FREE author website
Authors are creating beautiful personal websites with Myauthor.space for FREE! Try us before you spend $1000s of dollars
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
One Minute Chapter Four: Tick, Tock, Boom!

One Minute Chapter Four: Tick, Tock, Boom!

A Chapter by DoormanDan

One Minute: Chapter Four

Tick, Tock, Boom!


The feeling of spikes, or anything sharp for that matter, being pressed against one's throat is not pleasant at all.  Drake had never once given this fact any thought before; but because of his current predicament, he was most definitely starting to realize how spot on that fact was.


"Alright..." The girl said menacingly as she pressed her jagged crystal covered arm against his throat a little harder, "...who are you?  Did he send you to come and get us?!  You'd better answer; otherwise I'll cut your throat here and now!!"  Her tone implied that it was not an empty threat.


Drake could feel his own heart going at a thousand beats a second, and the panic coursing through his system made it hard for him to find the words he desperately needed, but somehow he managed to collect them, "I-I-I don't know what you're talking about!"


 "You're lying-"


He cut her off, "N-no, I'm not, honestly!  I don't know who you are, or who 'he' is!  I don't even know where I am!  Please, you've got to believe me!"


The girl just stared at him silently.  For a brief moment, Drake feared that she didn't think he was being truthful, but then she removed her arm from against his throat, the red crystals retracting into her skin.  Instead of getting off him though, she did something truly bizarre; she started to sniff him.


"Hmm..."  The mask wearing girl took three quick sniffs of Drake's face, seemed to think something over, and then rose to her feet.  Extending her hand out to help him up, the girl said something Drake never once thought he would hear in his entire life, "...you smell trustworthy."


"Well then..."  Drake didn't understand how that worked at all, but he couldn't care less.  The important thing was that he was still alive.


He accepted the girl's hand, rose off the ground, and dusted off his clothes.  Once he'd done this, he turned to speak to the girl, to find that she was gone.  "What?  Where did she go?"  He surveyed the areas off to his sides, in front of him, and behind him, but the mask wearer was nowhere to be seen.  Where had she-.


"Boo!"  Someone behind Drake yelled in his ear.  With a loud (and somewhat embarrassing) yelp, the young man jumped and spun around to find the girl standing right behind him.


"How the-she wasn't there two seconds ago!!"  He thought, confused.


The girl giggled at Drake's reaction, "Sorry, I just had to double check that you weren't one of his soldiers.  Because of how easily you got startled, I know you aren't now."


Blushing a little, Drake asked, "How did you-?"


"Get behind you?"  The girl finished for him.  "Like this."  Drake watched, baffled, as the girl dissolved into a cloud of red and violet dust and sunk into the ground.  He hear something behind him, spun around, and saw the dust cloud rise up out of the soil.  As fast as lightning, the dust condensed back into the body of the girl.  When the process was done, the girl was doing a handstand.


"Tada!"  She exclaimed.  Even though she sounded like she was in her very early twenties, she was acting a lot like a little, hyper child who had just downed a bowlful of sugar.


If Drake hadn't been on the verge of being hysterical, he probably would have smiled at her antics; but right now a strange concoction of emotions was brewing in his mind.  he felt relieved, terrified, confused and frustrated all at the same time, and he didn't like it one bit.  He wanted answers, and he wanted them NOW.


As the girl ended her handstand, Drake began to ask his questions, "Alright, enlightenment time; who are you?  What is this place?  Why were there crystals covering your arm?  More importantly, what the hell is going on here?"


The girl gestured for him to slow down, "Whoa, take it down a notch Speedy Mcspeedyfeet!  How about we start with introductions first?"  The girl held out her hand for a handshake, "Hi, my name's Shannon.  What's your name?"


Drake took a deep breath and collected himself the best he could.  After counting to five silently, he shook Shannon's hand, "Hi, my name's Drake."


"It's nice to meet you Drake."  Shannon said cheerily, giving him a salute.


"Talk about childish" Drake shook his head, "It's nice to meet you too."  He changed the topic back to the things he wanted to know, "Now that we've gotten to know each other a little more, can you tell me what all..."  He pointed at everything around him, "...of this is?"


Shannon tilted her head like a dog does when it's confused, "You mean you don't know where you are?"


Drake nodded, "No, I don't.  One moment I was in my room, sleeping in my bed, and the next thing I know, I'm on some seashore that seems like it belongs in Alice in Wonderland!  I'm not sure if this is a dream or not..."He paused to pinch himself hard, "...Ow!  Okay, it isn't."  What is this place then?!  I know for a fact that this isn't Earth!"


"Earth?  Where have I heard that before?"  Shannon rubbed her chin and repeated the word to herself multiple times.  Suddenly, she clapped her hands and exclaimed excitedly, "Oh!"  She began to jump up and down, her multicolored cape flowing in the wind behind her, "You're the one the Oracles summoned!  This is perfect!  You're just what we need!"


Drake narrowed his eyes, "Whoa, wait, I don't understand a word you're saying.  What Oracles?"


Squealing with joy, Shannon grabbed him by his shirt and began to drag him in the direction of the green dome Drake had seen from the top of the hill.  He tried to free himself, but couldn't even so much as slow Shannon down.  She was quite a lot stronger than she looked.


"It's too complicated for me to explain."  She told him.  "Just come with me to the village and I'll introduce you to the Oracles.  They'll explain everything."


"They'd better" Drake thought as the ecstatic girl dragged him along.


A bit later...


Back when Drake first saw the green dome from on top of the hill, it was too far away for him to really make out any fine details about it; but now, as him and Shannon were standing right outside, he could tell that it wasn't just a green dome, it was a shell;  more specifically, a turtle shell.  It was, by far, the biggest turtle shell Drake had ever seen.  If he had to guess, he would have said it was a couple thousand feet long and maybe five hundred feet tall.  It didn't seem like anything was currently occupying it, which Drake didn't know whether to consider a good thing or a bad thing.


Seeing Drake's face, Shannon chuckled, "If you think this is crazy, just you wait until you see the actual village.  Follow me."  As soon as those words left her lips, the mask wearer began to jog for the shell entrance, humming loudly and waving her arms around as if she was an airplane.  Drake, after a moment of doing nothing, followed her.


Shannon was right when she said that the actual shell had nothing on the village encased within it.  "What in the name of all that is sanity...?"  Was all Drake could think as he stared at the strange sight before him.  The village was not one of wood, bricks, clay, or any other building material.  No, the buildings of this village were towering paper flowers, each with it's own special set of colors.  They easily had three hundred feet tall and two hundred feet across.  At the bottom of the stem, Drake could see wooden doors, which decimated any disbelief he had that these were buildings.  It was so unreal.  Nothing here made any sort of sense, how could this not be a dream?


Drake's reaction once again got Shannon to chuckle.  Patting Drake on the head as if he was a little puppy, she said, "There there, you can question this all you want later on; but right now, we need to get to the Oracles.  Come on, the place is right over-"


 She was cut off b a very loud chime that sounded like it came from further inside the village.  Looking in that direction, Drake noticed something in the middle of the village he had evaded his eyes; a giant, ebony grandfather clock.  It was placed right in what was most likely the exact center of the village.  The time on it read 11:59 pm.


Shannon gasped as the first chime's echo faded, and a second chime claimed it's throne.  She grabbed Drake's hand and held it so tightly that Drake winced.  "We need to take cover right now.  Go!!"  Before the young man could ask any questions, Shannon sprinted for the closest paper flower, with Drake right behind her.


They were about twenty feet from it when a third chime came.  "Get down!!'  Shannon tackled Drake to the ground as fast as she could.  Mere seconds later, a fourth chime echoed throughout the village.  Suddenly, a deafening thunder reached their ears, and a violent shockwave exploded from the grandfather clock.  The ground itself shook tremendously, and the paper flower buildings shoo to and fro, seeming like they would topple over at any moment.  The whole event was over as quickly as it had started, leaving only silence in it's place.


Slowly, Shannon rose back onto her feet and helped Drake up.  They were shaken, but unhurt.  "Alright, party's over."  She sighed in relief before turning to Drake, "Are you okay?"


The young man was light years from okay; he had lost his cool completely, "What in the name of all that is holy was that?!"  He yelled, hysterical.


Shannon sighed again and gazed at the ebony grandfather clock.  "That..."  She sounded unusually grim, "...was the end of 11:58 pm."  She spun back around and looked directly into Drake's eyes, "We really need to get to the Oracles now; we've only got one minute left!"  With this, she spun around once more and began to sprint towards the grandfather clock.  Drake followed her lead.


"Wait!"  He asked, confused, as he struggled to catch up to her, "One minute until what?"


Shannon abruptly stopped in her tracks, making Drake almost crash into her.  She turned her head to look over her shoulder, and what she said next made Drake wish he hadn't asked the question.


"One minute until the end of this world, and all life on it." 


 




© 2015 DoormanDan


Author's Note

DoormanDan
Sorry this chapter took so long to write! I know that there are probably clumsy sentences and other errors in this chapter(along with all of the other chapters), so feel free to point them out!

By the way, I edited the previous chapter and changed something, so if something doesn't seem to make any sense in this chapter, that might be because of the changes I made to the previous chapter. I hope you enjoy this chapter! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I must, unfortunately, mention that I was not fond of this piece. In no particular order, I have to admit that the grammar, flow, power, detail and sense quite lacked, in certain ways. I'll go into more detail below:

As far as the "Flow" is concerned, these inclusions of "X time amount later" and "meanwhile" add ABSOLUTELY nothing to the piece in total. I understand why they were included, but I deny them as redeeming or good in any sense of the words. If this is meant to be Drake's epiphanous journey, then skipping so much time and chance for his character to develop is the most counter-productive thing to be done shy of just making him intolerably reprehensible. I'm sure that there is SOMETHING the author can replace all of these time-skips with, such as the trek through the "hourglass desert" where he learns more about Shannon, this world that he now lives in, and even himself.

In fact, the excerpt below the "meanwhile" subtitle is completely irrelevant baggage to this story, and could be gotten rid of to benefit:

'Meanwhile...

Ashley, upon hanging up, tossed her phone onto her bed and rubbed her neck. She took a deep breath and just stared at her phone. There seemed to be a thin coating of sadness over her eyes as she stared. She didn't move a muscle for approximately a minute, a minute that felt like five millennia. Finally, the woman mumbled something. If a person with great hearing was in her room when she spoke, he/she might have heard something like, "I just don't want you to regret anything in the end." Not saying anymore, Ashley left her room, closing the door behind her.'

I would omit this whole segment; it adds nothing to the story, in any way, and is a ridiculous reason for daring to change a perspective. PoV's (points of view) are difficult to manage even for professionals, and the fewer you have, generally the better off you become.

Detail lacks in some regards, but often it's because it wasn't input until such a time as it could fill a gap. For example, in this very chapter, the turtle-shell-believed-to-be-a-dome wasn't mentioned until Shannon indicated that that was where they were to go, and Drake admits to having 'seen' it prior despite having observed nothing of the sort initially. Basically, if something is written into the story, it becomes a part of it; however, if it is NOT recorded such, then it effectively is NOT a part of the story at that time. A character can see, hear, smell or whatever-the-case-may-be something in her / his surroundings, but can also dismiss it upon having perceived it. One line writ as such might help:

"In the distance, a single stationary semicircle was visible, green as the grass which did not exist here.'

That would be sufficient to not only explain that it exists prior to it needing to be used (which helps to not make the story seem like a convenience-of-plot type of thing), but sets you up so that you can use it if you choose. Doing this for a multitude of environment aspects will both broaden the world and perhaps foreshadow something's usefulness without making it seem as though it was just lucky. There's nothing wrong with a bit of luck, but the suspense of the story (and the perceptibility of its characters) will be weakened if everything happens to be handy for them to continue the journey. (NOTE: This isn't a trend yet, but I know this to be a thing with a lot of new writers; I'd like to have you nip this one in the bud before it becomes a problem).

As for character strength (Power), it's very difficult to even create any with such a poor flow, but I'm going to attempt to piece together Drake's character. This ties in with Sense, to a degree, but I'll cover that in detail down below the "Nit-pick" line.

"Drake is an (assumed) introvert and neurotic coward, who has no interest and quite a deal of fear of exciting and / or dangerous activities. He suffers from a damaged past and has a VERY bipolar reaction to his mother's mention following her mysterious death, and such an appreciation of the memory her that he tends to lose himself in his thoughts of her."

This is fine for a character, especially for one undergoing this kind of massive personality shift, but he doesn't live his words. He feels no fear of death through driving, but one of a baseball chancing him as the fan it will hit, when conclusively driving is considered a hazard immeasurably greater than the baseball incident. He does not shy from the memory of his mother, but rather seems obsessed with keeping such memories to himself and not allowing others to even express the name in his presence (which is fine, but I'm not sure if it's the thing you're going for). He feels, once again, no fear in the "other-world," his psychosis one that most assuredly would translate into even a dream, and in fact he seems to feel NOTHING until a band of fictitious wisps tickle and (afterward) attempt to kill him.

In fact, the character of Shannon is more accurate than Drake, because she does act childish and foolish and generally clown-like, and the actions she takes support this narration. Since these are the only two characters to judge, I'd mark this as a TENTATIVE 50% success rate, because one character falls short and one succeeds. However, since Drake is your MAIN character, the value of this success rate shrinks due to his importance to the story; in short, my rambling basically means that the character of Blake fails terribly and should be reworked to better present the narrative (and the dialogue) that marks his personality.

This leads directly into the dialogue in general, which I was also not fond of. It appears SOMEWHAT realistic, but MOSTLY characters in this world do not speak as we might assume of casual conversation. I'll link a good example:

'After a short moment of silence, a girl responded on the other end, "Hey Drake! It's me, Ashley." The lady then added a little joke, "You can't even remember your best friend? That makes me sadder than burnt toast."

Drake chuckled at her rather peculiar humor before apologizing, "Sorry Ashley."

"All is forgiven, for now at least."' Ch-1, Par. 5-7 full.

Really, the opening was fine (Hey Drake! It's me, Ashley.), but I was fond of nothing that followed. Her asking him to remember "his best friend" is not something one might say to anyone but a broken-fourth-wall audience, and "sadder than burnt toast" is just weird. I think this is an example of language being misapplied, as even in the narrative the terms 'girl' and 'lady' imply quite different subjects. It might be rewritten to such:

'After a short moment of silence, a girl responded on the other end. "Hey Drake! It's me, Ashley!" Drake immediately cringed, knowing that she wanted something. He couldn't be certain of just what it might be, but he knew it wasn't something he'd enjoy.

"Hey, Ashley," he returned, attempting to not sound as sullen as he felt. "I meant to call earlier, but. . . . " But he couldn't find an adequate lie, and so he just let his words trail off.

"Sure you did," she gibed, picking the conversation right back up from the ditch in which he'd left it. "Oh well. I forgive you; for now, at least."' Ch-1, Par. 5-7 full.

Considering Drake's character, I figured I'd give him a more cynical view of his obviously-adventurous and joyful friend to complement what we the audience already have learned about his lack of desire to engage in any exciting activity. It's clear to Drake that, given his apparent familiarity with Ashley, he would know what her personality was (namely, that she's more of a thrill-seeker than he, and that she wants to pull him out of a shell that he's perfectly comfortable living in). It's all about maintaining consistency for your characters' respective personalities, and showing the audience without having to resort to telling them about someone.

NOTE: THIS IS WHERE THE NIT-PICKING TRULY BEGINS!

As far as Sense, I must begin with my admission that sense is probably not the issue you're most concerned with (as it should not be, considering that I like the plot despite finding faults). However, there are a few aspects of it that link to the writing itself and not the plot, and THOSE are what I'll discuss here:

'There was a momentary pause, almost as if Ashley was trying to decide how to word what she was about to say. But being the fluently social person she was, she quickly found her words, "Uh...Tyler, Zach, Dillon and I are planning on going hang gliding on Saturday, and I was wondering if you'd like to-".' Ch-1, Par. 11 full.

"Fluently social" seems a tad redundant, and if using the term 'fluent' loosely to mean 'easily,' it still leaves a rather distasteful residue. "Easily social" sounds far worse than simply 'sociable' (e.g., "Yet, Drake knew her to be quite sociable, and without disappointing she quickly found her words."). This is also another example of you having told the audience of a trait which doesn't seem to be being expressed to its fullest sense, as Ashley still seems rather taken aback (though, I will excuse this for the situation, as Drake probably isn't the easiest character to associate with).

'Smiling Slightly, Drake picked up the violin and boy, made sure it was tuned, and rested his chin on the chinrest. What happened next was truly magnificent.

The black haired boy began to play what had to be one of the most pleasant, soothing and wonderful instrumentals ever. He didn't even seem to be thinking about anything as he moved with the music perfectly.' Ch-2, Par. 14-15 full.

Sometimes, I feel confused as to whether this is a story Drake is experiencing or a story being told to us from a third party ABOUT what this character Drake is or has experienced. The lines are blurred extremely, and though this can turn out well, it simply has not thus far. This makes some lines or even paragraphs feel out-of-place and ramshackle, if I might use the term. For example, "boy, made sure it was tuned" almost appears as if we SHOULD have some context from a past where Drake DIDN'T tune the violin, but until this point the violin in question was actually nonexistent. As well, "He didn't even seem to be thinking" implies that someone else is assuming whether or not he thought, but previous lines would have had Drake thinking things he never expressed without the presumption that THAT was what he truly WAS thinking. See the confusion?

While I've got that example, I have another nit-pick about sense. The writer 'A Ghost of Myself,' back reviewing Chapter One, made mention to the 'black-haired man' inclusions (which vary, but resemble that phrase in that it seems to be a detachment from the story by a third-party storyteller). I read your response, stating that you didn't want to overuse these terms. However, when it comes to names, you really don't have to worry too much. If the subject is known throughout a paragraph, using the articles (s)he, it, they, etc don't detract from the writing one bit. Articles are there to be used, so round-abouts like 'the messy-haired man' don't need to be included. For example:

"David, a man of such stature in the community, was the local drunkard of Townofheaven. His primary professions included drinking, barfing, drinking, starting fights with random dogs in alleyways, farting, barfing and drinking, and he was quite skilled at what he did. In fact, some might call him a savant of the brew, but that might be pushing things a little."

In the above example, I only needed to use David's name once, substituting the article 'he' for every other potential occurrence. However, we can try it this way as well:

"David, colloquially, was what some might refer to as a drunk. Samuel Farthington, the local Sheriff, would occasionally have to step between the man and a cactus which had 'wronged' him, because David had been drinking and was too stupid to realize that it wasn't, in fact, a dragon. Samuel had always considered David to be a disappointment, a ninety-five year old man without any decency, and so used to David's antics was he that Samuel had actually reserved a padded cell for the drunkard of Townofheaven. It was ready at any time of day for the elderly mongrel of their fine town to get some 'much-needed rest.'"

In the second example, I barely used ANY articles, and the story flowed just fine (though, in fairness, I did refer to David as an "elderly mongrel," but this is a fine substitute for the man as it marks an opinion of the narrator and a judgment of character. After all, calling him a "bald, elderly mongrel" does nothing to add to the story except poorly pass on knowledge of a physical trait which probably had been written in previously). Regardless of how you want to write it, a name or an article supercedes the use of a description to denote the subject of a sentence or paragraph. It's kind of like saying "the wooden butt-rest" for a chair, when in actuality the word "chair" would suit perfectly.

There's probably more I could add, but for now I think this review presents a good deal of content to work on. If you've read this far, which I'll understand you not having done, then I would like to conclude with something perhaps that you don't want to hear from me, and that is that I do believe you can succeed given you apply yourself. When I was reading through these reviews, barring that of the reviewer 'A Ghost of Myself,' I was almost left with a bitter feeling. It's not that their praise is unfounded, because I admit that the plot is just weird enough for me to call it a vastly more original work than most anything I've seen online; no, rather, I am distressed because of the sheer amount of "saturation praise" that has come with this piece. There's nothing but positivity in these reviews, positivity which has overlooked EVERY flaw and ignored ANY area in which to criticise. Reviews like this don't help an author grow, and I mean that in the most serious sense possible; if you're told that what you are doing is good, you won't ever try to find ways in which you can get better, because you feel that you are already on that path. But what happens when you aren't, and you come to understand that you've made an error that has been overlooked by ALL of your fans?

I wanted to review this simply because it was suffering from this aura, this saturation. I didn't come into this story with the intention of finding errors, though; I came to this one with the same neutrality that I do every other, and yet I'm glad that I was able to discover what I have. I don't want you to take my words as gospel, but I DO want you to consider EACH and EVERY one of them. Ask questions to English teachers and parents, friends and even the family pet if you have one. Ask your walls, yourself, your stuffed animal, your imaginary stalker monster made of Froot Loops and duct tape if you really need the answers. These issues were the obvious, and any professional editor will pick many if not all of these very mistakes out themselves.

All things considered, though, I do wish you luck, and I really do hope you get further with this. How you deal with this review will tell me just what your future will hold for you, and despite everything I am pleased to have read this story.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

S. D. Forogar

9 Years Ago

I'm pleased to see how you took that haha! I apologize that you had to hear it so crudely, but it wa.. read more
S. D. Forogar

9 Years Ago

I meant 11th grade of course haha! Don't ask why I said 12th, my mind jumped to a conclusion. See wh.. read more
DoormanDan

9 Years Ago

I think I will make sure to include that in the Author's note from now on. Thanks for that suggesti.. read more



Reviews

I must, unfortunately, mention that I was not fond of this piece. In no particular order, I have to admit that the grammar, flow, power, detail and sense quite lacked, in certain ways. I'll go into more detail below:

As far as the "Flow" is concerned, these inclusions of "X time amount later" and "meanwhile" add ABSOLUTELY nothing to the piece in total. I understand why they were included, but I deny them as redeeming or good in any sense of the words. If this is meant to be Drake's epiphanous journey, then skipping so much time and chance for his character to develop is the most counter-productive thing to be done shy of just making him intolerably reprehensible. I'm sure that there is SOMETHING the author can replace all of these time-skips with, such as the trek through the "hourglass desert" where he learns more about Shannon, this world that he now lives in, and even himself.

In fact, the excerpt below the "meanwhile" subtitle is completely irrelevant baggage to this story, and could be gotten rid of to benefit:

'Meanwhile...

Ashley, upon hanging up, tossed her phone onto her bed and rubbed her neck. She took a deep breath and just stared at her phone. There seemed to be a thin coating of sadness over her eyes as she stared. She didn't move a muscle for approximately a minute, a minute that felt like five millennia. Finally, the woman mumbled something. If a person with great hearing was in her room when she spoke, he/she might have heard something like, "I just don't want you to regret anything in the end." Not saying anymore, Ashley left her room, closing the door behind her.'

I would omit this whole segment; it adds nothing to the story, in any way, and is a ridiculous reason for daring to change a perspective. PoV's (points of view) are difficult to manage even for professionals, and the fewer you have, generally the better off you become.

Detail lacks in some regards, but often it's because it wasn't input until such a time as it could fill a gap. For example, in this very chapter, the turtle-shell-believed-to-be-a-dome wasn't mentioned until Shannon indicated that that was where they were to go, and Drake admits to having 'seen' it prior despite having observed nothing of the sort initially. Basically, if something is written into the story, it becomes a part of it; however, if it is NOT recorded such, then it effectively is NOT a part of the story at that time. A character can see, hear, smell or whatever-the-case-may-be something in her / his surroundings, but can also dismiss it upon having perceived it. One line writ as such might help:

"In the distance, a single stationary semicircle was visible, green as the grass which did not exist here.'

That would be sufficient to not only explain that it exists prior to it needing to be used (which helps to not make the story seem like a convenience-of-plot type of thing), but sets you up so that you can use it if you choose. Doing this for a multitude of environment aspects will both broaden the world and perhaps foreshadow something's usefulness without making it seem as though it was just lucky. There's nothing wrong with a bit of luck, but the suspense of the story (and the perceptibility of its characters) will be weakened if everything happens to be handy for them to continue the journey. (NOTE: This isn't a trend yet, but I know this to be a thing with a lot of new writers; I'd like to have you nip this one in the bud before it becomes a problem).

As for character strength (Power), it's very difficult to even create any with such a poor flow, but I'm going to attempt to piece together Drake's character. This ties in with Sense, to a degree, but I'll cover that in detail down below the "Nit-pick" line.

"Drake is an (assumed) introvert and neurotic coward, who has no interest and quite a deal of fear of exciting and / or dangerous activities. He suffers from a damaged past and has a VERY bipolar reaction to his mother's mention following her mysterious death, and such an appreciation of the memory her that he tends to lose himself in his thoughts of her."

This is fine for a character, especially for one undergoing this kind of massive personality shift, but he doesn't live his words. He feels no fear of death through driving, but one of a baseball chancing him as the fan it will hit, when conclusively driving is considered a hazard immeasurably greater than the baseball incident. He does not shy from the memory of his mother, but rather seems obsessed with keeping such memories to himself and not allowing others to even express the name in his presence (which is fine, but I'm not sure if it's the thing you're going for). He feels, once again, no fear in the "other-world," his psychosis one that most assuredly would translate into even a dream, and in fact he seems to feel NOTHING until a band of fictitious wisps tickle and (afterward) attempt to kill him.

In fact, the character of Shannon is more accurate than Drake, because she does act childish and foolish and generally clown-like, and the actions she takes support this narration. Since these are the only two characters to judge, I'd mark this as a TENTATIVE 50% success rate, because one character falls short and one succeeds. However, since Drake is your MAIN character, the value of this success rate shrinks due to his importance to the story; in short, my rambling basically means that the character of Blake fails terribly and should be reworked to better present the narrative (and the dialogue) that marks his personality.

This leads directly into the dialogue in general, which I was also not fond of. It appears SOMEWHAT realistic, but MOSTLY characters in this world do not speak as we might assume of casual conversation. I'll link a good example:

'After a short moment of silence, a girl responded on the other end, "Hey Drake! It's me, Ashley." The lady then added a little joke, "You can't even remember your best friend? That makes me sadder than burnt toast."

Drake chuckled at her rather peculiar humor before apologizing, "Sorry Ashley."

"All is forgiven, for now at least."' Ch-1, Par. 5-7 full.

Really, the opening was fine (Hey Drake! It's me, Ashley.), but I was fond of nothing that followed. Her asking him to remember "his best friend" is not something one might say to anyone but a broken-fourth-wall audience, and "sadder than burnt toast" is just weird. I think this is an example of language being misapplied, as even in the narrative the terms 'girl' and 'lady' imply quite different subjects. It might be rewritten to such:

'After a short moment of silence, a girl responded on the other end. "Hey Drake! It's me, Ashley!" Drake immediately cringed, knowing that she wanted something. He couldn't be certain of just what it might be, but he knew it wasn't something he'd enjoy.

"Hey, Ashley," he returned, attempting to not sound as sullen as he felt. "I meant to call earlier, but. . . . " But he couldn't find an adequate lie, and so he just let his words trail off.

"Sure you did," she gibed, picking the conversation right back up from the ditch in which he'd left it. "Oh well. I forgive you; for now, at least."' Ch-1, Par. 5-7 full.

Considering Drake's character, I figured I'd give him a more cynical view of his obviously-adventurous and joyful friend to complement what we the audience already have learned about his lack of desire to engage in any exciting activity. It's clear to Drake that, given his apparent familiarity with Ashley, he would know what her personality was (namely, that she's more of a thrill-seeker than he, and that she wants to pull him out of a shell that he's perfectly comfortable living in). It's all about maintaining consistency for your characters' respective personalities, and showing the audience without having to resort to telling them about someone.

NOTE: THIS IS WHERE THE NIT-PICKING TRULY BEGINS!

As far as Sense, I must begin with my admission that sense is probably not the issue you're most concerned with (as it should not be, considering that I like the plot despite finding faults). However, there are a few aspects of it that link to the writing itself and not the plot, and THOSE are what I'll discuss here:

'There was a momentary pause, almost as if Ashley was trying to decide how to word what she was about to say. But being the fluently social person she was, she quickly found her words, "Uh...Tyler, Zach, Dillon and I are planning on going hang gliding on Saturday, and I was wondering if you'd like to-".' Ch-1, Par. 11 full.

"Fluently social" seems a tad redundant, and if using the term 'fluent' loosely to mean 'easily,' it still leaves a rather distasteful residue. "Easily social" sounds far worse than simply 'sociable' (e.g., "Yet, Drake knew her to be quite sociable, and without disappointing she quickly found her words."). This is also another example of you having told the audience of a trait which doesn't seem to be being expressed to its fullest sense, as Ashley still seems rather taken aback (though, I will excuse this for the situation, as Drake probably isn't the easiest character to associate with).

'Smiling Slightly, Drake picked up the violin and boy, made sure it was tuned, and rested his chin on the chinrest. What happened next was truly magnificent.

The black haired boy began to play what had to be one of the most pleasant, soothing and wonderful instrumentals ever. He didn't even seem to be thinking about anything as he moved with the music perfectly.' Ch-2, Par. 14-15 full.

Sometimes, I feel confused as to whether this is a story Drake is experiencing or a story being told to us from a third party ABOUT what this character Drake is or has experienced. The lines are blurred extremely, and though this can turn out well, it simply has not thus far. This makes some lines or even paragraphs feel out-of-place and ramshackle, if I might use the term. For example, "boy, made sure it was tuned" almost appears as if we SHOULD have some context from a past where Drake DIDN'T tune the violin, but until this point the violin in question was actually nonexistent. As well, "He didn't even seem to be thinking" implies that someone else is assuming whether or not he thought, but previous lines would have had Drake thinking things he never expressed without the presumption that THAT was what he truly WAS thinking. See the confusion?

While I've got that example, I have another nit-pick about sense. The writer 'A Ghost of Myself,' back reviewing Chapter One, made mention to the 'black-haired man' inclusions (which vary, but resemble that phrase in that it seems to be a detachment from the story by a third-party storyteller). I read your response, stating that you didn't want to overuse these terms. However, when it comes to names, you really don't have to worry too much. If the subject is known throughout a paragraph, using the articles (s)he, it, they, etc don't detract from the writing one bit. Articles are there to be used, so round-abouts like 'the messy-haired man' don't need to be included. For example:

"David, a man of such stature in the community, was the local drunkard of Townofheaven. His primary professions included drinking, barfing, drinking, starting fights with random dogs in alleyways, farting, barfing and drinking, and he was quite skilled at what he did. In fact, some might call him a savant of the brew, but that might be pushing things a little."

In the above example, I only needed to use David's name once, substituting the article 'he' for every other potential occurrence. However, we can try it this way as well:

"David, colloquially, was what some might refer to as a drunk. Samuel Farthington, the local Sheriff, would occasionally have to step between the man and a cactus which had 'wronged' him, because David had been drinking and was too stupid to realize that it wasn't, in fact, a dragon. Samuel had always considered David to be a disappointment, a ninety-five year old man without any decency, and so used to David's antics was he that Samuel had actually reserved a padded cell for the drunkard of Townofheaven. It was ready at any time of day for the elderly mongrel of their fine town to get some 'much-needed rest.'"

In the second example, I barely used ANY articles, and the story flowed just fine (though, in fairness, I did refer to David as an "elderly mongrel," but this is a fine substitute for the man as it marks an opinion of the narrator and a judgment of character. After all, calling him a "bald, elderly mongrel" does nothing to add to the story except poorly pass on knowledge of a physical trait which probably had been written in previously). Regardless of how you want to write it, a name or an article supercedes the use of a description to denote the subject of a sentence or paragraph. It's kind of like saying "the wooden butt-rest" for a chair, when in actuality the word "chair" would suit perfectly.

There's probably more I could add, but for now I think this review presents a good deal of content to work on. If you've read this far, which I'll understand you not having done, then I would like to conclude with something perhaps that you don't want to hear from me, and that is that I do believe you can succeed given you apply yourself. When I was reading through these reviews, barring that of the reviewer 'A Ghost of Myself,' I was almost left with a bitter feeling. It's not that their praise is unfounded, because I admit that the plot is just weird enough for me to call it a vastly more original work than most anything I've seen online; no, rather, I am distressed because of the sheer amount of "saturation praise" that has come with this piece. There's nothing but positivity in these reviews, positivity which has overlooked EVERY flaw and ignored ANY area in which to criticise. Reviews like this don't help an author grow, and I mean that in the most serious sense possible; if you're told that what you are doing is good, you won't ever try to find ways in which you can get better, because you feel that you are already on that path. But what happens when you aren't, and you come to understand that you've made an error that has been overlooked by ALL of your fans?

I wanted to review this simply because it was suffering from this aura, this saturation. I didn't come into this story with the intention of finding errors, though; I came to this one with the same neutrality that I do every other, and yet I'm glad that I was able to discover what I have. I don't want you to take my words as gospel, but I DO want you to consider EACH and EVERY one of them. Ask questions to English teachers and parents, friends and even the family pet if you have one. Ask your walls, yourself, your stuffed animal, your imaginary stalker monster made of Froot Loops and duct tape if you really need the answers. These issues were the obvious, and any professional editor will pick many if not all of these very mistakes out themselves.

All things considered, though, I do wish you luck, and I really do hope you get further with this. How you deal with this review will tell me just what your future will hold for you, and despite everything I am pleased to have read this story.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

S. D. Forogar

9 Years Ago

I'm pleased to see how you took that haha! I apologize that you had to hear it so crudely, but it wa.. read more
S. D. Forogar

9 Years Ago

I meant 11th grade of course haha! Don't ask why I said 12th, my mind jumped to a conclusion. See wh.. read more
DoormanDan

9 Years Ago

I think I will make sure to include that in the Author's note from now on. Thanks for that suggesti.. read more
I love it and I'm really excited to be able to find out what happens next!!!:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


You are really gifted. I hope that you are thinking of taking some classes on writing With a gift like yours please do not waste it. Valentine

Posted 9 Years Ago


DoormanDan

9 Years Ago

Thanks for the kind words. I am planning on taking a creative writing class next year in 12th grade.. read more
I loved this!!! Each chapter gets more and more interesting! I admit when I saw another chapter in my review requests I was very excited. This could go in a million directions because it's so abstract, and it's your job to point your readers into the correct direction, you have been doing very well! I have no idea what to expect for the next chapter and I think honestly that is the most fun part about it! Keep at it Dan your great! :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


DoormanDan

9 Years Ago

Thanks Amber, Im glad Im this story is still living up to expectations. Hopefully it will continue .. read more
Amber Lily

9 Years Ago

I haven't read this much symbolism since Shakespeare, it's fun to try to figure out the deeper meani.. read more
DoormanDan

9 Years Ago

I have a strange feeling that writing this book is going to drive me INSANE lol :)
Dang you Dan ! Why did you have to write this?
Now I have to read the other chapters too.
I love it !
It's metaphysical, enlightening, adventurous.
I was captivated completely from beginning to end.
I felt the excitement and adventure and vividly saw the scene.
Seriously this could make an awesome movie.
I also enjoyed the format. it was so easy for my eyes to read.
I very much enjoy the way you express yourself. You make it fun.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Cryingkate

9 Years Ago

OH Dan,I wouldn't dream of combining it now. Oh No.... Let it roll as it comes as is.....
Jus.. read more
DoormanDan

9 Years Ago

Well, in the world of writing(in my opinion at least) there really is no "better" writer, because an.. read more
Cryingkate

9 Years Ago

Oh your so modest.. Your a great writer. You got the stuff it takes. Your a natural !
Man Dan (That rhymed xD) I'm really loving the course of this book and surreal of it!
What a great imagination you there in your mind friend, this chapter is truely awesome!!!
Can't wait to read more :)
Great work Dan!

Posted 9 Years Ago


DoormanDan

9 Years Ago

I will take a look at it. The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy is more than a good book, it is a CLA.. read more
Lizardo

9 Years Ago

It sounds really interesting, I will read then! Any book that makes someone smile is deserved to rea.. read more
DoormanDan

9 Years Ago

You will NOT be disappointed, I guarantee it :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

475 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 20, 2015
Last Updated on February 23, 2015


Author

DoormanDan
DoormanDan

College Burnout, DE



About
I'm a twenty one year old young man who enjoys writing poetry, songs, stories, paintball and other things. My favorite things to do are parkour, video games, listening to music, and making people hap.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..





Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)
Compartment 114
Compartment 114