Shining

Shining

A Chapter by Aldora Sparrow
"

Shine

"

Shining

As the days that we still had together changed to tangible numbers, I swiped at mischievously elusive time to come back and continue to let us stay together. Somehow, the fleeting moments seemed to pass even faster when I tried to catch it.

Only the park seemed to be unchanging, an intractable stone in the river, a haven in the rapidly morphing world. While I was enjoying the scenery, your soft footsteps were masked by the rustle of leaves in the wind. Suddenly, I felt a hand on my back and, before I could respond, you pranced away.

“Tag, you’re it!” you giggled, making a little twirl in your graceful stride.

“H-hey, that’s not fair!” I yelled and I chased after you. After so long, I forgot how evasive you were. Every time my fingers were close to even grazing your long hair, a burst of energy and you would slip from my grasp.

Finally, I caught you. But, in the rush of the run, I dragged you and I down, falling among the blooming flowers. “And…how old…are we turning…this year?” I gasped.

Your laugh weaved melodically through the blades of grass. “Eighteen…I think.”

I whistled a little. “Wow, seven years.” I breathed deeply, feeling my body relax. “It really doesn’t seem that long.”

Rustles of grass and flowers told me that you nodded in agreement. We continued to lie there, feeling the sun on our faces and, slowly, our breaths smoothed over.

“Hey,” you said, after a while.  

I glanced over attentively. “Hmm?”

“I heard that Kristen confessed to you today.” Though your tone was light, I could detect some deeper emotion beneath the forced smile in your voice. “Good for you. She’s definitely the prettiest in our school. Remember when Bryan asked her…” you suddenly stopped. For a moment, I turned my attention to the sky where sluggish clouds crawled unhurriedly across.

You tried again. “You’ll be shining beside her…” your voice faded out when you sensed my dark eyes on you. With a heartbeat’s hesitation, your eyes meet mine. Even through the forest of grass, your eyes sparkled in the gleaming light.

Like those bright smiling flowers and those stars that are shining beautifully.

And I said, so quietly that only you could hear, “I’ll shine only for you.

Your dark gray eyes gazed into briefly mine for a heartbeat before turning towards the sky, but not before I detected a pleased smile on your gentle features.

 



© 2010 Aldora Sparrow


Author's Note

Aldora Sparrow
Any suggestions?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

215 Views
Added on April 18, 2010
Last Updated on April 28, 2010


Author

Aldora Sparrow
Aldora Sparrow

About
I have been writing for longer than I can remember, but it was only during 7th grade did I start to write outside of class. I am still inexperienced and I love helpful comments. I love to write fa.. more..

Writing