Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Danielle Breithaupt

     I woke up that morning around dawn. When my alarm went off, I was startled and hit down the snooze button as fast as I could to stop the noise from ringing in my ears. As much as my body didn't want to lift me out of bed that morning, I had to because I was moving in with my sister today. Currently I lived in New York, and it was a long plane ride to California, the golden state.

     I packed my things the night before so when I got up this morning I didn't have to stress myself out. All I had was a duffle bag full of clothes and my guitar.

That was actually the only thing I really cared about. Groaning, I flipped the covers off of my body and lazily got out of the bed I was so comfortable lying in just seconds before.

     I hopped in the shower and shortly after, got myself dressed. High school just ended a few weeks ago and I thought it would be nice to start over at a new place. And ever since I was little I've always dreamed about moving to Cali, and attending college there sometime.

     Music was my passion. I literally carried my guitar everywhere I went. My mom would always ask me if I had any other friends besides my guitar. Ha, what a funny women she was.

     Sometimes on a good day, I would go outside and into the city, lay my guitar case down and see how many bucks I could get for singing and playing. Being in the city and all, I usually didn't get much. There was nothing here in New York for me anyway, I never liked the snow too much so it might actually be a good thing I'm leaving.

I grabbed my bag and guitar and headed down stairs in a hurry. I was afraid of missing my flight even though as of right now I was 3 hours early.

     "Hey champ! Were you even gonna say bye to your old dad here?" I smiled and dropped my stuff so I could go and give him a bear hug.

     "Are you sure it's okay if I leave? You won't be lonely here all by yourself now will you?" I asked still in his tight grasp. He let go of me and I was facing him now.

     "Oh I'll be fine." Dad said waving it off. I laughed a little. A part of me felt a little guilty I was leaving him but over all I was so happy I was moving.

     I placed my bags by the door and took a seat at the kitchen table. "What did you make?" I asked noticing he had something cooking on the stove.

     "Oh! Yeah, I made your favorite breakfast!" He said and I smiled at his gesture. It was cute how he was trying to make the best morning since I would be leaving him.

Dad walked toward the stove and turned it off. He got out a bagel from the toaster and I watched as he put the eggs and bacon onto the toasted bagel.

     My stomach grumbled just watching him do that. He made me a bacon egg and cheese, my favorite breakfast. He walked over and placed the plate on the table in front of me.

     "Thank you so much." I said smiling at him and he returned it.

     Stuffing my face with the delicious food, dad sat down across from me with a plate full of eggs. We both ate in silence for a little bit until my plate was clean. I was stuffed, and sat back in my chair.

     "Enjoy your breakfast?" Dad asked wiping his mouth with his napkin. I nodded my head and got up to throw away my paper plate.

     I looked at my watch, "I have to go." I said and my dad stood up. "This is really it, isn't it?" He asked and I looked at him with a little sadness.

     "Oh come on, don't make this a bad ending!" I said and he smiled weakly. "I'm sorry, but I'm going to miss you so much." He said engulfing me into another hug.

I laughed into his chest and let him strangle me with his hug. "Okay dad, I really have to go." I mumbled into his body and he let me go.

     "Bye, son." He said. I picked up by my bags from the door and placed my guitar on my back. Turning around to face my dad, I gave him one last smile and wave before I left the house completely empty to him.

     It's not like I was going to see him for the last time ever, it's just it would be awhile and it hurt leaving him.


***


     Okay only an hour and a half before I leave this place, I thought to myself. I took a seat next to the area where my tunnel leading to the plane would be and I threw in my headphones to drown out the sound. I didn't have them up too loud so I could hear when I would be called.

     I waited patiently as time passed. In that time I treated myself to some Dunkin Donuts for breakfast. As I walked back to the seat I was sitting in, my zone was called and I was ready to go onto the plane.

     I sat next to an old man who from the looks of it was going to fall asleep any minute, and a young teenage girl who actually looked intimidating. By the looks of it, they weren't going to bother me so it was going to be a peaceful ride.

     "What would you like to drink?" The flight attendant asked me flirtatiously batting her eyelashes at me. She was a little older than me and I was not interested. "Nothing. Thanks." I responded politely.

     She smiled, probably wishing I requested something so she could stay by me longer. "Well if you need anything, just press the button up here and I will come." I nodded my head and she passed me to go to another aisle.

     Popping my headphones back in my ears, I leaned my head back and left sleep take over me for the rest of the ride.



© 2014 Danielle Breithaupt


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The dialogue scenes are really well done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Danielle Breithaupt

8 Years Ago

Thank you omg
that is a really great story to the book, looking forward to reading it :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Danielle Breithaupt

9 Years Ago

Thank You!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 11, 2014
Last Updated on November 11, 2014