Sunset

Sunset

A Chapter by Aldora Sparrow
"

Dream

"

Sunset

Two summers passed after our first meeting, drawing us closer and closer. Your presence was a source of comfort and every moment with you was precious. Soon, I found myself wising that you’d feel the same way about me. But I was not the special one in your heart.

That day when you became someone else’s “one and only,” my heart that beat so powerfully when I was with you twisted, ached so painfully. Somehow, I managed a “congrats” before turning away to hide the pain that I knew was etched onto my face.

It was difficult to sleep that night. Images of you with a faceless man haunted my thoughts. Even when I fell in a tired sleep, my yearning mind traveled to you through a vivid dream.

In my dream, I was walking down an empty street. Murmurs of faceless people passing by were just whispers that swept past my ears. The dying orb of once-glorious fire was slowly falling from the sky, spraying over the blue with streaks of red and gold.

As the sun set,

I could almost feel the night wind rippling my hair. Each footstep was slow and silent but purposeful. Every step was a step closer to you. All around me, as the night fell, faint gold lights sprung to life around me. At first, they flicked, threaten to be extinguished, then strengthened and set a strong. They seem to light a way towards you. My footsteps sped up until I was running, following the path that the little orbs of light created.

By following the lights that turn on one by one, I’m going towards you.

Finally, I stopped, breath short. It was the park where we first met, only now it was dark from the falling shadows. But it was still deeply familiar and quiet. I recognized the towering tree off the side. It was the only I fell out of years ago. Remembering the good times brought a smile to my lips.

Suddenly some shuffling caught my attention. In a slowness that could only happen in dreams, I found two figures in light of a streetlight. I knew that shorter figure, I would know it anywhere. That raven-haired figure that made my heart jump every time I came near.

But, that other shape, the taller one with arms wrapped around you, I didn’t know. What I did know was that I was not me. Shouldn’t I be the one to hold you that close? Why could fate let me taste this sweet fruit then steal it from my grasp? Tears stung my eyes with a surprising amount of reality. They obscured my vision and, right before the entire image faded, I was sure you looked up.

Then I woke up. Sitting up on bed, I found tears still raining down my face like an unstoppable storm that would not be stopped until it was dry. Wasn’t it a dream? But if these tears were real, then was the whole thing a reality as well? My mind and entire being knew that it wasn’t a dream. You belonged to someone and that someone was not me. And yet my heart still longed for you.

If only it was all just a dream that, in a few minutes, I will wake from…

If only you knew…

If only…



© 2010 Aldora Sparrow


Author's Note

Aldora Sparrow
Any suggestions?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is very sad and, in my life, utterly relatable:(

Posted 12 Years Ago


some typos and spelling /grammar mistakes...I really love the bitter sweet emotion ..felt so real that the tears flowed..".I found tears still raining down my face like an unstoppable storm that would not be stopped until it was dry. Wasn’t it a dream? But if these tears were real, then was the whole thing a reality as well? My mind and entire being knew that it wasn’t a dream. You belonged to someone and that someone was not me. And yet my heart still longed for you."love the play of dream emotion /masked but raw logic..couldnt it be just a dream

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

244 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 18, 2010
Last Updated on April 28, 2010


Author

Aldora Sparrow
Aldora Sparrow

About
I have been writing for longer than I can remember, but it was only during 7th grade did I start to write outside of class. I am still inexperienced and I love helpful comments. I love to write fa.. more..

Writing