Laugh and The World Laughs With You

Laugh and The World Laughs With You

A Poem by Chris Shaw

Within that cloak of sadness
you crawl and weep alone,
for all the souls who walk this earth
have problems of their own.
Too heavy is that burden
to share like broken bread,
too deep within your darkness,
to speak of fears you dread.

Yet sing a song of laughter
and watch the smiles ignite.
There's not a better tonic
to paint the future bright.
And though your heart is breaking,
your body hurt and aching,
you hold inside the power
to lift another's misery
and gift a glimpse of light.

© 2018 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Exactly what most people who suffer from depression do. They put on that fake smile and jokey attitude towards others in everyday life. And pretend everything is good. Wonderful poem. That hits home the truth about the inner demons, that eats away at your heart and soul. But the show must go on to the world outside. And even to your loved ones all around.

Posted 5 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Dee for your lovely review. Very much appreciated.

Chris
Pauline

2 Years Ago

Oh this is so beautiful Chris and so true too. The rhyming of it just clinches it.

P.. read more
Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you dear Pauline. Hope all is good with you.



Reviews

When I am at my worse. Actually in fact most mornings when i awake, I find a mirror and smile. It may be a forced thing poorly birthed but it helps.
This is wisdom in so many lovely words.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you Ken. I appreciate your thoughts. Pleased you enjoyed reading.

Chris
.. read more
Splendid rhyming in this one. It also points out a psychological truth, which is that sometimes pretending can help one achieve the desired outcome. Seeing a positive effect in others is a reward in itself. Would you consider emailing a copy to Putin?

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thanks John. Putin lacks a heart. . The words would be lost on him.

Chris
I adore this one. It speaks of a truth at the core of every human being.
Thanks for sharing this beaut.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you Melinda for the encouragement. You are appreciated.

Chris
I try to live as this poem suggests. But where it is at its worst, those are the days when I prefer solitude. Too many say they care. But these are just words, an expected convention with no real empathy or concern. Still these are beautiful and hopeful words. words that need to to be a lifestyle for many more people.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you MJS. We all need a bit of solitude from time to time. Thank you fir sharing your thoughts... read more
That is one of the hardest things to do for another when your world is torn apart. I believe courage is what makes it possible. There will always be bad days and horrific days. How we display our character to others is what makes a difference to all involved. It's not easy, but if we try we can do it.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

You are so right, it's not easy, but the benefits can be felt by all. Thanks Tim.

Chr.. read more
Oh, so true! What a wonderfully worded poem of encouragement, on so many levels.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you for your encouragement Falcon. It means alot.

Chris
Excellent poetic advice Chris! Lovely :)

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you dear friend for your encouragement.

Chris
You boldly proclaim the weight of depression we all carry and the lightness of hope and its power. Your truth is amazing. You poetry is humanity in essence.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

I so appreciate your warm words and review Sami. Thank you so much.

Chris
Sami Khalil

2 Years Ago

You are welcome Chris.
My dear friend, I haven't seen this poem until now. Thank you that I should see it today, as I am under that cloak of sadness. Thank you for the timely reminder, for lifting the veil. Need it in my Library. (((HUGS)))

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Dear Richard, I hope your cloak of sadness lifts my friend. I so appreciate you stopping by. ❤️

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1104 Views
40 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 21, 2018
Last Updated on June 21, 2018

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..