Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
01 Intensity

01 Intensity

A Chapter by Jenny-Jen-Jen
"

Ella awaits the arrival of her new house guest with the help of her two best friends.

"
01

"Coffee flavored lip gloss?"


        Aralyn's accusatory tone never falters, never weakens in its rough feel, as she stares blankly into the crimson, softly spoken, and misunderstood eyes of Haven. "Weird, I know," Haven says, tugging at her new jean skirt that Aralyn forced her to buy at the mall two days ago. It's a little too tight, but it does show off her perfect legs that she always tries to hide. "But if it'll get me off this mocha addiction I have, it's worth it right?" Her voice is inquisitive, yet almost daring her to disagree.


        "All I'm saying is, that sounds disgusting." Aralyn says, flipping a page in her Vogue magazine with a hint of an attitude. Her eyes grow slightly larger at the sight of a Transformers ad with a picture of Shia Labeouf, looking hot and sweaty, just the way she likes him. "I will marry this man." She confesses, probably for the twelfth time today.


        Her expectations in men are a little high, but she settles for nothing less than famous these days. That all started when she found out from Elijah that her ex-boyfriend had cheated on her with Marcie Clayton the entire time they were together. Now, even the mention of Marcie's name or what happened three months ago comes with a four day silent treatment and about fifteen ignored phone calls.


        "You can have Shia," Haven assures her, "All I see in him is that kid from Even Stevens." She fakes a puke-face and goes back to readjusting her wardrobe. I have to agree with her though. I'm not into Transformers, like the rest of the teenage population, so I only remember the old Shia. And the old Shia, so not what a girl wants.


         "To each her own." Aralyn says, laying back on my bed, her head falling beside my hip. Her tanned arm, next to my pale thigh makes my skin look as if it's glowing. My skin has always been so fair, so white. It makes me jealous to have such golden friends. I maneuver myself on the bed so our skin tone differences aren't so noticeable.


        "Ella, when is this guy supposed to get here?" Haven asks, standing from the floor and moving over to the moon chair by my window. The way she walks is smooth, as if she floats. Another trait in my friends I envy; they're graceful. Both of them are almost perfect.


        Besides Aralyn's unrealistic hopes in guys and sometimes too-harsh responses, or Havens self conscious nature, they really set the standards for other girls. They may not be queens in popularity, but they could get any guy they wanted, if they wanted. Haven has her man, Elijah, and well, you know Aralyn's story.


         We joke and call Elijah, Elijah Woods. He has the most gorgeous eyes and a full head of dark brown curls. Ever since I made them sit and watch The Lord of The Rings with me, that has been they're favorite joke. I don't think they truly paid any attention to the movie itself, but they did notice that one actor.


        "Soon, which is why you guys need to go." I say, trying not to sound too pushy. My mom is bringing home some orphaned guy whose mother was a close friend of the family, or something of that nature. All I know is that he's going to be staying with us for the rest of his, and my, high school years until he's eighteen and can live his own life.


        I may seem to be a brat, but I'm still trying to accept the fact that I wont be the only teenager living in this house. I'll be sharing a bathroom with a complete stranger for two years, or more if my college fund doesn't come through. And even though this makes me sound like a horrible person, I don't really plan on welcoming him with open arms. I mean, it's not my families responsibility to house him. Where's his family? And why can't my mother remember how we're friends with his family in the first place?


        Aralyn sits up on the bed and glares at me. "You know, you're really no fun sometimes." I try to ignore her, even though I know there was much more truth there than she had intended to let out. I run my fingers through my strawberry blonde hair and look to Haven whose eyes are watching the front yard through the window.


        "At least clue us in on the details later, ok?" Aralyn smiles at me, giving into my plea of their exit. I would just rather do without their commentary once this guy arrives. Lord knows the extent of damage their snide remarks and harsh judgment can do to a person. I laugh, knowing I've only got to accept my friends as they are. They were the only two to take me in when I first moved here and I should be grateful for that. "Of course," I slide off the bed after Haven stands to retrieve her keys from my dresser.


        "I'll warn you though," I tuck my toes into my flip flops, preparing to walk them out. "He doesn't sound pleasant, from what mom has told me." Haven shrugs, picking up her bag, "Don't judge a book by it's cover." She gives me a once over, with a playful smile. "Thought you'd be an expert in that." And even though she didn't mean any harm from her comment, I recall my first day at our school, last year.


        I was a complete outsider, quiet, and I kept to myself. I was terrified, and teenagers know fear. By second period I was planning my speech for my parents on why home schooling would be a better option for my learning experience. If it hadn't been for Haven and Aralyn reaching out, offering me friendship, I would still be completely unhappy here.


        I walked them down, half because it's polite and half to make sure they do leave. Aralyn makes her way out the door, followed by Haven, but before Haven makes it off the porch she turns back to me. "One more thing!" She says, as if she has something of major importance to discuss with me.


        "If he's cute, will you please go for it girl?" Her eye brows raise and Aralyn turns, just to nod, violently agreeing with Haven when it comes to my need to date. I'll admit, it's time for me to get back out there. The last date I had was back during my freshman year, when I still lived in North Carolina, with a boy who turned out to be a closet case, gay.


        I frown upon my history. I look to the brick surrounding the large mahogany front door of my house, not willing to answer Havens request. "Promise us!" Aralyn demands, walking back up the steps to my porch. I realize if I don't agree, they might never leave, so I cave. "Fine, I promise." What's the likelihood of him being cute anyways?


        "Good, now we'll go." Haven smiles, playfully patting my shoulder, happy with herself. They skip together down the steps, giggling like children as they head for Haven's car. Both, ever so graceful as always. I roll my eyes and lean on the railing of the porch as I wait for them to leave.


        They both wave to me before backing out of the driveway and heading off down the street. I glance up to the sky, full of white fluffy clouds and rays of sunshine that light up the earth. If only that sun would work in favor of my complexion. I glance down the street wondering when my mom should be arriving with our new house guest.


        I sigh, wishing for just a few more days of quiet, but also wishing I could get this over with. "Where are you mom?" I whisper aloud, before shaking my head. This should be interesting. I turn to walk back inside but I'm startled when my eyes meet a pair of dark, nearly black eyes staring into mine with such intensity that I lose all feeling throughout my body.


© 2009 Jenny-Jen-Jen


Author's Note

Jenny-Jen-Jen
Sorry it didn't post right the first time. It never seems to for me. Let me know if you like it. Characters? Dialogue? Flow?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

i like it

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is excellent.

I will admit, whenever I start reading people's chapters, I generally lose interest if they end up being long. I'm an impatient person. However, this managed to fully keep my interest through the entire period of my reading, and I didn't want it to end. The characters are interesting, almost satirical at points. I love the humour throughtout; it makes the story flow exceptionally.

I love the part about Shia Lebouf, because I've had that same conversation with my friends (I still see him as the little Disney channel kid!!) I look forward to reading more of this and seeing how the characters develop. The only suggestion I can think of would be to continue the pacing as you are currently doing, spacing out the humour and the serious plot advances in order to maintain a steady flow. Brilliant work!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 4, 2009


Author

Jenny-Jen-Jen
Jenny-Jen-Jen

Mo-Town, NC



About
Death is Peaceful. Life is Harder. I base my writing upon what comes to mind, what I'm going through, and true feelings. I'm opinionated, and sometimes you'll see that shine through the cracks of m.. more..

Writing
Free Free

A Poem by Jenny-Jen-Jen