Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Danielle Breithaupt

    As we approached the school, my stomach turned into knots and I was nervous. I've never been to college before and I think I was going to apply to this one. Online the reviews looked good and I liked the campus from the pictures I've seen. My marks were good and I was involved so I didn't think it would be hard at all to get into this school.

A man greeted my sister and I and gave us a tour of the campus and what it was about. He brought us through all of the buildings, gave us a little history lesson and told me about the most popular classes kids were taking this year.

     Then he gave us a lecture about grades, but then told me what I wanted to hear, which was about the classes I could take as an upcoming freshman. I would say over all it wasn't bad and I wanted to start as soon as possible. Since the first semester was approaching quick, I wouldn't think it would take longer than a few days maybe.

     He took us into his office and gave me something to fill out if I wanted to join this school. Then he said "We would be lucky to have you, Hunter. We'll call in a few days." I shook his hand and nodded my head with a warm smile. "Thank you." Bella said and we left the campus.

     Kids were everywhere. It was like a kid explosion. Not that they were kids, but they weren't exactly adults yet either. "Lets go home. Oh and thanks for bringing me." I said and wrapped my arm around her shoulder. She hugged me as we were walking to the car, "You're welcome little brother." I smiled and we went home.


***


     Today was my first day. To be honest, I was extremely nervous. I started college sooner than I thought but I'm also happy I did. I got the call a few days ago and I jumped in excitement when I heard I was accepted. So now, I'm here.

     Everyone seemed so much older than I was, and it was a little intimidating. I guess I can say that I was the only one walking around campus with a guitar on my back. My first class was guitar lessons and I was really looking forward to that.

     In class, I didn't know anyone. We all sat in a circle and the teacher did as well. He had kind of long hair and it was like a mess. He also had facial hair. He looked like a knocked up hippy, but let me tell you, that dude can play the guitar.

     The guy next to me was really friendly. The moment I sat down he held out his hand for me to shake, so that's what I did. "Are you new? I haven't seen you around here before." He studied me for a few minutes. "Um yeah I am. I'm Hunter." He nodded his head and placed his hands on his guitar, "I'm Tyler."

     Tyler had short dark hair and it flipped up a bit in the front. He looked at least 2 years older than me, and he was good at guitar. We learned a few advanced chords that class and then it was off to my second class of the day, music theory.

     The classroom had tables where only two people could sit to a table. I made sure to sit in the back because I knew no one. I looked around and watched as kids poured through the door and took their seats. A familiar face made his way through the door and I put my arm up and waved. "Hey Tyler! Here!" I said and he came right over to me.

He took off his backpack and placed it down next to him by the table. "Dude I didn't know you were in this class too!" Tyler said with the biggest smile. I took out a pen and a notebook because I was unsure of what to have on me at the time.

     If it was a miracle, another familiar face showed up in the classroom that day. That girl Ariana that I saw singing on the steps that day. She sat right in front of me and didn't even acknowledge me. "Hey, Ariana?" I said tapping her left shoulder gently to get her attention . "Yes?" then her eyes were fixed on me. "Oh you're that one guy from the other day. Who actually gave me a dollar." She laughed, and it was so cute. "Yeah I'm that guy. It's Hunter."

     She turned back around when a guy sat next to her. Tyler made me face him, "You talk to her?" he said in a surprised manor. "Uh yeah, is that a problem?" I asked weirdly confused. "She's so hot man!" he whispered but in a yelling tone. "Every guy likes her, but she doesn't settle for anyone!" What? He thought I was trying to get with her? No, no I'm trying to make friends here. "What? No, I don't want to be with her. I'm simply just trying to make friends." He gave me that face like 'yeah right'.

     It was true though, I just wanted to be her friend, I needed them. Once class was over, everyone got up and dashed through the door like they couldn't stay in here any longer. "Hey Ariana!" I called out before she left the room. She turned around slowly and then made eye contact with me. "Do you maybe want to go take a walk?" Woah I was being so brave. "I'm sorry I can't, I'm going to sing. If you want, you can come?" She asked me.

     Oh no she was talking about going to sing on the steps in front of people. Honestly, I didn't want to go but I thought maybe I should go anyway. "Okay."


***


     We got there and she placed herself on the steps with her hat in front of her to collect money. I sat down and watched as she started singing. Nobody really came over, except a few kids that their parents let them take some money to put in the hat, but that was it. I sat there for a long time wondering what the problem was or what it could be. Well she has been singing in the same spot everyday that I know of, maybe she needs different scenery, somewhere else with new people.

     I felt bad as people walked by not even noticing her, like she wasn't even there pouring her heart out into song. Everyone continued their day without a care in the world. I soon felt really bad that I wasn't doing anything to help her and let her do this alone. But if you think about it, she has been all this time.

     What if that was the problem? She has been alone all this time with no music or anyone. Could that be the reason people aren't stopping? I thought this was stupid overall, nobody cared either way. I noticed when she stopped singing and bent down to pick up her hat. Has she given up already? Guilt rushed over me and I thought of something I could do, but nothing popped into my head.



© 2014 Danielle Breithaupt


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
Added on November 11, 2014
Last Updated on November 11, 2014