Chapter Seven : Siera

Chapter Seven : Siera

A Chapter by bree.bennett
"

Stereotypical boy drama starts to occur.

"

Tones, bounce, and then static until the bus settled again. One of the downfalls of riding the bus was always the bumpy ride back home. The driver took a different route on the way to school but, back home was always full of pot holes and unfinished pavement. I was trying to listen to the albums I just downloaded on my phone but, my headphones were basically trash so, a tiny bit of movement and static was the only thing I could get. I looked up from my back seat to check out the front of the bus. My eyes settled on the back of Tuck’s head as he talked to a group of his friends. You’d think after dating for a year maybe he’d want to sit with me but, I didn’t really mind, I knew his friends were really important to him.

                Tuck and I met last September. My family and I went to an animal rescue to get our first ever dog and, I was so ecstatic about the furry addition to our family, I didn’t even notice the cute boy handling the dog. He had a sparkling blue gaze that latched onto mine like Velcro. I had instantly melted. After falling for his dark hair, chiseled features, and attitude toward the animals, we started talking and then started dating shortly after. He was a junior and I was a freshman so, some people questioned it, saying he was “too old” for me but, I tried to not let it get to me. Love knows no age right?

Tuck was on the football team so, he knew literally everyone. I was known to everyone as “Tuck’s girlfriend” but, I don’t really mind. It’s kind of cool being associated with someone as important as him. I tried to make it to every game to support him but, I never really got to talk to him since he was playing. He was super sweet and brave and, everything I’ve ever wanted in a guy.

 A couple of months ago, things started to change. He didn’t text me as much, he hung with his friends more than me and we haven’t gone on a date, just the two of us, in a really long time. He used to call me nicknames like babe and C but, it doesn’t really happen anymore. He says it’s because we’ve passed that “puppy dog” phase but, I’m kind of sad that it’s over.

I looked over to my right as something sat on the edge of my bus seat, making it move slightly. Christa, my best friend since third grade, stared at me with a deep furrow in her brow and a toned frown on her face. “Why do you let him do that?” She asked, pointing to Tuck near the front of the bus.

“I’m letting him have his space. We can’t be together every moment of the day or he would get annoyed.”

“If he was really in love with you like he says, then he would want to spend every living moment with you.” Christa flicked her hair behind her shoulder like she always did and stared over at Tuck with a narrowed set of eyes.

“Look, we’re fine! He loves me, he just also loves his friends.” I smiled at my friend and waited for her to stop frowning.

Christa rolled her dark eyes and crossed her arms, “If you say so. I just don’t want you to get hurt. “She looked out the window, trying to dodge the glare I was throwing her way.

“I’m not going to get hurt! Stop being so worried all the time!”

“I’m just looking out for you.”

 I jolted my head up as the bus came to a screeching stop. I nodded and looked back at Christa for a minute. “I promise, I can handle things!” I gathered all my stuff next to me in the seat and headed toward the front of the bus. As I brushed by Tuck, he stopped me and kissed me quickly on the cheek. “I’ll come pick you up later for bowling okay?” I smiled and nodded as he brushed my shoulder with his rough hand. I flicked my hair behind my ear and continued down the bus aisle, exiting and walking down the sidewalk. I passed by a few houses before reaching the nicest one in the neighborhood.

The house had three stories and was pure white with light blue everything; including shutters, door, and roof.  I looked around; hoping no one on the bus saw which house I got to. Don’t get me wrong, I am super thankful for what I have but, if people saw I had this house, I’d be called a rich brat for the remainder of my life. I opened the door with my key and sauntered in, locking it behind me. 

“Luna!” I called, setting my bag down in a chair in the dining room. I smiled as I heard claws skittering across the wood flooring as Luna slid from room to room. I whirled around to be greeted by a large white fluff ball. Luna jumped up, putting her enormous paws on my chest and trying to reach my face with her tongue.

“Okay, okay! I’m glad to see you too!” I slowly sat down in front of her and rubbed her ears, looking into her blank eyes. Luna was a white German shepherd we had rescued from the shelter a couple months back.  We saw her in a pretty blue collar and instantly fell in love with her. She was abandoned when she was just a puppy because she was born, different. You see, Luna is blind in both of her eyes. She can’t see a thing but, she’s still the sweetest dog you’ll ever meet and, she just happens to be my best friend.

We left the shelter without her and I cried for three days because I just wanted her so bad. Mom and Dad showed me pictures of other puppies I could have but, I wanted her. I felt obligated to help that poor pup in any way I could. So, that next week, I walked in to find Luna tied to the banister in front of the front door. I think I somehow cried more once we had her. Dad said she was an early birthday present and I had to be the one to feed her because he wasn’t the one who wanted a dog. We’ve had Luna for 3 years now and Dad still plays and cuddles with her when I’m not around.

Having a blind dog becomes challenging at times because you have to make a lot of noise. We’d pat our legs, clap, and whistle so she would know where we were. She’s seemed to settle quite well with us and learn how to use her other senses to help with her lack of sight and I’m so proud of her for all of that.

“Come on Luna. Do you want a treat?” I said in a squeaky puppy voice, standing and patting my thigh. We raced up the stairs to my room and she sat patiently as I opened her treat bag. I threw the treat and once it hit the ground, she picked it up swiftly.

“Good Girl!” I cheered, rubbing her ears again. I ran my hand over her face and smiled, watching her close her eyes as she felt the pleasurable feeling of petting. I flopped down onto my bed and patted the pile of blankets next to me. She jumped up and pressed her fur against my leg, always wanting to be close to someone. I smiled and petted her back softly. I wrapped my arms around her neck and sighed, feeling my face hit her velvety fur. I looked up at my round clock and watched as the little hand officially reached the 4.

“Mom and Dad will be home in an hour and then I’m leaving at 6”, I muttered, half talking to myself and half informing Luna of today’s plans.

“Until then,” I grabbed my remote and flicked my TV on and clicked the Netflix button.



© 2015 bree.bennett


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

57 Views
Added on August 30, 2015
Last Updated on August 30, 2015


Author

bree.bennett
bree.bennett

TN



About
Favorite Author - Neil Shusterman Favorite Book - Variant more..

Writing