I stood in the storm and swallowed the sky...

I stood in the storm and swallowed the sky...

A Poem by An owl on the moon
"

Tornado sirens sounded and I went outside to feel the sky wrap around me…

"



















 
 
 
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
Sirens, first low-humming

rising, shrieking strumming at the sky

white fire scream-streaking growing

burning through the atmosphere

come the drums of flame

fierce burning, rumbling, deep

trembling clouds hovering

dancing in slow-motion tremors

frantic feelings fade to sacred awe

in the crispness of the air

scented breezes thrust and rush

breathing over my skin

tasting electricity in the wind

the earth alive and moving

birds soft-still and silent

as rain flees Cheshire clouds in panic

I stood in the storm

and swallowed the sky…

© 2012 An owl on the moon


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh my goodness- how the lack of punctuation flows and scream into wildness! You've captured the moments, the weather, the atmosphere, the terror, then, almost unbelievably described the gradual calm after the tornado, the settling, the slowing,'tasting electricity in the wind ~ the earth alive and moving'; then .. that last line, that gloriously vast last line, '.. and swallowed the sky...' A very different style from you but as fine as ever was. Great picture too, following your Alice theme, plus a relevant poem because of the weather in parts of your country.

Many thanks for sharing, Craig!

Posted 12 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

very vivid imagery. you can almost feel it and definitely hear it. this is a unique poem of an experience in a storm evoking images of it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


It is so true as you can feel the power of these storms coursing through your being. "Cheshire clouds' .. wonderful description(s).
Had i read this during the storm i think i would have felt less anxious... very enjoyable!

Chloe

Posted 12 Years Ago


This kind of hits home after all the weird weather we've been having with the warm fronts causing bad weather... My favorite part was "as rain flees Cheshire clouds in panic
I stood in the storm
and swallowed the sky…"
Interesting choice of words really added to the electric feel of this poem! It's intense. Very nice work!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very nice, Cheers!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I agree about the intenseness of the poem... such vivid description gives me a chill... that is a good thing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Gee, I forgot to say I love that title!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is over the top amazing. I have only been in and around a handful of wicked storms, but this poem brings those memories back tenfold. You have used descriptive words that have as much force as the dreaded tornado.



Posted 12 Years Ago


Craig, you can take any topic and make the best talented piece ever! Love the title! I stood in the storm and swallowed the sky! Your imagery was so superb, I could feel and see the storm brewing! Excellent creative read.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I can really feel the dramatic events from this write. Being In Indiana I currently went through some rough weather yesterday. I can feel this write really deeply. Loved the last two lines the most. Awesome write.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was a great reality of written word, Craig.

I lived in the mid-west most of my young adult life. Missouri of all places. Been in a few tornado's myself.

I use to do the same thing. Stand out in the storm, (My dad would say) I Was Crazy! yelling at me to come in from the danger of the storm.

As I got older and joined the fire department there in town, I was the first in the truck to run the twister down, they would say. I remember them well, (Finger prints of God) I would call the twiters.

I'm with our beautiful friend Emma - Love them last two lines.

Love Ya! Brother...

Stay safe, its going to be a bad year of storms, me thinks...

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2634 Views
52 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on March 3, 2012
Last Updated on March 4, 2012

Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..