Didn't I Save Lives?

Didn't I Save Lives?

A Chapter by Brooklyn

I wake up in the morning dreading the day to come. It’s gonna be really hard to explain away the, like, third degree burns. I had put this soothing stuff on them last night and wrapped them in gauze before heading to bed. It will also be hard to explain why “a guy of my brain capacity” failed Biology this term Yeah, I’m looking forward to that conversation. The Mayor’s son flunking. I can see Dad’s disappointed look now.

He keeps telling me that I’m a genius and that if I just applied myself, I could achieve great things. The only thing I’d like to achieve is the power to become totally and completely invisible. There is enough pressure being the mayor’s kid without adding the stress of having super powers on top of it, but I couldn’t even be programmed with invisibility. The universe hates me.

And now as I get out of my bed, I unwrap my hands and look at them. Huh. I healed. That’s handy. Well that takes care of one issue. I’m part relived and part really, really concerned. I was getting more powers. Let’s tally, shall we?

Super strength: unfortunately not yet to come

Speed: may have acquired it last night

Brains: yes, I just prefer to keep them hidden

Weird ability to heal self: I guess so…isn’t that what just happened?

Invisibility: as I’ve already said, no

Force-field: that would be nice, but not yet

Reflexes: have them in bundles

Water: ummm…no

Fire: remember last night when I got burnt? I have a feeling that that wouldn’t happen

Earth: let’s just say that I don’t have any of the elements (not the science ones either so don’t ask. I’m not Iron Man)

Flying: another useful skill that I don’t have. I would like this one very much

Time: oh what I’d do to have that one

I walk into the kitchen to find my dad talking on his Bluetooth with some other important person that I really don’t care about. He sends me a look as I shuffle to the fridge that says: If you disturb me, you die. Okaaaay. Somebody’s grouchy.

People all think that having the mayor for a dad is really cool. Yeah, when I was seven and still had career day and show-and-tell, it was. Now? Not so much. I quickly grew into my role as being a nuisance to him. And, as I’ve said, a disappointment.

“What do you mean he beat the fire department to the fire?! How could that happen?! Listen to me, Clyde! He is showing up our best men! This needs to be dealt with!” he yells into the phone. I already have a petty solid idea who he’s talking about. That’d be me. Only my dad doesn’t know it.

He continues to talk while I eat breakfast and finally hangs up as I put my dishes in the sink. “So Nameless was at the fire last night?” I ask him nonchalantly.

“Yes, and he beat our best men to it. He is making the whole city look bad.” My dad grumbles.

“But didn’t he save lives?” I ask.

Dad sputters in rage. I said the wrong thing yet again. I decide to leave before he goes ballistic. I grab my backpack and head out the front door.

You’d think that a superhero would like fly to school or something. And a mayor’s kid would have the coolest car in the city right? I take the subway. How’s that for classy?

School. Talk about a nightmare. It’s not like I could be left alone right? Of course not. There are bullies. You know: jocks, populars, etc., etc. And they won’t leave me alone. Sorta like those villains that I battle all the time. The difference? I can’t beat the crap out of these highschoolers. That might be a giveaway.

Not that I don’t have those moments where I’d like to more than anything else. I’m only human. Well, superhuman.

The day goes by slower than normal. Pre Calc then US History then Mechanics then lunch then Biology for the dreaded exam. Maybe someone screwed with the clocks, maybe that’s the reason the minutes seem like hours.

I take my seat in the middle of the class. Not in the front where the nerds sits and not in the back with the jocks and the troublemakers.  And I can’t believe my misfortune when the girl I pulled out of the flaming apartment sits down next to me. Why do I bother being surprised anymore?

It’ll be okay, Seth. You just can’t let her hear your voice the whole time. Yeah right. As if it’d ever be that simple. And I’m not gonna see the strings until I trip over them and fall on my face. I think that’s an expression. No? Well it should be.

And so for the rest of class, I was a mute. The worst part? I had to listen to the girl tell all her friends I saved her from the fire. Or rather “Nameless” did. Maybe I should keep the name Nameless. I mean, that’s what people call me anyway. Anyway, she was going on and on about me all class and I try my best to zone-out until I hear, “Then he took off his mask.”

WHAAAAAAAAAAAT?! Why don’t I remember this?

It gets worse. Just wait for it.

“And then he said ‘I’ve loved you since I first saw you’ and he kissed me. He is the most amazing kisser in the planet.”

1.)  I never said I loved her. I don’t know the girl.

2.)  She kissed me

3.)  You wouldn’t know how good of a kisser I am, because I had to go save your mom out of a fire that destroyed your house. So stop being so peppy.

4.)  It’s on the planet. I rather not be inside the earth, thank you. I think I might die from that. Then again, I might not. I seems to be developing new powers

“Wow,” one of her girly friends coos, “so who’s under the mask?”

“He made me promise not to tell…” the girl says reluctantly. I really need to learn her name. She sighs. “Maybe, just maybe I can tell you later. Once I get the okay from him.” That would be never. But why stop with the lies now when they could have only a small explosion when the blow up in your face. Why not go all out right?

Like I’m one to talk. Lying about, you know, saving New York City civilians. 



© 2012 Brooklyn


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice. Just like the rest of your books this is comeing out as a beauty and going to be great. Just keep working on it. I am starting to wonder about this Seth Jackson. He seems like a neat guy.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I like how you check in and out all the time. Quite creative and it gives a new spin on everything. Should be interesting to see what happens next

Posted 11 Years Ago


I really like it, and can't wait for more. 'Not going to see the strings before I trip over them an fall on my face' sounds like a great expression. Lol

Posted 11 Years Ago


great chapter again. I didnt get the last 2 paragraphs though. They were confusing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Reallly good! Keep writing :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Your story is very well written, with good flow and scene depictions. It reminds me of Spider Man, with the tragic, understated hero. Your character displays qualities that everyday heroes possess in real life, such as quietly helping others in a self-sacrificing way, without thought of compensation. I really enjoyed reading this story. The dialogue is sensible and easy to follow, along with the good character development. Well done!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 6, 2012
Last Updated on July 6, 2012


Author

Brooklyn
Brooklyn

why do you want to know?, MA



About
I'm a fourteen year old girl that is now in her freshman year of highschool. wish me luck!. I'm awful at spelling, and I need to work on "down time" in stories. I also can't seem to write one book for.. more..

Writing
But Not But Not

A Poem by Brooklyn


Nightmares Nightmares

A Poem by Brooklyn


Insanity Insanity

A Story by Brooklyn