Data Entry One:  The Osir Tree

Data Entry One: The Osir Tree

A Chapter by DoormanDan
"

A background on the lore heavy tree known as the Osir Tree

"

The Wonders of an Existence

Data Entry 1: The Osir Tree

 

Current Homeplanet:  Jovia

Lifespan:  640-750 years (classified as “Short lived”)

Size:  Between 340 and 550ft tall

Habitant Found in:  Forest, Mountains, Deserts (Rarely)

Species Status: Endangered Level I (Borderline Extinct in Cosmological Terms)

 


       The Osir Tree is an indigenous tree once able to be found on most Goldilocks Zone planets in the galaxies of Athtan and Sparen.  However, after the abhorrent and widespread Second War of Rancor, the organisms numbers were reduced significantly, and now can only be found on the planet Jovia on the outskirts of Athtan.

         The tree is made distinct by a myriad of characteristics.  Its mesmerizing silver bark glisters faintly but brilliantly when exposed to daylight, but turns a soothing gold color under the ghostly tears of moonlight.  On nights when the moon isn’t present, it lights up the surrounding darkness with luminous, swirling blue and red orbs, known as Caska Seeds, that bloom from its branches.  The day after, the tree releases these seeds, which then fly off into the sunrise.  It is not yet known where they go, but research so far suggests they warp to another dimension.  See The Anomalies that are Spacetime Quakes for more information.

         For thousands of years, the tree has been one surrounded by lore, which only recently, thanks to new psychoanalytical and spirituaanalytical technologies, have proven to hold bare truth.  Whenever any organism dies in the shadow of the tree, the tree takes ahold of their Tamashi (Japanese word for "soul"), and absorbs them, later turning them into Caska Seeds.  When this happens, the seeds will either turn red or blue (no reason for this has yet been discovered).  Often, ceremonies are held underneath these trees whenever anybody's relative or friend is near death, as religious folk view these seeds as vessels for their departed loved ones, taking them either to Elysium or Infernum (this hasn’t been proven, neither have the existence of either Planes of Reality mentioned, but further research into the matter should one day yield an answer).

One such ceremony is the Ceremony of Sanguine Ashes.  This ceremony consists of three stages; Purify, Blessing and Release.  During Purify, a priest meets the dying individual, and proceeds to pray for that individual's spiritual forgiveness.  After this stage comes Blessing, in which an hour of silent prayer is conducted by all who attend the ceremony.  At the end of the hour, the dying individual is sprinkled with Sanguine Ash, which is thought to bring good luck to the soul itself.  The last part of the ceremony is Release, during which everybody attending the ceremony simply waits with the dying individual until they depart from the realm of the living.  How long this portion of the ceremony lasts depends on how  long the individual stays alive (the longest ever recorded was five days, seven hours, thirty two minutes and 12 seconds).  The night after the individual's death, candles are lit all throughout that person's hometown in his/her memory.

         Whenever the Osir Tree itself dies, a beautiful melody can be heard, similar to that of a piano song.  This is caused by the rapid drainage of fluids from the trees roots back into the soil, which causes them to implode.  With the conclusion of the song, the Osir Tree will quickly dissolve (into either gold dust or silver dust, depending on whether it is night or day), and will fly off in the direction of the sun, healing and bringing back to life any wilted flora it touches.  Both religious folk and some scientists view this as further proof of the spiritual significance of the tree.

 

 

See Also:

 

Goldilocks Zone

Athtan

Sparen

Second War of Rancor

Jovia

Caska Seeds

The Anomalies that are Spacetime Quakes

Psychoanalytical Technologies

Spirituaanalytical Technologies

Tamashi

Elysium

Infernum

Ceremony of Sanguine Ash

Purify

Blessing

Release

Sanguine Ash

Planes of Reality

Flora.



© 2016 DoormanDan


Author's Note

DoormanDan
Hey everybody! I'm really trying something new this time. For quite a while, I've been wanting to create something more than just poetry; I've wanted to feel like I've created my own world. However, my story writing skills are subpar, and the process itself just isn't as appealing to me as it used to be. Hence why I've done this. I can get straight to the point with this while still exercising my creative muscles plenty. I seriously enjoyed writing this data log more than I've enjoyed writing anything else before this, and am very positive this project will not fade completely into the depths of procrastination and loss of interest (as MANY of my other works have done). Anyway, as usual, tell me what you think, and please be honest. Until next time! :)

Oh, and the reason why I used some more "Earthly" terminology in this is because in this Science Fiction world I'm making, Earth does exist, and is the first planet Humans live on. This would be set way into the future, when humanity has colonize planets all throughout the Cosmos (although not every journal entry will be about humans. This thing is going to get messy writing wise, as I'm no J.R.R Tolkien, so just bear with it the best you can. Hopefully I'll get better over time ).

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You have some very interesting concepts in play here. I liked the naming schemes thus far, and I think with enough prep work (read: a LOT), the ideas you have here could very well be incorporated into a high fantasy world. I truly hope you are able to see this project through to come form of completion, no matter the scale.

Posted 7 Years Ago


I admire deeply what you plan on doing here. It's all starting with a tree, I can only imagine where it will end! J.R.R Tolkien actually had some unfinished work when he died, all consisting of details of Middle Earth. So before you even brought him up in your author's note, I thought of him right away. I feel like this is the start of something new and big for you, and if you had that much fun writing it then it must mean something!

This is truly a very original idea about this tree, it sounds beautiful and yet frightening that a tree is so lively. If a tree has this kind of magic and power in your world, well, I can't wait to see what else there is. :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


DoormanDan

7 Years Ago

Yeah, Tolkien was a bit of an inspiration for this (that guy had creativity!). I'm hoping to do mor.. read more
You had me believing this was real. Valentine

Posted 7 Years Ago


DoormanDan

7 Years Ago

I see that as a good thing! I'm glad you liked this. Thanksfor reviewing :).

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

255 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 16, 2016
Last Updated on August 17, 2016


Author

DoormanDan
DoormanDan

College Burnout, DE



About
I'm a twenty one year old young man who enjoys writing poetry, songs, stories, paintball and other things. My favorite things to do are parkour, video games, listening to music, and making people hap.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..