her "baby," and then asked her why she likes the word so much.


She laughed, and told me that we had fallen victim to one of her brother's classic practical jokes. Apparently, her brother had told both of us to use the word "baby," even though in reality neither one of us had any special attachment to the term.

© 2015 Braden Freeman


Author's Note

Braden Freeman
Is this funny?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It is funny . Its crisp and brief and thats how I like funny stories to be. Its a pleasant little piece ad put a smile on my lips .

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nice little story. I enjoyed reading it and I thought it was written well. Good work!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Braden Freeman

8 Years Ago

Thanks. Good to meet you.
I don't know if others feel the same way, but I laughed! ^^ I myself prefer not to be called, or call anyone "baby". Calling someone "baby" sort of makes me feel like a pedophile :/

-Lysta

Posted 8 Years Ago


Lysta

8 Years Ago

How did the blind date go in the end? :D

-Lysta
Braden Freeman

8 Years Ago

I will work on some more.
Lysta

8 Years Ago

I'll look forward to it! ^o^

-Lysta

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

194 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 28, 2015
Last Updated on September 22, 2015
Tags: Comedy, Baby, Relationship

Author

Braden Freeman
Braden Freeman

Calgary, SW, Canada



About
I live a simple life in Calgary, Alberta. I currently work with the homeless. I want to make the world a better place, and writing is one way compassionate beings uplift the human race. more..

Writing
Nature Nature

A Story by Braden Freeman