The Seven Years of Lonely

The Seven Years of Lonely

A Poem by An owl on the moon
"

Love and life… so much like a feast…

"
























Love and life… so much like a feast… There’s that liaison that is shallow and sweet, like too many pastries… a Vendôme perhaps (a licorice meringue, with chocolate mousse and vanilla crème brûlée)... Oh how it’s sweetness coats your tongue and your libido... but you can’t live forever on that… though you might like to try… Or there is that deep and filling relationship, so like a loaf of Pane Casareccio di Genzano and fine Agnello al Forno, delicious roast lamb with rosemary... You swallow it down with the finest Cabernet Sauvignon from 2003…

 

Now often we find others too bland over time… or with too much salt… or turning bitter… like dark coffee… or wild chicory that’s found in the Fave e Cicorie Selvatiche … There are times when foods become too common… lose their flavor… like friendships once desired… now only tolerated… a blandness comes over your meal…  And so at dinner he gives her flowers… white Jasmine, with that rich aroma… and time in the moonlight… and the best years of his life… Maybe she takes them… willingly devours his gifts… no exchange… no barter… empty handed…

 

Life is beggar for some, isn’t it… sparse plates... sparse smiles pass the whiles... and the stale bread fills what it can... Feasted famine… famined touch… hungry skin... unsatisfied… He remembers laughing... but what a distant, unfamiliar sound now... echoed, yet engraved here in the seven years of lonely… Love and life... so much like a feast… Ah, my friends, eat, drink, and be merry… and may this year find you blessed with love and life that satisfies your appetite forever…


© 2020 An owl on the moon


Author's Note

An owl on the moon
"I have made a lot of mistakes falling in love, and regretted most of them, but never the potatoes that went with them." ~ Nora Ephron

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think all of us have made mistakes in our life falling in love with the wrong person. This is so good. enjoyed the metaphors.... awesome write here.

Posted 3 Years Ago


wow, such great metaphors in your write. The stale bread fills what it can, I like that. Nicely written and expressed. You are obviously quite a writer, to use such style with your words that build character. Nicely written here sir...

Posted 3 Years Ago


' Life is beggar for some, isn’t it… sparse plates... sparse smiles pass the whiles... and the stale bread fills what it can... Feasted famine… famined touch… hungry skin... unsatisfied… He remembers laughing... but what a distant, unfamiliar sound now'

There is something about fine wine and food that feeds every part of one's need and this is no exception! ! Methinks you've been sipping and tasting and still have the hunger writers have for spreading the imagination upon a table as long as the mind'ss eye can see!

Such visual wording.. so typical of you., Owl. And there's that Alice sitting pride of place 0 as every. Think she's thing over those final few words. Like many, she can only hope.

Posted 4 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

4 Years Ago

Ah, thank you for your kindness dear friend. Fine food with those we love can be the absolute sweete.. read more
emmajoy

4 Years Ago

Oh there's such a sadness in your 'and sharing a meal.. ' Can't stand in your shoes but do underst.. read more
An owl on the moon

4 Years Ago

I hope this too... here... there... everywhere.. Wanting Spring to bring a world of beauty and peace.. read more
Baked fried mashed or boiled....variety is the spice of life ...but what I’d life without love...nothing ...for without love we are nothing...for love is sweet and kind never wanting needing never envious...love lasts lifetimes...🌹🌹

Posted 4 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

4 Years Ago

Yes, oh thank you precious poet. Love is the everything... the deepest yearning... the purest joy..... read more
‘Thoughts In Time’🌹

4 Years Ago

If we have not love we have nothing we are nothing for love is the truth...and in truth we find and .. read more
Metaphors, galore! This write left me both thirsty and hungry. No a*s-kissing here intended at all, but your metaphors cut directly to the emotional bone, leaving no fat at all on one's plate. "And so at dinner . . . " to the ending "empty-handed . . ." left me emotionally "empty-handed," as well. I mean, wdf, how did it come to that? (I usually don't quote an author's verses to explain a review, but those verses are simply exceptionally emotive and replete with portent.) Feast. Famine. Emotions are like that.







Posted 4 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

4 Years Ago

How deeply I appreciate your moments here... your insights.. your words that understood too well the.. read more
C. M. Miller

4 Years Ago

Sometimes it is best to not ask for seconds at that table.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 28, 2020
Last Updated on January 28, 2020

Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Done Done

A Poem by Shy Joe