The Cam Newton Phenomenon

The Cam Newton Phenomenon

A Story by Cody C

The 2011 NFL draft is rapidly approaching with alot excitement. 214 players are drafted out of college to the nfl each year. This year one name however keeps making headlines across the nation. This would be of course the self proclaimed icon/entertainer, Cam Newton. In order for you to understand  Newton’s situation I will briefly describe him. He is a raw, athletic talent positioned at quarterback from Auburn University. He stands 6 ft 6, weighing 250 lbs , at the age of 21 years old. He is a Heisman Trophy winner, and also a National Champion, leading his team to a perfect record of 14-0 in 2010. Before the glory of last season however Newton was actually suspended and arrested for theft when he attended the University of Florida in 2008.  He then transferred to little known Blinn College leading them to a NJCAA Championship in 2009. In December of 2009 he announced his intentions to attend Auburn University and the rest as we know it is history...

Newton this year is getting alot of criticism and alot of praise at the same time. His massive popularity among  NFL scouts and teams has made him the top ranked quarterback coming into the draft. His maturity and troubles in the past may haunt him and influence who picks him in the draft though however. I have several opinions on Cam Newton. Athletic wise Newton is amazing, his blinding speed for his size is spectacular and his arm strength is off the charts. However, we have seen quarterbacks that use his style of play who didn’t make it in the NFL, and im not entirely sold out on this one. He lacks many passing skills that are a need to have success in the NFL. In conclusion Cam Newton should be a good pickup in the late 1st, early 2nd round pick. For the people who is proclaiming him the greatest and predicting him number 1 overall is crazy to me, and if he does go that high I feel like whoever picks him will regret it in the future...

   

© 2011 Cody C


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think he'd make a great back up. He needs to be second to a good vet who can teach him something before he steps on the field as a starter. I saw a few of his college games and the kid's got skills but he lacks maturity. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping there's no lockout because I'd really like to watch Newton develop as a player.

Posted 13 Years Ago


If the Panthers take him over Nick Fairley first, I will be amazed.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

265 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 1, 2011
Last Updated on March 10, 2011

Author

Cody C
Cody C

OH



About
My writing mainly focuses on Sports and Conspiracy, my two most favorite subjects. I want to be a Sports Journalist after high school. I am on this site because of a course I’m taking in school. more..

Writing
NFL Lockout NFL Lockout

A Story by Cody C