Chapter 9

Chapter 9

A Chapter by Danielle Breithaupt

     I called Ariana and asked if she would want to go to the fair tonight on the pier. Well I wasn't sure if it was really a fair, but there were rides and games so yeah. I'm glad I got to her first otherwise Mikey would have called her. I also invited Tyler but he was going with a few other guys and girls.
     I thought it wouldn't be a great idea to bring my guitar, so I didn't. I met Ariana at the entrance and I paid for her ticket to get in. "You didn't have to, I have money." She told me as we made our way through the gates. "Yeah but I thought I would be a gentlemen." I smirked and we kept walking.
     There wasn't much to do, small things and games. We walked and stopped at a haunted mansion. There were carts that fit two and a bar to keep you in. Ariana wasn't into that kind of stuff, but I forced her to come on with me.
     "Come on Ari, I won't let anything hurt you, I promise." With a weak nod of her head, she was seated next to me in the cart.
     The lady pushed the bar down ontop of us to secure our saftey. The cart started with a jerk and we were on our way through the haunted house. It was pretty dark where we couldn't see eachother clearly, but I could make out the image of Ariana sitting right beside me.
     A ghoul popped up on her side and it caught her by surprise. She screamed and jerked her head to face away from the object that scared her. I laughed at her until something popped out on my side and I jumped. I didn't scream, but my heart was pounding faster than usual.
     Ariana then laughed and after I recovered from fright I faced her, "You think that this is funny don't you?" I whispered. She giggled. "Yes actually."
     A few seconds later, the cart stopped and a giant clown popped up and made a screeching noise. She flipped and was so scared she moved her hand and it accidentally landed on mine.
     Who knew that would have cause inner turmoil for me.
     I could tell she was blushing but thanks to the dark, I couldn't see. She moved it away as quickly as possible like it was a mistake that it landed there.
     It used to never be awkward when we were like this. When she would hug me, there would be no awkward tension and now all of a sudden there was. I didn't understand but I just let it go.
     The ride was over in a matter of minutes and we exited through the gate another lady told us to go through. We hit a few more rides and eventually got some food for our craving stomachs.
     Both us ordered pizza, so typical, and we found an empty table to sit down at. It was night time now and all the lights were shining brightly on the rides.
     "Can we go on the ferris wheel after this?" Ariana asked looking up right at it. The machine was changing colors from the brightest, reds to blues and greens. "Yeah, anything you want." I told her and when we were done eating, that's the next ride we headed for.
     In a matter of minutes Ariana and I were seated in a red and white cart that slowly brought us to the top. This ferris wheel was really high compared to the normal ones people go on. The view was perfect though, I wouldn't have wanted this night to go any better.
     At the top Ariana pointed to people she saw and buildings in the distance. Small talk was made and we no important topics came up, that is until the cart started to descend.
Gradually the red and white cart lowered closer to the bottom. "Hey, is that Mikey?" She asked a little worried.
     I took a look in the direction she was pointing to.
     Oh yeah it was Mikey. Wait, Mikey was here without Ariana? And that's not even the worst part. "Is- is he here with another girl?" She said probably wishing it wasn't true. We both watched as he pecked the girl on the cheek after winning her a stuffed animal.
     The look on Ariana's face was heart breaking. "Are you okay?" I asked carefully, already knowing the answer. She turned away from me trying to avoid my eye contact. "Listen, he isn't worth your time. He doesn't deserve your attention." I spoke quietly to comfort her. I watched as she wiped her eyes.
     The ride came to a stop and we were released from the cart. She bolted out walking away in disappointment and hurt. "Ari, stop!" I demanded not wanting her to walk away from me.
     She turned around quickly and I stopped right away because I almost bumped into her. "If you saw what I just saw, you can understand why it's time for me to leave." She said wiping her eyes once more.
     Ariana wasn't trying but her eyes were glossy and a few tears managed to escape.
I couldn't do anything but stand there and watch her slip away from me. She walked fast and I watched until I couldn't see her anymore. I felt so bad, that a*****e. How could someone even do that to someone like her? I was angry, and my stomach was filled with sorrow.
     I didn't know what to do after she left. I just walked until something came to mind.
     A few games down, was another game where you had to shoot a basketball into the hoop to win a prize. I walked over and laid my money down on the counter. This had to be the easiest game ever, all I had to do was get one basketball into the hoop. It was tied on the bottom so the shop guy would know if I got one in or not. He handed me three basketballs and on the second attempt, I made it in. I had the choice between a stuffed tiger, bear, or a unicorn. I thought the bear was a medium choice, and I got it.
     Still feeling completely horrible about what happened, and thinking that it was my fault for letting her go out with him, I got in my car and drove off in the direction of her house. When I got there, the lights were on. I stood on the steps and knocked three times on the door.
     After a few moments, I heard yelling and something glass like break. I moved slightly to my right and tried to peer into the window because I was curious, but a curtain was blocking my view.
     I knocked frantically again a few more times. It was possible that maybe they fought like some families do, or maybe I was even at the wrong house. But I couldn't help but feel panicked for some reason.
     A women answered the door, but not fully. Just enough for her head to peek through. "I'm sorry this is a bad time." A scream pierced my ears and I knew it was Ariana. Nobody screamed like that unless they were in danger.
     Before she shut the door I stopped it with my foot. "What's going on?" I asked scared and curious on what was happening in the house.
The women looked behind her and then back at me with worry on her face. A few more things were breaking and yelling came shortly after. I glared at the women and shoved her out of the way and barged in to Ariana in a ball in a corner and what looked like her father leaning over her. "You're a worthless piece of trash!" He screamed. Then he grabbed her arm and pulled her up.
     It wasn't a friendly gesture, because after that he hit her, hard across her face. Then he threw his beer bottle.
     Ariana was sobbing and I was in complete shock. All of this happened in seconds and when I could react after being shocked, I ran over and pushed her father out of the way. I grabbed Ariana's hand and ran out of the house without a glance back.
     Her dad chased us until the porch and then he stopped. "If you leave here, you're not welcome back!" He screamed and stomped inside slamming the door behind him when we didn't turn around.
     I took Ariana in my car and started to drive her to my house. She wouldn't be going back there anytime soon. But why hasn't she told me this before? Out of all the people she could trust, I thought I would be at the top of her list.
     A few minutes later we arrived at my house, and I had to carry her inside because she was in so much pain that she was unable to walk. I had no idea what happened before I got there so I don't know where she was hurt exactly.
     "Bella!" I yelled. When she didn't come I yelled again, only louder. "Bella!"
     She jogged out of her room and stopped to put a hand over her mouth like most girls did when they were surprised.
     When she saw Ariana's face all red and a little bruised, she sprinted over and helped me place her on the couch. She ran to the kitchen to grab an ice pack for her to put on Ariana's face.
     How worse can someone's day get? She was "cheated on" by a guy she was going out with, and now her dad was abusing her? The amount of discomfort and anger that was building inside of me was about to explode. I couldn't do anything with it because Ariana needed me right now.
     I sat her in my lap and she rested her head on my shoulder. I could feel her tears soak into my shirt as she cried silently. Bella sat on the recliner and watched with a heart felt face. We didn't know what to do other than be here to comfort her.
     Ariana eventually cried herself to sleep, and I carried her into my bedroom and placed her on my bed. I asked Bella if she could change her into some of my clothes so she would be comfortable when she was sleeping. At first she said no, but then she said yes after I didn't take no for an answer.
     I walked into my room after Bella was done and sat on the side of my bed as Ariana slept peacefully. I pushed her hair away that was straggling in her face, and placed the teddy bear beside her. I smiled at how peaceful she looked sleeping. Before I left the room I kissed her forehead and walked toward the door.

     "Hunter," I heard Ariana say quietly. I turned around and she still had her eyes closed. I walked over to the side of the bed and listened. "Can you sleep with me tonight, please." She asked desperately. Her sleepy voice was adorable.

     "Yeah, I can." I threw on a pair of grey sweatpants and took off my shirt. Then I hopped into bed right next to her.
      When the bed dipped on my side because I was getting in, she smiled. "I have to tell you something tomorrow." She whispered half asleep. "Okay, I'll be here." I responded and tried falling asleep.

     It was rather difficult that night after what just happened. I wanted answers and I wanted to help her in the best way possible. Whatever it took to make her happy, I would do it.

     Everything ran through my head like a roller coaster. Maybe I wouldn't be getting any sleep tonight but I had to try. Plus it wasn't helping that Ariana had to tell me something tomorrow. I shouldn't over analyze, but it was always hard not to.



© 2014 Danielle Breithaupt


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
Added on November 11, 2014
Last Updated on November 11, 2014