Make It Happen

Make It Happen

A Chapter by Sunny
"

Solomon has a potientally life changing interview, but not everyone is thrilled. Also, the fact that he has yet to nab a girlfriend comes into question.

"

I was sitting up high in the lone tree in my backyard when my dad came running out the house like a mad man. He was screaming my name and looking around feverishly like if he didn't find me life as we knew it would end. Eh, I could care less. I was in the middle of a good book and a peanut butter and cinnamon apple sandwich and preferred not to have been disturbed.

"Solomon! Solomon, where are ya?" my dad bellowed. "SOLOMON!"

This continued for another minute or so and I just couldn't take it anymore. Jackie Collins and I would just have to meet up later for more alone time. "Up here, dad," I groaned.

"What the hell are ya up there for? Get down here!" My dad had this way of  not wanting to be made waiting. While most people would be like "Dude, that's called being impatient", I would have to disagree. Impatient people had more staying power than my dad.

As I leaped from the lowest branch my dad caught me in a vice grip of a hug. While I had at least a good four to five inches on my dad towering in at 6'4, my dad made up for it in girth, most of it being in muscles.

"What have I told ya about that tree climbing nonsense? You could break your legs and then what are we going to do?" My dad released me from his grasp and waved a piece of paper in my face. I merely shrugged. Tree climbing was my business. Up high in that tree I could have a moment's peace and get some good thinking time in. It was never up for discussion, never!

"What's the national emergency?" I looked up at the sky. The sun was beaming; I didn't notice sitting in the shade of the tree.

"Guess who wants an interview with Solomon "Lightening" Whitman next month?" Dad was grinning from ear to ear. It doesn't cease to terrify and amaze me how creepy his "eager" face is. His muddy green eyes bulge out from his head, nose broadly flared, and he shows every one of his coffee and cigarette stained teeth in his small mouth. "Come on¾ Guess!"

"Dad, I'm really not in a¾"

"Bup-bup-bup, before you rain on parade, I'll just tell you. The University of Hartland wants to do a six page spread of you for their rising stars edition of the Weekly Hart newspaper!" Now, while usually I'd be irritated with my dad for messing up my day for something so him-oriented, but this was UH, the school of my dreams, my one shot.

"Are you serious?" I was dumbfounded.

"Of course I'm serious! Got the letter right here." Dad was full on with the face, but I didn't care. " 'Dear Mr. Solomon Whitman, due to your tremendous athletic achievements in high school football, the University of Hartland's newspaper would like to do a spread about you, including a photos and an exclusive interview!' You know what this means, son?"

"Uh, someone at Harland is interested and this is the leg up I need?" I nearly shouted.  

"Damn straight!" Dad punched me in the shoulder playfully. "I'll get Andrea James on the phone first thing Monday morning. We have to make sure this interview goes perfect and the UH knows that Lightening Whitman is fully committed to joining their program." The sounds of the garage door could be heard opening. "That must be Mom and Viv coming back from that gymnastics thing. Can't wait to share the good news."

Wow, University of Hartland. Glad I got out the tree for this one.

 

¾¾¾¾¾¾¾¾¾¾¾¾¾¾¾¾¾¾¾¾¾¾¾¾¾¾¾¾¾¾¾

"I hate you!" Ah, the words of a true brother.

"Man, I bet they want to include you, too." My twin brother, Scott, had heard the, in his case, dreadful news. His blue-green eyes darkened in resentment.

"I¾Hate¾You!" We were face to face and spit spewed onto my face.

While we were identical, there were subtle differences between Scott and I. I was slightly taller and leaner. He was much stockier, like our dad. I had a scar on my left cheek from where he bit me when we were seven. He had a scar on his chin from when I threw a rock at him when we were 12. "Come on, man. Hate is such a harsh and ugly word.



© 2010 Sunny


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

its only on some places you'll see the fractions because of the em dash

Posted 13 Years Ago


Is there a reason that there are fractions all over this chapter? The character's voice is strong. You misspelled "Lightning". Other than that, I'm eager to read the rest of this.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 12, 2010
Last Updated on June 12, 2010


Author

Sunny
Sunny

Lauderdale Lakes, FL



About
I'm a woman now. I'm finally freed. I write a blog feel free to check it out http://bedivined.blogspot.com/ more..

Writing
Boy Unknown Boy Unknown

A Poem by Sunny