Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
The House In Sunalata

The House In Sunalata

A Chapter by c k doley

 There are cobwebs above on the angular roof and they are colored black by the smoke that emanates from the oil lamps; they look like dirty dark clouds hanging as a decoration. The floor (if it can be called a floor) of the house is not plain because the house is tilted heavily towards the left, it is not concrete because it is made of a network of bamboo planks and has numerous gaps and openings in it, it is it not even on the ground because it is build on top of bamboo pillars rooted to the earth. The inside makes you feel dirty because of the dirty clothes and dusty-everything around. The house smells of nothing as if a smell would ridicule its persona. The furniture consists only of a pair of beds-one larger than the other, an old Almirah with a broken mirror attached to it- bought by the householder during the happy days post nuptials, extremely heavy, and a clothe-hanger which looked like some strange animal-skeleton standing on its four legs made docile by the cluster of clothes covering its bones. Now in Past tense: The house was getting old and tired, it had undergone many reinforcements, many of its bamboo legs had been uprooted and replaced with stronger olive green legs in their youth, the old ones thus taking up the role of firewood, parts of the floor were also replaced and in places where there was no hope of enhancement wooden planks were used to cover up the wide gaping holes suspended in mid air, the angular thatched roof had undergone the process too; the roof  was covered with a type of grass of the Cyperaceae family (found in abundance in the local wilderness) and had been pulled out and replaced in many places like cancerous hairs. Yet despite all these the house was nearing its end, it was obvious that it could take no more but none of the inhabitants seemed to notice it nor seemed to care. They were too accustomed to living inside it; accustomed to jumping across broken bamboo planks, accustomed to feeling ones way with one's toe in the dark, careful not to fall into the traps of the shaky bamboo network. It had seemed that it would fall apart yesterday, yesteryear-even today, now. But it never fell. It won't fall. It creaked and groaned and hunched in the weight it carried but it never fell. But it did cry sometimes when the rain fell from the sky and its tears ran down through the roof, through the mosquito net, and dropped on top of a sleeping man. The house, you see, was a living creature. It cried and it pissed from the back. The boy especially pissed from the back because his room was in the back i.e if such a space as the one in which the boy's study table and chair were could be called a room- because the space was actually just a corner on the back of the house given a square shape by one side of the large bed on the posterior, a part of the house-wall on the anterior, a vertically standing unused skeleton of a bed on the right and a heavy curtain on the left which could be removed or parted according to one's wish- which when parted or opened incidentally also looked like the back door of a house. A back-door turned piss-door. The boy's Mom and Dad who slept on the large bed along with their teenage boy pissed down from there too but only at night time. The maid alone did not piss down from above. She was an unmarried female and she was required to maintain some shame. It was always a wonder why she swept the piss-wet, urine-smelling ground below with her broom made of dry twigs or why she dispatched fresh supply of sand on it, everyday, first thing early in the morning. She was a neat and tidy girl, yes. The boy was the dirty one. The boy was dirty and he liked to dry his body after baths only with her clothes, the agae or petticoat involved. Her clothes used to be soft and washed, neatly hanged on the hanger. One day the boy and the girl had a serious altercation. She was a queer girl and she did nothing throughout the day except the household works and weaving- she weaved clothes like a fairy. But lately she had taken up to reading books i.e if reading was the right word to describe the murmur and muttering that escaped her mouth. The reading was probably an inspiration from the boy. The boy you see was an avid reader, he knew things of the world: maths, philosophy, literature, sociology, biology, geography. With all these he knew how to speak the language of love and enthusiasm. The girl, probably taken up by the boy, wanted to learn to read. But she being a very shy girl never had the courage to ask the boy to help her. So she rose from her bed (the smaller one) in the pitch black of the night-time surrounding midnight, lighted a lamp, opened a dilapidated book she got her hands on and read. She read in an even, strangely monotonous voice in a language only which she could understand. It was like an evil spirit weeping for something unknown. It was like a virgin spinster weeping for sex. It was like a moan of nostalgia. It was like a declaration of love. To the boy. Love. The word echoed inside the boy's head who had not been sleeping but only listening sick at the girl's mutterings/moaning/murmurings. The stillness inside the house broke with eight vicious words aimed through the dark at the mumbling witch: Sister, why don't you lick your p***y yourself! Then there was a deafening silence which could make anyone faint. And then followed a torrent of venomous words aimed at the maid who was actually her sister. Conflicting and contradicting emotions tamed with much difficulty for months- even years found a release at last. She wept for the next twenty four hours-and-more, incessantly. The boy felt bad in his heart when he saw her sister refusing to eat or move from her scanty bed in her room (if such a room could be called a room), her eyes almost hidden due to her eyelids which were red and puffed up due to the incessant weeping since the night before. He wanted to do something, say something to cheer her up. He did not in order not to look like a sissy. And also because he did not want to prolong the melodrama. I mean what was he to her? Only a brother, not a lover. Relationships always complicated him.



© 2012 c k doley


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on November 11, 2012
Last Updated on November 11, 2012


Author

c k doley
c k doley

new delhi, sheikh sharai phase-2, India



About
I love writing, reading, being with friends, travelling. I think i was born to be a writer. So, i am living each day of my life honing my story-telling gift. More than anything i love and respect othe.. more..

Writing
Love Love

A Story by c k doley