Turning the Clock Back

Turning the Clock Back

A Poem by Chris Shaw

sometimes i return to that cold
back bedroom on the first floor of
my grandparent's old terraced home

where my legs fidget in bed
as my younger sister dreams
soundly beneath rose candlewick

while i count on my abacus fingers
tube trains as they rattle along
electric rails on top of tall arches

where brickwork is blackened by
smog in the shade of the oldest tree
in a postage stamp garden

flooding the room with false light
shaking the sash windows
twitching the jaundiced net curtains

out of their slumber while i try
my hardest to fall like Alice  down
the rabbit hole into wonderland

and eventually ..........into sleep

© 2022 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review



one does not need an imagination to find oneself transported somehow to that cold back bedroom on the first floor of some old terraced house .. had you not mentioned your grandparents though, I could have sworn it was 24 spencer bridge Rd .. and my younger brother beneath the rose candlewick ..

Neville




Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

The bedroom may have been cold but the memories couldn't have been warmer. A comfort zone. Thank you.. read more



Reviews

Excellent Work again Chris - evocative, pictorial, nostalgic - like a film from the 1950s or 1960s - really exceptional in its resonances, echoing.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Thank you Tony. I did put some effort into this piece, so pleased it worked well for you. Have a hap.. read more
Chris I think most of us can identify with this image. What makes a poem or any writing timeless is its ability to connect with so many people. How many times I have laid down to thoughts of the past and the desire to "crawl back down the rabbit hole" Very well done.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Thank you Soren. I appreciate you checking in with your thoughts. All good wishes.

Ch.. read more
I love the tone you used in this. It is calming and encourages that distant sleep. Thank you!

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Thank you Temperance. Pleased that you stopped by to share your thoughts.

Chris
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Great piece Chris,
I enjoyed it a lot. This being about a moment in your life when you were younger made me think about my own past.
In addition to this, I believe your level of detail and word choice was amazing.
Keep up the good work =-)
A.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Dear Audie, thank you for your very positive review. Your stopping by is most appreciated and valued.. read more
Audie G. Couch

1 Year Ago

Your welcome Chris, I always love reading your work. Filled with excellence and wisdom, I can't get .. read more
I often suffer from insomnia. I wear wax earplugs (the foam ones are useless), but I still have trouble sleeping some nights. Looking back on life is something we all do, quite naturally. Memories can be bitter-sweet, but they are still precious. Nicely penned piece.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Thank you Robert. I'm still an insomniac years later :) I appreciate you stopping by to review this .. read more
Ahh slumber, to be a wee little one again, whenst sleep came easily.

I no longer, or barely ever, reach RIM sleep. So to dream is a dream.

Thanks for your sharing the memories of your dream.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Many thanks Jo Billy goat for stopping by to review this childhood memory. Pleased to meet you.
read more
Odd how old memories can come back to us. Hard to say what summons them, but it is said the subconscious records everything perfectly. Here we see a flashback to the speaker's youth, when she once envied her sister's ability to fall asleep. Amazing how the smallest details can be recaptured. Hope you eventually got to sleep.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

It seems I have been an insomniac for a long time. Yes, I can remember some of these memories in a g.. read more
Chris - thank you so much. She's been gone for so long and I don't take the time to remember. She was such a joy, caring, and loving. Knowing I loved trains so whenever she went to visit her sister on the train she would always take me. A plate of ice cream at Gimbels Dept. Store and then the subway. I got to have what I remember having my first grilled cheese sandwich on one of those trips.
Take care - Dave

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Pleased my poem reminded you of your own grandmother Dave. Thank you for sharing her with me.
.. read more
I don't have such heartwarming memories of my grandparents but I can relate to this as I believe any reader will do because all of us have this certain memory, place, feeling... of our childhood that no matter what, we will always be bonded to and return from time to another, the innocence of of our hearts, the pureness of our souls, the light of love, of divine of everything is possible... that wasn't affected by any reality as we were children... that's where the adults us want to go back, home.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you lightsong for sharing your thoughts. I am very fortunate to have lovely memories of my tim.. read more
i love this poem, such a great read, chris
i can sleep through a loud thunderstorm no problems, don't think a smoke alarm would ever wake me.
cheerio carola

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you Carola. Wish I slept as soundly as you. I've been an insomniac forever :)

C.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

514 Views
46 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 20, 2022
Last Updated on April 20, 2022

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Gratitude Gratitude

A Poem by Chris Shaw