Dreams

Dreams

A Chapter by Aldora Sparrow
"

Dreams

"

Dreams

Months continued to dance in an unending circle and, with each cycle, bring us closer together. They say that “Time heals all wounds.” For the first time, I believe this as I see the days that bring smiles easier on your lips fly by. My friend remarked that, if he had just met her, he would’ve never guessed that you had your heart broken.

Beside a bubbling river, we once sat together, warmed by the early morning sun.

In every bright morning,

The low chuckle of the unending movement of the creek was calming. Listening, I could hear the melody of the river melt with the harmony of the wind, creating the eerily beautiful song of the earth. Lying back onto the grass, the rare peacefulness in our hectic lives was very welcome and I felt my breath evening.

“What do you dream about?” you asked after a quiet moment.

“Me?” I replied, opening one eye. All sleepiness is gone as my eyes watch the open heaven above me, so far beyond my arms. “I dream about flying in the skies. I want to be a pilot. To fly the skies like birds, nothing holding you back.”

A laugh rose easily in your throat. “What?” I said crossly, thinking you were laughing at me. When you shook your head, trying to hide a smile, I said, “What about you? What do you dream about then?”

Calming down a little, you run your hands through the grass like an ivory comb through long silky hair. “I’m different. I like the earth and its waters. I dream about spending my days in nature’s hold and learning her secrets…” you blushed. When I sat up, interest conveyed through my eyes, you continued. “I want to be a teacher and teach people the secrets, intricacies, beauties of nature.”

Settling back into the grass, I wondered if it was just my imagination, but the sensation of blades was much more comfortable. “I think you’d be a good teacher,” I muttered, hoping it would just pass by unnoticed.

Unfortunately you heard. “Thank you,” you grinned, making my heart jump. “Hey, when you become a pilot, you should take me on a ride with you.”

I tugged the rim of my hat over my eyes, hoping the shadow would hide my blush. “Sure, anytime. And,” I added. Glancing up, my brown eyes met your stormy ones. In the early morning light, they took on a warmer grey like smoke. “When you become a famous teacher, you need to make me regret ever leaving the earth behind.”

You nodded, a pleased beam rivaling the rising sun. Then a silence squeezed in between and wrapped us in its cloak-like magic. I thought about our time together, in the past, in this moment, and in the future. Future? With a sinking feeling, I realized that, in a year, we’ll be going to different colleges to pursue our separate dreams. Would we still be able to laugh like this after so much time apart?

I hope that we can continue to laugh together like this.

“What are you thinking about?” you asked, breaking into my thoughts.

Your melodic voice washed away the momentary anxiety and dread. I grinned from underneath the hat rim. “I was just wishing that we can always stay together like this.”

A gentle laugh tantalized my ear. “Don’t worry,” you assured me. I felt a warm hand on top of mine. Looking up, I saw warmth in the depths of your grey eyes. “I have all our dreams prayed for.”



© 2010 Aldora Sparrow


Author's Note

Aldora Sparrow
Any suggestions?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

254 Views
Added on April 18, 2010
Last Updated on April 28, 2010


Author

Aldora Sparrow
Aldora Sparrow

About
I have been writing for longer than I can remember, but it was only during 7th grade did I start to write outside of class. I am still inexperienced and I love helpful comments. I love to write fa.. more..

Writing