The Inner Cheerleader

The Inner Cheerleader

A Story by Bug377
"

Lilly Lawrence tries out for cheer, with no support. Its a story with a zest of sadness but most of the time its a story of determination! read!

"

               My name is Lilly Lawrence. My dad left me and my mom when I was 4. I barely remember him. He walked out one morning and my mom made me walk to school. I felt so bad for mom. Mom is very to herself these days though, ecspecially when I need her. Like now, for instance. I have wanted to be a cheerleader since I found out my mom was a cheerleader in high school, but she was only a cheerleader for a year, because she dropped out of school in 11th grade. She missed a lot of things and is now a waitress at a small diner we have out in the rural part of town. Even though my mom was an underacheiver, I still love her. Even though sometimes I don't exist in her "mom world." But this is the one week in my life that  I actually need her, because this is the week that I can fulfil my destiny of becoming a cheerleader.

               School has been rough because a ton of girls want this. They would (and have) beat other girls up for this.

           "Oh my gosh. Look, Lilly is trying out also. Never going to make; not a chance." I heard Belle, the head cheerleader, say to her possy.

           I turned around and faced the barbie and her friends, that were made of plastic with perfect teeth and hair. "Um, excuse me, but I have the same amount of pep as you do. Just back off. Everybody has the equal chance of making it.  Maybe some.....could get bumped." I turned to walk away.

         

          It was all a blur after that. My mom was on full speed heading toward the nearest state. We were going to South Carolina. Something about my dad moving here made my Mom go bilistic. All I could think about was cheerleading trouts. The only things that I could remember were my Mom picking me up from school and just driving out into the countryside. I thought she must just be taking a joy-ride or running an errand, but after thirty minutes I asked and she didn't answer. It wasn't an hour later until she told me something about Dad moving here....

       We arrived at the Hampton Inn we were going to stay in tonight. It was only Monday night and I have time to think of something to convince Mom to go back to our town, so I could try out, and plus, I didn't like the Idea of living in a Hampton Inn....

 

       The night was long and rough. We got a room and went up and put our bags down (which were small things Mom had thrown into a fake Gucci bag). I had my bookbag and some quarters and phone in a small purse. I plopped down onto the bed and yawned. I heard the door slam. I sighed and got up. There was a note sitting by the sink. "Gone to the Sauna. Mom." Of couse. She is obsessed with saunas. For Christmas last year, she wanted one installed into the house.

       After a hot shower and a glass of flavored water, I layed down on the bed and thought . I thougth like never before. Long and hard. There would have to be some way to make Mom go back to our town. We couldn't live here forever. Mom might enjoy the sauna, but gosh, we just couldn't live here. Belle would think I was a big loser that was afraid to try out. I couldn't wait to wear those red uniforms and have those pom-poms. I could not stand to not be out there on the field cheering on the players.

      It was a long night. Mom watched Tv for what seemed like hours. I can't go to sleep with any background sound. Then she continuly got up to get water or food. Finally I fell asleep and now I am eating breakfast. It was the hotel breakfast that always looked so good but tasted like cardboard. I shoved down a biscuit and some orange juice while my mom went back to the sauna. I wanted to go to the pool later if I had time, but I really wanted to talk to Mom to calm her down and maybe talk her into moving back. There was always a possibility.

       While Mom went to the yoga convention the hotel was hosting down stairs, I took the time to reach for my old flip phone and call my friend Jess. Jess was one of my very good friends who knew that I did not have the best home life, so she was with me through anything. I pushed the 1 on speed dial and it started dialing Jess. On the third ring, she answered. I told her my problem and we got a plan together. She would get her mother to give her a ride to this town and give me a ride to their house. I would stay there until cheer tryouts. Then on that Friday we would go together. I packed my bag and got everything ready. She said she would be there in an hour. I didn't have long. Lucky for me, the yoga convention ended in two hours. I could secretly hop into their car and arrive safely in Kentucky, where their home was.

      I watched TV for about half an hour then I double-checked my bag. But of course, I had everything.  Mom's stuff was exactly where she had left it. Twenty minutes passed by, and I walked down to the lobby. Jess and her Mom had a legacy of being early. Jess's mom was also a single mom, so we kinda shared the same emotions.

      I heard a beep and saw the tan SUV that pulled into the hotel entrance. I grabbed my bag and ran out. I gave Jess the biggest hug I could force my body to do. I chunked my bag into the back and sat down on the worn-out seat. The ride was very long, but I would survive.

      At Jess's house, it was very fun, not weird at all. I got to fix her pretty brown hair and play on her new Apple laptop. It was all fun and games...until the night of tryouts. I borrowed one of her outfits--Nike shorts and Nike top. She loved Nike. We worked on jumps and splits and etc. until about ten o' clock. We went to bed and braced ourselves for the next morning.

     We woke up and ate toast and orange juice, got everything together, brushed our hair and teeth, and headed out the door for school. School was all a blur until tryout time. I was number 2 to go.

     Everybody going out for a spot on the squad were all in the bathroom waiting and waiting and waiting. Finally, it started. After number 1 went, I went out there and nailed it. I thought I did very good. My splits were farther then usual. All I could do was pray.

     After everybody was finished, Jess and I went out for ice cream. Enjoying my first ice cream in 2 years,  Jess told me that I had to go back to South Carolina and to that Hampton Inn, because they had recieved a call from my mom. We walked to the car in silence.

     I fell asleep during the ride and woke up when we arrived. Mom was at the door waiting. She got my bag, grabbed me by the ear, and dragged my into the hotel. I winked at Jess, our secret sign for "Thank You." She smiled and drove away. We went in the elevator, and when we got in our room, my ear was numb. Before Mom started yelling at me, I glanced at the clock. IT was exactly the time the list of who all made it would be posted on the internet. I told mom and I ran down to the computer room in the hotel. Sure enough, the names were up. I was almost crying, scanning the list with my watery eyes. I looked at the 8th graders who made it.

1. Rochelle Bubbles

2. Alissa Bird

3. Becca Miller.

4.Lilly Lawrence.

       Number 4 was a shock. I couldn't believe my eyes.  I had made it. My Mom was also stunned.  She hugged me, and I knew that this year would be the best year ever. Mom was close to me. I wish it would stay like this forever and ever........

 

 

© 2009 Bug377


Author's Note

Bug377
I like this story, but I could not put my idea into words that well.

PS....I know that there is not very much dialoge, but I hope you still like it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

it was very good

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 25, 2009
Last Updated on May 14, 2009

Author

Bug377
Bug377

MS



About
I am a 12 year old girl from the south-east. I love to write. I hate people who think that children can't write because it is obviously not true. I have a friend on here who is my age and is one.. more..

Writing