Golf

Golf

A Story by Braden Freeman
"

Golfing and life: how they mirror each other.

"

I went golfing with my father today in Kelowna. I knew it would be challenging for me because this was my first game of the year. I started off quite well: the ball was going straight, my swing felt nice and smooth, and I felt very comfortable over every shot. About halfway through the game, things took a turn for the worse. I started to hit some poor shots, my balls went in the woods, and in a flash, a game I was enjoying turned into an exercise in mental torture. I finished my round with as much grace as I could muster, which was not very much.


What I have come to understand is life and golf are not so different. Just when we think everything is going our way, things have a way of evening out. Right when we seem to have everything in our hands, in our control, life slips out of our grasp, exerting its own power and reclaiming its mystery. Truth be told, life is mysterious and we cannot always expect to control our destinies. We may become under the illusion that we have our lives under our powers of will, but this is rarely the case, though we try.


I know that I need to enjoy my ride through life, with all the failures and successes. I will continue to play golf, continue to fight against the current. The only thing I can guarantee is my life will be a mystery, filled with the unexpected. I cannot control the events of the future, so I will do my best to embrace the unknown and to let go of my personal need for control.

© 2015 Braden Freeman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I find this thoughtful, wise, and very well written. I am here to tell you these things are true, and that's why I always shake my head at those who think they've got everything in the bag. Hope for the best, but expect the worst. Another thing to consider is Murphy's law.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Braden Freeman

8 Years Ago

Thanks a lot. I will have to look up Murphy's law because my dad often references that as well.
the methaphor is obvious and supericicial. the conclusion is trite and treacle. plus, the metaphor is flawed. we may not have much control over what happens in life, but with practice, we can develop greater control over our golf game. the two are simply not the same.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Braden Freeman

8 Years Ago

You seem anal retentive. I am sure if I analyze everything I can find flaws with your work as well.
Jeremy

8 Years Ago

I welcome any criticism because it makes you a better writer. I may have mistaken this site as one f.. read more
Braden Freeman

8 Years Ago

The ego is what judges people, so you seem to be lacking in wisdom. You might want to look at your s.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 7, 2015
Last Updated on September 22, 2015
Tags: Golf, Life, Mystery

Author

Braden Freeman
Braden Freeman

Calgary, SW, Canada



About
I live a simple life in Calgary, Alberta. I currently work with the homeless. I want to make the world a better place, and writing is one way compassionate beings uplift the human race. more..

Writing
Nature Nature

A Story by Braden Freeman