Tool Shed Heart

Tool Shed Heart

A Poem by Invisible Ink
"

I left my heart in the tool shed...

"

I left my heart in the tool shed
among the weedy ruins of last year's spring,
and the rust-filled buckets, empty of water,
for no one comes out or goes in.
A sparrow's nest tucked in the corner
no longer a humble home makes,
but sits empty and thread-bare
where once it was awake.
The cling and clank of shovels
is just a memory,
an echo of what used to be
before the snow rolled in.
So here is my liver and my spleen,
looking a little thin and a little green,

wanting use and worse for wear

that is how I misplaced them there.

I left my heart in the tool shed

among the rusty nails and artifacts

and vines have laced through the valves
where once the blood pumped in.
Next year, in the thaw,

when the robin makes her first call

and the crocus shows her face,

I might dig them out again.

© 2011 Invisible Ink


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

invisible,
It is left for the writer to use images and create situations suitable for his/her narration. The view of the most beloved part's alien occupation is almost an attempt from the writer to express the way for minimising the personal element and to keep the work as universal. The challenge is simply overcome and there is hope for its further ownership. Rightly said that the future is designed by the writer only without words and readers get it between words.

carry on............

M P Ramesh

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

wow thats so beautiful and Poetic .... I hope you found your heart again

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very intense, very poetic. I like poems that after reading a few times I get deeper or hidden meanings.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I enjoyed the poem and more so how you picture a feeling of pain and melancholy in a positive trait. Even though you speak of broken heart, the way you express yourself is someone who is ever positive and wanting to be in control: 'I left my heart in the tool shed'. This is an act of choice rather than carrying a broken heart around.

And what makes it more pleasant is the ending: 'I might dig them out again...'

Even now you know you can heal...

Wonderful...

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like it! Especially after you've made some changes, this poem is now as close you can get to perfection! The lines at the end paint pictures, beautiful ones!

Posted 12 Years Ago


A very well crafted piece with a loose rhythm and rhyme. It's these kind of poems I love the most, with great structure and life but border-lining freeform.
"it's looking a little thin and a little green," I don't know why, but somehow (even with this poem being very free) it stands out among the rest, and not in a good way. It just doesn't flow in my head. It might be just me, as we all have a tendency to read poems a certain way and each to their own. I do love this poem though, and you really don't need to change anything, just my little thought! Thank you for sharing :) (and thanks for commenting on my 6 word story, I usually send a message but hey, this is convenient!)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very interesting poem I love the way you relate the emotions and heartbreak of love to tools stored in a shed from time to time. A clever and thought provoking piece.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I'm thinking of putting mine in there alongside yours, with all the other broken tools. Very well communitcated, bittersweet with a touch of hope.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Okay I had to read it again to understand the "liver and spleen" part. You left your heart there so I assume you're leaving more of yourself there?..I hope I'm right on that. I liked pieces like this because they bring out the melancholy in me. Well done dear.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Such a powerful strong well written poem!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1405 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on May 31, 2008
Last Updated on July 29, 2011

Author

Invisible Ink
Invisible Ink

NC



About
"I guess I wrote in invisible ink, Oh, I've tried to think how I could have made it appear"- Aimee Mann Open the cage and set the bird free. I am a writer. A poet. Words have saved me. I am a .. more..

Writing
Echo Echo

A Poem by Invisible Ink



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..