Too Soon

Too Soon

A Poem by Chris Shaw

the leaves are down
in market square
parched and thirsty
in the town
too soon they’ve fallen
dried and brown
not that they’ve been
noticed there

the people pass by
to and fro
does anybody really care
the leaves are down
in market square
where faces do not smile
or see
too busy are they
on their phones

they walk determined
in their stride
armed with backpacks
and alone
too busy with their mobile
phones
to notice anything at all

the leaves are down
in market square
the trees are crying out
in vain
In need of nothing else
than rain
does anybody really care
the leaves are down
in market square

© 2023 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a beautiful and poignant poem. The imagery of the leaves in Market Square, parched and thirsty, is a powerful metaphor for the lack of attention and care that we often show to the natural world around us. Your use of language is evocative and moving, and the repetition of the phrase "does anybody really care" underscores the sense of loneliness and isolation that can come from living in a busy, disconnected world. Overall, this is a deeply affecting work of poetry that speaks to the human condition with honesty and insight. Thank you for sharing it with me.

Posted 10 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

10 Months Ago

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review. Pleased you enjoyed my efforts.

Chris .. read more



Reviews

"the leaves are down
in market square"
This phrase forced me to connect it with parents...! Isn't something like that if I'm not wrong...??? Like today's generation or gen'z' has become so much addicted towards phones and social media, that they didn't have time to see their parents, whose time are falling slowly.
Beautifully crafted with full of sense of making feel guilty on deeds like as you mentioned,
" too busy with their mobile
phones
to notice anything at all
the leaves are down
in market square
the trees are crying out
in vain"

Thanks for the beautiful art.

Posted 10 Months Ago


Chris Shaw

10 Months Ago

Thank you dear Soyam for sharing your thoughts. I am touched by your kind words.

Chr.. read more
oh this is terrific! Yes, I can see this, the world feels as if it is filled with zombies, does it not or as if we are they are ghosts and we are the rare few living. We done my love!

Posted 10 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

10 Months Ago

Thank you Patricia. So pleased you enjoyed the visit. Lovely to see you. Take care.

.. read more
This is a beautiful and poignant poem. The imagery of the leaves in Market Square, parched and thirsty, is a powerful metaphor for the lack of attention and care that we often show to the natural world around us. Your use of language is evocative and moving, and the repetition of the phrase "does anybody really care" underscores the sense of loneliness and isolation that can come from living in a busy, disconnected world. Overall, this is a deeply affecting work of poetry that speaks to the human condition with honesty and insight. Thank you for sharing it with me.

Posted 10 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

10 Months Ago

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review. Pleased you enjoyed my efforts.

Chris .. read more
As a Poet, I would like to offer an analysis of this poem titled "The Leaves Are Down in Market Square."

This poem captures a sense of desolation and neglect in a bustling urban setting, using the imagery of fallen leaves in a town square to reflect the indifference and preoccupation of its inhabitants.

The poem begins with a vivid portrayal of the leaves, emphasizing their parched and thirsty state. This description not only suggests the physical condition of the leaves but also symbolizes a deeper longing or yearning.

The use of the phrase "too soon they've fallen" suggests a sense of premature decline or loss, as if the leaves were not given sufficient time to flourish before they withered away.

Furthermore, the poet highlights the lack of attention given to these fallen leaves. The townspeople pass by "to and fro," engrossed in their own lives and seemingly oblivious to the natural world around them.

The repetition of the line "does anybody really care" emphasizes the poet's concern about the apathy and disconnect prevalent in this society.

The poem draws attention to the pervasive influence of technology, particularly mobile phones, as a contributing factor to this indifference. The townspeople are described as being "too busy" and "determined" in their stride, armed with backpacks and isolated in their digital bubbles. The repetition of the phrase "too busy with their mobile phones" further emphasizes the poet's critique of the society's preoccupation with technology at the expense of genuine human connection and engagement with the world.

The poet juxtaposes the lifeless leaves with the vibrant and bustling market square, creating a sharp contrast that underscores the disconnect between nature and human activity. The square, a central hub of social interaction, becomes a symbol of the town's collective indifference and lack of awareness. The trees' cry for rain serves as a plea for attention and revitalization, echoing the overarching theme of neglect.

In conclusion, this poem evokes a sense of melancholy and lamentation over the disregard for nature and the prevalence of apathy in a busy urban setting.

The fallen leaves represent more than just a physical condition; they symbolize the overlooked and unacknowledged aspects of life. By focusing on the indifference and preoccupation of the townspeople, the poet calls for a reevaluation of priorities and a reconnection with the natural world.

Posted 10 Months Ago


Chris Shaw

10 Months Ago

Thank you so much for your extensive review on my poem. You have covered the subject matter in depth.. read more
E.P. Robles

10 Months Ago

It is a very beautifully crafted poem. It touched my Spirit and Soul.
New world dear Chris. People need to be on the phone every minute of their day. I dislike phones and I miss conversation. Hard to find now. I went to my favorite park and two of the oddest trees were dying. I told some kids. Look, the tree are dying. They gave me a look, of why are you telling me. New world? Thank you dear friend for sharing the amazing poetry and your thoughts.
Coyote

Posted 10 Months Ago


Chris Shaw

10 Months Ago

Yes Coyote. A new world and one that is difficult for older generations to contemplate. I too find a.. read more
Coyote Poetry

10 Months Ago

Some of the trees are very old. It is sad to see them die dear Chris. You are welcome my dear friend.. read more
It was 90 degrees today and hot, but I worked all day on my yard and it felt good. Technology has changed a generation for the worse. Like sugary food it's meant to keep us addicted. As a result many young people miss out on the sun, the trees, a walk through town, because they're preoccupied with their phones and what's on the screen. Maybe someday they'll notice the colors of autumn or the light breeze and how refreshing they are. However, I'm not holding my breath.

Posted 10 Months Ago


Chris Shaw

10 Months Ago

I’m not holding my breath either. Sadly I think things which our generation valued greatly are no .. read more
Yes, people are certainly self absorbed with technology, I say, staring at my computer!
Strangely enough, even after now close to nothing in the way of rain for near 4 months, forest fires running rampant, with water levels dropping, and no rain, "none," forecast, and even tho' some evergreens are now registering stress, there are extremely few leaves down!
Strange, strange.
What does the future hold?
I see scientists say the planet is entering a new, 'human driven' (as in never before) era of evolvement (??) and they have very little idea of what the future holds.
Possibly leaves dropping early (etc,) will become the new, unfortunate way of things.
Grab a handkerchief, a rake and wait and watch.

Posted 10 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

10 Months Ago

Many thank yous Mr.Brown. Trust you are well despite the lack of rain and forest fires in your part .. read more
You unfold the scene beautifully in a hypnotic cadence and use of repetition. This piece reminds me a bit of a poetic device used by Louis Aragon in his poem Elsa At The Mirror. I have a really great translation of it if you're interested? You're probably familiar with the poem, but a great translation makes all the difference!

Posted 10 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

10 Months Ago

Thank you Andra for your review. I am not at all familiar with the poem mentioned, so would be delig.. read more

although as yet we are only part way through summer, you made it feel like mid to late September .. your observational skills are well honed Chris .. and just look at what is going on around us .. folk on their phones, too self absorbed and busy to notice the more important things .. some call it progress, I call it very sad indeed and maybe the beginning of the end of us .. and the weather of course is changing too .. but not everyone notices .. they are still stuck to their phones .. You paint reality so very well .. Neville

Posted 10 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

10 Months Ago

Thank you Neville. I feel people are missing out on the joys of life. It is their loss. Technology i.. read more
Neville

10 Months Ago


................... I believe I do too our Chris
Sounds as though autumn is coming early to the UK, but that's not the point of this poem. People don't seem to notice it, or if they do, don't care. They're too immersed in their cell phones to pay attention to anything else. This is not a solely British problem; a lot of people in the US, particularly young ones, seem to isolate themselves with their devices. How ironic; a technology that would seem to have been made for uniting people is actually separating them.

Posted 10 Months Ago


Chris Shaw

10 Months Ago

Thank you John. You certainly got the point of this poem. I appreciate your thoughts.

.. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

491 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 11, 2023
Last Updated on July 11, 2023

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Veils Veils

A Poem by Chris Shaw


It rained today It rained today

A Poem by Gee