Rejuvenated

Rejuvenated

A Poem by Chris Shaw
"

( we have certainly had our fair share of)

"
from darkest cloud came sheets of rain
relentless in its mad pursuit
to bounce with vigour off the deck
to stream like rivers from the roof

to overflow where gutters hung
to pool and drain upon the path
content to fill our empty pots
displaying all its misplaced wrath

while clothes left soggy on the line
could not be wetter that's for sure
then when you thought it had to stop
it laughed and rained a whole lot more

by then i had a sudden urge
completely taken by surprise
i felt compelled to run outside
and dance beneath the crying skies

i danced for joy, i danced for life
as warm refreshing flowing free
this waterfall of cleansing love
brought out the childish fun in me

© 2020 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

haha very cute
summer rain is fun (especially warm rain) to at least temporarily switch off summer's excess heat but if it becomes habit-forming, it definitely loses its appeal
sounds like you are getting more than your share but it does keep everything green and growing
appreciate that energy while you still have enough to run amuck
we have had a wetter than ordinary spring/summer here which has resulted in a ton of plant growth

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

All that lovely rain has already started to green the parched grass. The garden flowers were thirsty.. read more



Reviews

Chris.... we just had two thunder and lightening Storms in the same day.
It was pouring Rain and Angels drove my Car... I could barely see through
the windshield with Wipers swaying. By the Grace of God, I made it to my destination.
The darkest clouds finally cried and let loose of tears gathered over the eons.
It all soaked into the ground in forests and byways where life is full of deer and rabbits...
even birds need sips of water... and so do we. gently, Pat

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Dear Pat, I am so pleased you have had rainfall. I know it was desperately needed. Thank goodness fo.. read more
Rain does that to me too. I felt that childishness in your poem but also something mystical. The rain has a sort of energy and your poem captured it.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Dear adornoscousin, I am a fan of rainfall and it does bring the kid out in me. Splish, splash, gett.. read more
What a delight!!! Golly Chris. I can feel as well as see, the torrents of water cascading down. You so, so easily reminded me how, as children, we used to race up and down the street, often in just our underwear, in the pouring summer rain, kicking and splashing the buddles in the gutter.
Perhaps as adults, we should rejuvenate ourselves like this.

Take care - Dave


Take care - Dave

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you Dave. Yes the rainfall does bring that inner child out. Water is very appealing to me. Mus.. read more
Dave

3 Years Ago

Chris - it's always a pleasure.
ah, those life-giving waters. now i'm 'rejuvenated'. you stirred pleasant memories and brought me back to my childhood when we would play in summer downpours - such liberating fun. deep, wonderful write on different levels.

have always loved rainstorms. love how you mention the unpredictability - think it's gonna stop and bam - another intense deluge ... :)

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Many thanks Pete. I appreciate your visit

Chris
The smell of rain has to be up there with the best of things. Like cleansing the palette with nature. I love an overcast day. The colors changing and bright green everywhere. I really enjoyed this!

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you duff. Your response is appreciated.

Chris
Hi Chris. I love the chosen words in this poem...rain can mean so much, can affect you in different ways; it can be destructive and it can be a JOY!!! You have written about both; I love the "crying skies" and lastly the wonder of it pouring down on your skin. We get those belly whoppers here in NC, summertime: PUNCH!
Well written, fondly, Betty
( p.s , I'm going to message you about my grandson and possibility of school near London)

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you so much Betty. I appreciate this lovely review. I'll respond to your pm later.

read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
There is always someone who can make me feel younger or more alive. It's very nice a word . Alright i feel like i am back at Haystack hill at Lake district. This sense of nature force it's feels very real and emotional. Dancing in nature can be very joyful and blissful. You can really make strong connection to nature and elements at your soul. Also this poem is feel quiet le solitaire - just your self and beauty of nature . One of my another explanation of this poem is can be also dedicated to one of the most shy British fellwalker Alfred Wainwright . I am actually watch his series from coast to coast. So it's just came to mind like revelation.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you for those interesting thoughts Martin. I have always felt close to nature.

.. read more
This is an absolutely adorable read for me! There is something very innate in us that a rainstorm addresses. It takes us right back to the time when we were younger and closer to nature and our natural selves. And thats how we were always meant to be, exultant, full of joy and dancing away to the rhythm of rain and of life! Kudos, Ms. Chris! And I join you in this celebratory dance!

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Pleased you enjoyed the dance Pestonjee, especially as you joined in. Many thank yous.

.. read more
AJNJ

3 Years Ago

Always such a pleasure.dear friend :)
Must be in our Brit blood. I often discuss rain, (especially summer rain,) with friends, and almost as one voice we love the welcoming relief it brings. :))

This is a great poem Christine. Ever so well constructed, really enjoyable to read and with a lovely rhythmic flow to it.

Beccy.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

So pleased you enjoyed this one Beccy. Thanks for the visit.

Chris
Oh yes, to be a child again and run through the raindrops....splash in the puddles. The clothes on the line will dry again. Yes, the rain does pour down from the roof like a river....especially in South Florida in the summer. I liked this a lot. Great imagery, Chris. Lydi**

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you Lydi**. We are certainly having our fair share of rainfall currently. Not complaining, the.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

250 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 26, 2020
Last Updated on July 26, 2020

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing
Locket Locket

A Poem by Chris Shaw



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..