Bake Day Beth

Bake Day Beth

A Poem by Chris Shaw
"

(a blessing or a curse)

"
our kitchen smiles when
Beth has a blitz on baking
whether it’s bread
biscuits or cakes
or some other experiment
in the making

an aroma permeates
that’s positively scrumptious
while the finished product
has us drooling and asking
for more

be sure not to notice
the chaos left in her wake
for goodness sake
comes later in the day
with clearing

is there a single utensil
left untouched
or a bowl or pan clean
of ingredients or
left over cooking

well is there

© 2023 Chris Shaw


Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

ah yes chris. almost as if sent from the angels this poem. ten yrs ago to the day my maternal grandmother passed. No one could bake like her. Fridays were her day of wonders. Pies, tarts, cakes, homemade bread. A day of gathering. Even in adulthood, all her grandchildren knew Friday was the day to visit. Sometimes thought the only reason we kept in touch was because of her call to our stomachs. This beautiful poem lightens an otherwise dark-tinged day of memory.

Ken

Posted 8 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

8 Months Ago

Dear Ken, I am so pleased that this poem lightened a dark tinged day of memory for you. Anniversarie.. read more



Reviews

ah yes chris. almost as if sent from the angels this poem. ten yrs ago to the day my maternal grandmother passed. No one could bake like her. Fridays were her day of wonders. Pies, tarts, cakes, homemade bread. A day of gathering. Even in adulthood, all her grandchildren knew Friday was the day to visit. Sometimes thought the only reason we kept in touch was because of her call to our stomachs. This beautiful poem lightens an otherwise dark-tinged day of memory.

Ken

Posted 8 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

8 Months Ago

Dear Ken, I am so pleased that this poem lightened a dark tinged day of memory for you. Anniversarie.. read more
Chris,
Always and forever... Leftover mess reflected in a mirror of happy memories.
Vol

Posted 8 Months Ago


Chris Shaw

8 Months Ago

Thank you Vol. Yummy baking, happy memories and the mess always gets cleaned up:) Hope you are havin.. read more
Vol

8 Months Ago

Our kitchen and livingroom are one great space, so the smells are everywhere, the sounds of clatteri.. read more
Baking never done it , but my mummy let me lick the bowl
And my tongue lost its innocence , I became a food pervert
Salivating at any baking , that appeared , then I had dietary psychiatry
Now I’m ok , Thankyou Doctor Bifocals. I love your poetry Chris , this brings my youth back

Posted 8 Months Ago


Chris Shaw

8 Months Ago

Forgive my late response Stuart. I thought I had replied to this one. Got lost in the ether. You kno.. read more
Stuart Munro

8 Months Ago

Hi Chris
,thanks , you have a nice bank holiday too , I’m feeling ok , no chemo for three .. read more
Ah, loved this. I can smell the cooking! Thank you. Don't know whether you saw my "A Rubbing of Hands" on here in April. I was in a kitchen there as a small boy, and they were the same aunts (yes, I did have Elsie, Lucy and Olive as aunts) who were talking in "Coronation for a King", which got a rather nice comment from your good self.

Posted 9 Months Ago


Chris Shaw

9 Months Ago

Thank you for the lovely review. I’ll go back and check on your earlier posting Andrew, tomorrow. .. read more
That's what memories are made of Chris .... days like that .

I have a photo of my son sitting on the worktop licking out a bowl he had been mixing a bun mixture in age 6.... I also have a photo of his daughter age 6 sitting in the exact same place also licking out a bowl she had been mixing bun mixture in.

Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stella Armour

9 Months Ago

Good morning Chris , a lovely day here in Yorkshire but a bit chilly.
Yes making memories is.. read more
Chris Shaw

9 Months Ago

Hi Stella, late checking in. A busy day today. Nice weather too. Take care.
Stella Armour

9 Months Ago

been nice here too, not too warm but pleasant
There are times when a little chaos in the kitchen is a good thing. It's a bookmark for future reference when you want a laugh. :)

Nice one, Chris.

Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

9 Months Ago

Many Thanks Tim, I appreciate your visit. Good to see you again.

Chris
Suc a cosy description of family life. This was so delicious as a poem. A lovely righ piece with no side on it. Gorgeous.

Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

9 Months Ago

Many thanks Ken. Just a little bit of home life. Pleased you enjoyed it. Have a happy Tuesday.
read more
Why it's too relatable ... in our home, it's none other then me, who do all this mess while cooking, �™ n my mom was like 🤯🤯🤯...

Just nostalgia.... really enjoyed.

Posted 10 Months Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

9 Months Ago

Dear Soyam, so pleased that this poem about our Beth is relatable. Thank you for stopping by and sha.. read more
In this poem, the Poet beautifully captures the vibrant atmosphere of a kitchen when Beth engages in a flurry of baking activities.

The poet's language and imagery evoke a sense of joy, anticipation, and sensory pleasure associated with Beth's culinary endeavors.

The poem begins by personifying the kitchen, describing it as "smiling" when Beth embarks on her baking blitz. This personification imbues the kitchen with a sense of liveliness and sets the tone for the poem, suggesting a harmonious relationship between the cook and her surroundings.

The poet acknowledges Beth's versatility as a baker, noting that she is adept at creating various baked goods, whether it be bread, biscuits, cakes, or other experimental treats. This highlights Beth's adventurous spirit and her willingness to explore different culinary avenues. The poet's use of enjambment and concise phrases gives the poem a lively and rhythmic quality, reflecting the energetic nature of Beth's baking.

A key element in the poem is the description of the captivating aroma that permeates the kitchen. The poet emphasizes that the aroma is "positively scrumptious," capturing the irresistible and mouthwatering nature of the scents that fill the air. This sensory detail adds depth to the poem, evoking a sense of desire and anticipation within the reader.

The poem also touches upon the enjoyment derived from the finished product. The poet uses the words "drooling" and "asking for more" to convey the irresistible appeal and satisfaction that Beth's creations bring. This portrays Beth as a skilled and accomplished baker, capable of producing delectable treats that leave people longing for additional indulgence.

Furthermore, the poet draws attention to the untidy aftermath left by Beth's baking frenzy. The chaos and mess are mentioned, but the poet advises not to notice it, indicating a sense of understanding and acceptance. The poet acknowledges that cleaning and order will come later, but for now, the focus remains on the pleasure and delight brought forth by the baking process.

The poem concludes with a series of rhetorical questions, reinforcing the idea of the kitchen being in a state of disarray. The repetition of "is there" emphasizes the pervasive presence of utensils, bowls, pans, and remnants of ingredients, emphasizing the all-encompassing nature of Beth's baking activities. This rhetorical device engages the reader, encouraging them to imagine the extent of the mess and the dedication required in pursuing culinary artistry.

As a Poet, the author skillfully crafts a poem that celebrates the art of baking, portraying it as a joyful and sensory experience. Through vibrant imagery, rhythmic language, and attention to detail, the poem captures the essence of Beth's bustling kitchen, the delectable aromas, and the mess left behind, creating a vivid and engaging piece of poetry.


Posted 10 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

E.P. Robles

10 Months Ago

It's great! I am so happy there are others who love poetry as me! It makes the world smaller and t.. read more
Relic

9 Months Ago

If I can make a suggestion. Your comment is very well done and obviously comes from an intelligent m.. read more
E.P. Robles

9 Months Ago

Yes, yes. Of course. At times I feel detached. Especially when reading other's poems. I have alw.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

492 Views
28 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 24, 2023
Last Updated on June 24, 2023

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..