Returning

Returning

A Chapter by Julia

 “Luke?” I called. He turned to me with a smile on his face. There was no mistaking that smile with his shiny, straight white teeth. The ones that had once knocked into mine during an awkward kiss. His hair was still the dark brown it had been back when we were younger. He would be 23 by now, and out of college. What was he doing in Manhattan?

“Breelynn Matthews?” Luke asked. “Well, I didn’t expect to see you here.” I finished paying, and he gave me a small greeting hug.

“I can say the same for you. What are you doing in Manhattan?”

“I live here now.”

“Really?”

“Yep. Working here as a surgeon for the hospital.” He said with pride.

“You always did like the human body.”

“And the blood.”

I let out a small laugh. I always used to joke with Luke, and called him a vampire. He never really slept at night, and instead took long naps during the day, and his fascination with blood was a lot more than the average person.

“So, what are you doing here?” He asked.

“I actually live here, too now. I go to NYU and I’m double majoring in Film and Photography.”

“Like you always wanted to.”

I nodded.

“Got that penthouse that you always dreamed of?” Luke joked.

When we were dating, I had plans of our marriage and how we would live in the fanciest penthouse in New York City, and have family dinners every night with our two kids, Clark and Juliette. Obviously, that would never happen now. When we broke up, I still had the same plans. He was just never in them anymore.

“Not yet.” I grinned.

We walked out of the market and out onto the sidewalk. Jack was trailing along behind me. I could hear his annoying whistling. “Well, I’m sure you will one day.”

“You bet.”

We stayed silent, just walking toward the subway. After a long moment, he spoke up.

“Are you seeing anyone?” Luke said curiously.

Jack started laughing hysterically strolling along behind us. I felt like I couldn’t breathe. Was I supposed to lie? Or was I supposed to say no? Jack answered my unvoiced question.

“Truth, Bree, truth.” Jack ordered.

“No.” I finally answered.

“Me either.” He admitted.

We walked down the steps of the subway, and grabbed our metro cards. We continued to talk about how things were going as we sat on the subway. Before he got off at Canal Street, he turned to me. “You still have the same number, right?”

I replied with a nod.

“I’ll call you tonight.” He told me with a smile, and slipped out before the subway doors closed.

Jack was laughing beside me. “And you said it wouldn’t work.” There was no one else in the car with us, so it was safe to talk to him.

“He hasn’t called yet. So, therefore, it hasn’t. And it won’t work, if I don’t cooperate.” I flashed him a smirk.

“Breelynn, you better answer that phone.”

“Aw, you really do want to leave me that bad, don’t you?”

He glared at me. I didn’t say anything else. I didn’t want to know that he really did want to leave.



© 2009 Julia


Author's Note

Julia
I'm probably adding more to this.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on December 10, 2009


Author

Julia
Julia

Columbus, GA



About
I'm Julia Aleece Watson. I'm fifteen, and I'm a hopeless romantic. I write novels and I never finish them. more..

Writing
Stars. Stars.

A Poem by Julia


Demons. Demons.

A Story by Julia