Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A Chapter by darkkid1000
"

Demon Attack

"
Eric bolted up right in his bed. "Where am I!" he panted heavily, whispering to himself. Looking around he reconized the room he was in was that of the inn. He then noticed a weight on the covers pinning down the covers on the side the door was on to leg. He also noticed something soft his his hand. He looked to investigate and felt heat rise to his face as his blood rushed to the surface of his cheeks causing him to blush. He saw Mariah with her head on the side of the bed her arms in his lap one of which was holding his. "What is the meaning of..." Memories of the attack flashed through his head, Mariah showing up and fighting them off. Then the memory of her holding him close to her crying over him caused him to blush even more. "I need to figure out who chef is... and organize an attack... how long have I been out" he whispered then noticed the pounding in his head and his empty stomach. "First thing's first." He murmured
Eric softly slid his hand out of hers then carefully not to disturb her moved his legs so as to not wake her. He then got out of the bed and started walking out the bedroom door. Looking back one last time at Mariah drapped over his bed he couldn't help but smile "Your stronger then I thought princess." He side then quietly closed the door and quietly went down the stairs.
Reaching the bottom of the stairs Eric saw a couple people dirnking in the lobby. "Did I miss everything?" he asked himself through his mind. He waved the waitress over as he sat at the table he first sat at. Once she made her way over to him she smiled at him. "Hey your awake. When they brought you in it looked like you were going to die at any moment! I'm surprised your on your feet so fast, what happened to all the holes in your body?" 
Eric smiled "I'm just a really fast healer. Do you know anybody that goes by the name Chef?" The waitress seemed as if she thought for a few moments then shook her head. Eric sighed more of relief then anything. "Ok then can you get me something... anything to eat I'm starved. Oh! and, how long have I been under?"
The waitress smiled at his request "sure thing hun, and you've been out for two days almost exactly. Mariah and a bunch of guards brought you in about this time two days ago and  off to your room. When they came back down they said that you guys were attacked by the Tainted, and you guys are the only survivors, If you survived it would be the two of you. Guess you got really lucky. You should be thanking the gods, for your good fortune." She blew a kiss at him before walking into the back room
Eric felt himself blush once again then laid his head on the table and scanned the people in the bar. Something seemed diffrent, He could tell by how dim the room was that it was after dark, but normally people wouldn't be in here at this hour with the attacks roaming around. He then realized that they were all guards. The waitress brought some food out of the kitchen and placed it infront of him. "Hey, Why are there so many guards in here this hour of the night?" he asked quietly just before he put a peice of food in his mouth.
"Well, Ever since they brought you in the attacks have stopped, and the guards have people in diffrent places through the town to enjusre it stays that way for a few days." She said looking at the men who were drinking mead from their cups, talking and laughing with each other. "Its a good thing they decided to use this place as a look out point, brings a little extra sniocs in."
"That is good, makes my job a little easier. Have you seen any demon hunters in town. Rumors have been saying that they weren't allowed in, even with the tainted attacking the people in town."
"The waitress shook her head, and there isn't any information on any entering either. It's all so suspicious."
"That is because word on the underside of the streets say that the mayor is a tainted, and that they are comming in through a fountain in the back of his mansion. I have a plan but it has to be executed by nightfall tomorrow. speaking of which please do me a favor tomorrow. I don't want you hurt so if you could close up and leave the town tomorrow before sundown till the next morning sunrise. You can leave a window or something open so if we are successful we can get in and sleep."
The waitress looked at him strangely "If it's that bad I will."
A smile crawled across Eric's face "good that's at least one person who will be safe to tell the story of this town." The waitress nodded then walked towards one of the guards. Eric continued eating then noticed movement slowly stepping down the stares.
"There you are!" Mariah said groggily as she bent over to look into the room below her. she stood up and continued walking dow the stairs. She had just woken up a lone in Eric's room. Panic rushed through her body as she looked around the room to realize he was no where in the room. She figured he would be hungry so she wanted to investigate before she really started to panic. 
Eric smiled "I am here. You look like you should be going back to sleep." He pointed out as she sat across from him.
"Oh shut it." She yawned and streatched "I've been planning a counter attack on the Tainted that attacked you."
"Well we need to do it tomorrow before night fall." Eric interjected with a bit of food in his cheek.
"Why?" A look of confuseion and curiosity crossed her face. This look gave way to concern as her heart started to pulse a touch faster.
"Well I have it from directly from the source that they will summon demons to devestate and take over this town tomorrow during the full moon. I can assume they are starting as soon as it grows dark. That is why there has been no attacks its the silence before the storm that they are brewing."
Mariah stood up "I have to tell the guards and figure a way to get the demon hunters in!"
Eric stood his plate having just been finished. After swallowing the last bit of food in his mouth he looked her in the eyes "You get sleep Mariah I can tell you've been running yourself ragged just by how tired you look." 
"No I have to..." Mariah got cut off by Eric leaning forward and putting a finger on her lips 
"You've done well. We wont go in with out you. Get some sleep you will be useless to us with you being a zombie." Mariah blushed slighlty and nodded to agree then backed away and slapped his hand 
"your still not allowed to touch me all willy nilly or call me princess... You hear me? I am however glad your still a live" she smiled softly
"It's good to be alive Princess." Eric grinned as Mariah grabbed the plate he had just emptied and smashed it over his head 
"Oh! Your so infuriating!" Anger was clear on her face however, it seemed to show a hint of grattitude that Eric couldn't place what it was for but he knew it was there. Mariah turned with a "Hmph!" and stormed back upstairs to which Eric assumed was going to be her room. Eric then turned and walked over to the guard with the highest rank amongst the others in the room. He could tell by the four stars embedded in his right shoulder. He didn't know this kingdom's rank structure and names to well, but he knew from his many run-ins with the law that the more stars the armor had the higher in the ranks the guard was. He had seem some other designs however he wasn't sure where they were in the rank structure. 
"Well, well if the dead hasn't rejuvinated and walks among us again boys!" The man said as Eric sat at his table
"Captain. The people who attacked me told me things that we need to act on fast. We don't have as much time as I would like to prepare, but we need to attack them before they can succeed in their ritual. They are planning to summon demons to take over this town and kill all the people who refuse to convert."
All the men around him except for the captain started laughing and talking to each other on how that was impossible, how there was no way they had a summoning circle big enough to cover the town and if they did that the guards would of noticed. Eric and the captain stared into each other's eyes. This was a technique advanced and trained guardsman used to tell many things about the person they were staring at. Eric had a couple things to hide like his true identity and that of Mariah's but at this point the need to stop the ritual was greate. "They say one's eyes is a gateway to the soul, and if your skilled enough you can learn a person's secrets, that person's past, and their present thoughts. To include the lies they are hiding from other's. I see that your past was long and hard, I've seen your rise and fall, I see who you really are, as well as the girl who you are currently accompaning. For now I will turn a blind eye to that because of the situation we are in. I also see your plan and know that I am two steps a head on getting a couple demon hunter's in. I've already spoken to the guard's commander and I have been here undercover for a couple years. The demon hunters outside the gates arrived after I did so as far as they know my spot here in the guard is legit." Eric had to admit this guy was good. He knew he could tell he was telling the truth the moment they locked eyes when Eric sat at the table, before he even spoke. He didn't expect however how good he was and Eric was surprised. "Don't worry till all is said and done your secrets are safe with me and I know your telling the truth about the ritual."
Eric smiled "Your good. Didn't expect you to actually read my mind and have at least the basics of the technique down being captain and all. I didn't expect you to have it so developed as to actually read my mind..." Eric paused then decided since all his cards was exposed to the captain of the guard infront of him he figured wouldn't hurt anything "... Mikado." he put emphasis on each syllable of the guard's name to show he was at least on the same level as him "I also know what you are talking about to the exact detail so you don't feel the need to expose yourself just yet." Eric smiled the same smirk at the same time as the captain sitting infront of him.
"You apparently have the better training, All I know is you had a great rising in your past that was your happiest times, then a tramatic fall landing you on the wanted posters then the start of your journey becomes hazey but I can see that. You obviously can go at least a few years" 
"Oh my good sir I can go further then that. Like the secret you hold and want to take to your grave back when you were Eight, You know that time when you saw your training instructor..." The captain launched across the table his face bright red as he forcefully slapped his hand over Eric's mouth to stop the exposure of his secret. 
"Ok, Ok you made your point, you know more about me then I would like you to know, It's always a dangerous game to play when you use the technique because if the person who your using it on knows this technique and can do it to then your just as exposed as you are. The amount they see depends on their experience. So where did you learn this technique?"
Eric smiled "I was once a royal guard. Infact you looked up to my group, I was the leader of the Elite Guardian Force, I wasn't your favorite but I was up there. Sadly as far as I know I'm the sole survivor." The other guards laughter had quieted down as the two talked, and now they gasped as Eric said this. The captain smiled and nodded.
"Alright I like your plan I will spread the word and get the other demon hunters in the gates they will be breaking the Mayor's contract, however The mayor himself is one of these tainted so as far as we are concerned especially now that it's time to attack we will break this contract with the Tainted with great happiness. We will kill them all!"
All the guards cheered at the last proclimation the captain made raising their mugs of mead in the air with some sloshing out of the mugs. Eric smiled he had to admit he enjoyed the enthusiasim and this moment brought him back to the days when he was a Guardian Force member. He longed for the days to return that he could be a part of Guradian Force, but knew that the days were long past now. "Okay, so here are the plan's for all who don't know right now..." Eric then started explaining everything he knew and what his plans were on infultrating and what he assumes they did for the summoning circle around the town. "... If we don't succeed in stopping this ritual then the entire town will be devoured by demon's the survivors will either be eaten or used as breeders to further weaken the seal and bring darkness to the world, only way for them to escape that fate at that point would be to be converted and become a Tainted." Eric ended "Get some rest because tomorrow night we need you guys at the top of your game."
"You heard him!" Mikado shouted after a couple seconds of looking at the other guards murmur with each other on Eric's order for them to get rest. "As a demon hunter I use the Demon Hunter's decree of Marshall Law. Being a Demon Hunter of the highest rank In or around this town I will assume the control of the guard for this town and Assume the power of the Mayor until a new one is appointed by the magistrate of the kingdom. Now get some sleep men tomorrow will be a long big day!" The men cheered before they dispersed going into the Inn's rooms that they had paid for earlier leaving Just Mikado and Eric downstairs. Mikado stared at Eric. "What are you planning on doing after all this is over? Eric, Or should I say Chuck Lee."
Eric chuckled a little  "Well Mikado If you didn't already figured it out by using Soul Search then I shouldn't tell ya, Because now that you know who I am. After all this is done and over with the princess and I need to leave and continue our quest. If you've read enough to know about the princess then I'm sure you know the quest and who supplied it that the two of us is on. We can't be caught and return to our normal lives till this is over."
Mikado nodded "Indeed, however don't you think you will need help around the other guards. With me tagging along after my services here I can help with that."
Eric shook his head "Help us to behind bars and her to the king and queen who will surely bind her to the castle. I rather not take the risk. If we meet up again after this then depending on your actions between now and then maybe and only maybe I will agree to it."
Mikado smiled "Your instincts as captain of the Guardian Force serves you well. Very well then, I will show you I understand your quest to reseal the Demonking is more important then you servering your time as a Demon Hunter. The day after tomorrow I will have all the guards removed from the northgate till noon. No matter what happens in this attack you have my word as a fellow guard of the old kingdom and as some one sees you as one of his hero's and refuses to believe you are some common theif ever since I saw the first poster, I will let you let you go this once. Demon Hunter's Oath I swear on my blood."
"Thats a really big swear." Eric interjected with a whistle "Okay then I accept. No matter what happens you will remove the guards during the morning from the north gate so Mariah, and I can make our escape to continue our quest." Eric extended his hand.  Mikado shook it. "I'm going to get some more rest, you should to. As you said to your men, It's going to be a long day tomorrow." Eric stood and walked towards the stairs. Once halfway he stopped and looked over his shoulders. "Hey Mikado, Don't get yourself killed tomorrow I'm going to need you to follow through with your promise. I know the consequences of you breaking your blood oath. I don't want to be blamed for that ontop of my thievery." He then waved two fingers back to Mikado and continued up the stairs to his room where he laid down on his bed after closing the door.
His gunblade laid beside him. "At least they remembered it." he said quietly to himself as he sat up. He pulled the gunblade out of its sheath and examined the blade. "as sharp as ever with no damage to it. This really was finely made. I hope the rumors are true that the man is still a live and has an apprentice in which he is teaching how to build and repair these. I would be screwed if his techniques weren't passed on." He resheathed his sword and laid it beside him again laying backdown on the bed. His eyes closed as darkness consumed his world once again. Calming his mind to drift off to sleep he remembered following his orders that the Princess had given him to secretly escort the royal blacksmith out of the kingdom before it was attacked, Upon returning having left the man at the kingdom's border with a healthy supply of food and animals to get him to a safe place and settle down. He returned to the castle a blaze. Bursting into the princess' room he found her nude with her legs apart and throat cut. He remembered the rage that consumed him then as the evidence of the princess he was suppose to protect being raped and killed on the bed moment before his return being that the battle was still going on when he returned before him. His memories went blank.

***************************************

Eric walked into the Inn he had been spending the entirity of the day since he woke up a couple hours after he dozed off till just that point in time preparing for the attack that night. The waitress was cleaning up and walked up to him "Hey, So I heard your big plan was going down tonight. I'm going to be leaving soon. Samantha hasn't come down yet I think she is still sleeping. I'm having Tony, you know the guy who gave you the keys, cook her up her usual. If you want to wake her up now would be the time before we leave so the food doesn't get cold."
He nodded "I'll be back" He said before starting up the stairs. He walked to the door that was Mariah's and joggled the door handle a bit to find it unlocked. Eric cracked the door open enough to poke his head in and knocked clearing his throat as he stuck his head in. He saw Mariah sleeping soundly in the bed "Mariah!" he called out but to no avail she continued sleeping. Eric sighed and stepped back pulling his head out of the room and closing the door. He went back downstairs and to the waitress. "I need a bucket of ice water."
"She won't wake up?" Eric shook his head. the Waitress sighed "Very well but it is your funeral." she said dissapearing in the back room for a couple minutes. She returned with the bucket and set it on the counter with a loud thud. "Ice water order up!" she said, "just remember I have no part in this."
Eric waved his hand infront of his face "ya, ya I think she would be more focused on killing me then any accomplises anyway. Eric gripped the handle of the bucket and pulled it off the counter. The moment it cleared the counter the weight kicked in and the bucket dropped to Eric's side "Phew its heavy!" Eric said with a wicked smile.
"I'll set aside dry sheets and pillow."
"Just incase she needs it probably wouldn't be a bad idea."
"I'm leaving the key to get lock the doors at the counter's desk, please don't forget to lock up on your way out to the fight." 
Eric nodded "Got it." He said as he started his ascension up the stairs with the bucket of ice water. Upon getting to Mariah's room he took in a deep breath. "Here goes my death wish." he joked to himself before opening the door and walking in. He lifted the bucket up to the base of his neck and grabbed the bottom of it with his free hand. "Wake up Princess!" Eric yelled as he tilted and jerked the bucket forward. The ice and water flew out of the bucket and covered Mariah, the bedding she was in and everything around her.
Mariah jolted upright her mouth open from shock her eyes wide open the sudden freezing wet sensation covering "What the hell!" She screamed before her eyes fell on Eric holding the bucket still. "You! I'm going to kill you!" an Ice shard formed over her head and flew at Eric. The elegant crystal of ice shattered as a wall of fire appeared infront of him then dissapeared just as quickly. Eric was to busy laughing to explain himself. Mariah got to her feet and jumped off the bed flying across the room fist clenched and an ice gauntlet forming over her clenched fist. The gauntlet had an elegant pattern engraved in it, created naturally by her up bringing and training. She brought her fist down ontop of Eric's head as he was bent over laughing. The ice instantly shattered on the inpact flying in all direction. The force sent Eric's face first into the ground with a lound bang that could heard through the entire building.
Eric had dropped the bucket from the force pushing him into the ground. Mariah stood over him panting in anger like a bear ready to maul its prey gruesomely. Eric slowly moved his hands up under his shoulders then lifted himself up. Laughter after the hit allowing him to think and talk again. "I deserved that." Eric said moving his feet under his torso so he could stand "Alright then let's get you out of those wet close!" he said with a smile.
The waitress and Tony the inn keeper and chef looked at each other downstairs in the kitchen as a loud slap echoed through the kitchen. The looks on their face's were that of confusion and asking each other the same question "what the hell was that?" Eric's cheek was bright red his head had just about been slapped off his head and was turned to the side while he regathered his thoughts. Mariah upon hearing him say his last line had blushed a deep red her body reacting naturally by covering her breast and bringing her hand up as hard as she could to smack Eric across the face. 
"Pervert!" Mariah finally screamed breaking the silence that followed the smack Eric rose his hands as he slowly turned his face to look back at Mariah.
"I deserved that to." Eric said quietly "let me dry your clothes out for you. would you prefer to be wearing them or take them off..." Mariah rose her hand again "...With me in the hallway!" Eric quickly and frantically added His speech before hand sounded more submissive like a child who had just been punished. "The choice is yours Princess." The moment the nickname came out of his mouth, he wanted to take it back. He knew that second wasn't the time to say it but it was to late. Another smack resignated through the building. It wasn't as loud as the first but still loud enough for everybody to hear.
"I told you not to call me Princess! Especially when I'm really pissed off at you!" Mariah screamed at him. 
Eric couldn't help but smile "So, What will it be?" He asked, turning his head to face Mariah again.
"Just do it while I'm wearing the clothes, only the gods knows what you would do with my underwear after I gave it to you right now."
Eric nodded "Fairly well then." He said and closed his eyes focusing on not hurting mariah but the flames from the gem in his had reaching out and carressing her clothing tracing her entire body not burning or hurting her, but evaporating the water in which was clinging to her clothing. After a couple moments he opened his eyes. Mariah stood infront of him completely dry. "If your bedding is still wet when we get back I'll do it to that as well. The reason why I wanted to wake you was because you should eat before we start. That way your food is settled and you have your strength."  
"That was one hell of a f*****g wake up call!" Mariah shouted. Anger was still raging through her. She was glad to see him up to his old personality that she had seen in the short time together but to treat a princess like that and the rude awakening. On top of the perverted comments was to much. 
"Yeah, Well use that anger towards the enemy." He said quietly "So everything is set up tonights assault."
"Wait tonight?" a look of confusion and concern crossed her face
"Yes if we don't do it tonight the whole town will be  flooded with demons."
Mariah nodded "Okay, are you sure you're up for this? I mean you were injured just a couple days ago." 
Eric nodded "The fire gem heals me and apparently repairs my clothing as well" Eric tugged on his shirt which looked as if nothing happened to it. "Otherwise I would probably be out cold still if not in worse condition then I was in... Probably getting ready to dance with death or at the very least knock on death's door."
Mariah shook her head "Idiot, All elemental gems will heal their bearer's body in their own special way. However, When an Elemental is defeated by another Elemental the gem will dislodge itself for the victor to have a chance to claim it. If the victor refuses to claim the gem then it will reseed itself and can only be removed if it is cut out, or the user wills it. The gem will also repair the clothing as a special feature from the gods to prevent the bearer to be exposed in such away that would curropt the person's soul."
"I see, I see" Eric said nodding "I need to pick your brain a bit more about these things since you seem to know  a lot."
"What do you expect my family forced it to be part of the royal studies and said that the gem I have will be a symbol of the power I have and if anybody questions it I can punish them with it, But not to use it on people who don't deserve it."
Eric nodded "then after this you will have to teach me Prin... Mariah" Eric caught himself this time, It wasn't the time to joke around too much especially with her still being in a foul mood "Well Mariah, Lets get you your food"
Mariah nodded "I am a little hungry." She said following Eric out of the bedroom and down the stairs. Once down the stairs they sat at their normal table and wait for the waitress to come out.
The waitress already had food for the two in her hands Eric held up three fingers "Three more of these for me please." Eric ordered with a big smile from ear to ear.
"Sure thing, I see what the source of that loud sound we heard earlier." The waitress said noticing Eric's cheek with a red hand print on it "I was about to ask but I see there is no need to now." She giggled.
"Yeah, Oh and the bucket is still in her room." Eric responded rubbing his cheek now that his attention was brought back to it it still stung really bad.
"It's fine You guys can leave it there I'll grab it cleaning up when you guys leave." The waitress said with a smile "I'll be back with your food."
The waitress left and Eric sat there in silence as he ate his food "So we are meeting the guards and demon hunters in the back of the Mayor's mansion" He finally said  after swallowing a bit of food.
"Why there isn't he the one who hired us?" Mariah asked a brief look of confusion crossing her face
"He did so this means were not getting paid anymore but he is the mastermind behind all the attacks and a ritual to summon demon's to this town."
"D..Demons?"Mariah was shocked and horrified as her memories of the dream she had a few nights ago flashed in front of her mind's eye. "We have to stop them!" 
Eric nodded "They are doing the ritual tonight. so eat up then by the time we get there it will be time and your food will be digested."
Mariah nodded "What changed Eric... judging by the way you were acting when we first got here you would be like...'Stay here princess it isn't safe for you to come along blah blah blah'" as she mocked eric she depened her force as much as she could even though it was still off and his voice wasn't deep, puffed up her chest and rolled her shoulders back  puckering her lips to talk
Eric smiled holding back his laughter "And you would be like..." he softly tapped the top of Mariah's head and in as high a pitch he could make his voice go he brought both arms to infront of him in an attempt to make him look more feminine. "How many times do i have to tell you not to call me that! Teehee hee hee!"
The two of them looked at eachother and started laughing. "Seriously, Whats changed oh fearful demon."
Eric shrugged "You going crazy on the Tainted the night I was attacked... I saw something that reminded me several years ago during the kingdom take over. Princess... I want to refine your fighting, your royal training has tought you well and great basics, I want to take it to the next level and make people fear you in battle as the deamoness princess."
Mariah blushed a little "You know that mean's I'll have to follow you"
Eric waved his hand infront of his face "ya ya, I mind as well accept my punishment for breaking the fire god's statue."
Mariah slammed her hands down down on the table as fists, making the plates and silverware jump "Whats that suppose to mean!" she screamed.
"It means even though your a pain in my a*s I would rather deal with you and train you to fight better then be tortured by the gods for breaking the statue that the fire elemental gem was in. So calm yourself because you will have to deal with me as well as punishment from the gods for running away and making your parents worry about you."
The kitchen door was kicked open as the Waitress came out with one plate on her forearm and two in each hand "That will be all?" She asked with a smile which soon faded "I'll just slide back in the kitchen I didn't mean to interrupt anything."
The waitress quickly hurried back into the kitchen. Mariah forcefully sat back down in her chair and folded her arms. "If you think for a moment I'm going to call you master again you mind as well not survive tonight's attack."
Eric smiled "Don't worry that was just so we could get into this town, and I never expected you to fully commit like that. All though i do have to say you played your part really well back then."
Mariah rolled her eyes "ya well as a princess I'm suppose to have many talents so all can look up to me... at least thats what my parents want drilled into my head."
Eric snickered "Just be yourself, That is all I can ask of anyone. Just be yourself and try. Now if you excuse me I need to eat this really fast so were not late." Eric clapped his hands and rubbed them together "Inhalation technique activate" he said then started eating his food the same way he ate his food the first night they got in.
Mariah had watched him for several minutes as he devoured his food like an animal. After he finished she rean up to her room to recover her equipment. Luckly for Eric they weren't wet otherwise he would be back to having one foot in the grave. Amongst her preparations she had replaced all the arrows she used as well retreived as many as she could from the fight scene the next morning after she had done everything she could do to set Eric up. The guards who were guarding the scene so no passerby could disturbed it allowed her in to retrieve the arrows being that they were a couple of the guards that had came to her screams of agony, sorrow and pain. She thought about that night for a moment after she picked up her quiver. Thinking how she never had felt that pain towards anyone before. She rationalized it however, as being regret for what she had said to him earlier that day. "but then why did I go so crazy when I saw him being attacked and pinned against the wall?" she asked herself. Her thoughts were interuppted by the knocking on her door from an Eric who was eagerly awaiting to go to the Mayor's Mansion. That would bring us to now. Mariah stood beside one of the walls behind the mansion. Eric had vanished over the top of the stone wall that surrounded the property. He had already been gone for a little. Mariah Leaned against the wall with her arms folded. she had pulled the hood over her head while she waited and tapped on her right arm with her fingers "what's taking so long?" She asked out loud before sighing.
Eric was inside the property he was surveying from the bushes all the movement inside the house. Today seemed a rather busy day in the homestead. Then he saw something that took him all he had to retrain himself from charging in to early. There was a loud glass shatter as a girl was thrown out of windo onto the back patio. She had a steel collar around her neck attatched to chains that  went to cuffs that was around her wrists and down to cuffs around her feet. "I refuse to be one of you!" she screamed in defiance as she struggled to squirm to a sitting position so she could lift herself up and attempt to run. Before she could sit up however, The mayor stepped through the broken window "Masumi! You've dishonored your mother and Myself. You were born as one of us and our blood courses through your veins like it or not! Now I'm taking you down to a prison cell in which you will wait till the demons come and demand their sacrifice!" The mayor picked the girl he called Masumi up by her black hair lifting her to her feet before grabbing her shackled wrists. Eric examined the girl she had to of been close to sixteen or seventeen, she had long black hair that were in ponytails, Her eyes from what he saw were purple. she had a petite frame however Puberty had treated her well giving her a decent figure that any man would go crazy for.
"So your going to do to me what you did to Big brother!" she screamed as she fought to pull against the Mayors forceful pulls towards the water fountain. "You should know father I'm going to fight you every step of the way!"
"Shut up!" The mayor yelled spinning to backhand Masumi. As his hand flew through the air Eric saw a purple aura comming off of it and the mayors eyes glow red. Masumi fell to the ground sobbing. The mayor then with a growl and glowing eyes picked her up. Slinging her over one of his shoulders he walked to the fountain and spoke "Darkness key unlock!" he shouted to the fountain. The water that was spraying out of the top turned purple same with the rest of it as a quarter of the fountain; the part closest to the mayor, started moving opening a hidden door. The mayor walked down a set of stairs that made him dissapear into the fountain. After a couple minutes the fountain closed sealing the entry way as the water turned to normal as if nothing had happened. Eric sat there for a couple minutes repeating the phrase the mayor had uttered to open the fountain to remember it long enough to get to Mariah and the guards that should be meeting up with her to include Mikado.
#######################
Mariah was about to climb over the wall when she heard a familiar voice "Hey Samantha!" She looked up to see the captain of the guard who had came to her screams over Eric a few nights ago comming up to her with a large number of guards behind him a couple of them she remembered from when they entered the gate. "rumors said that demon hunters weren't allowed in town by the Mayor. That is terms for dishonorable discharge and imprisonment by my... the royal family."
Mikado shook his head "Well m'lady Samantha..." Mikado winked indicating to Mariah he knew more then what he was letting on " As the Demon Hunter of highest rank in this city and having been here for undercover the longest I am forced to declare the Demon Hunters Decree of Marchal Law for the betterment of the people in this town. I am now incharge of the Guards and have all of the Mayor's powers untill a new one can be appointed by the Magistrate. In anycase I'm nullifying the Mayor's contract with the two of you and the demon hunters. I'm sure Eri...rrr Chuck already told you that you weren't being paid other than the free boarding and food. Sadly that is the truth, but knowing this he wishes to continue and fight for the people. You still have the option to back out."
Mariah glared at Mikado allowing Mikado to stare directly into her eyes "I'm not leaving him just like that. He has something of mine I'm going to reclaim from him if it's the last thing I do!"
Mikado smiled and was obviously holding back laughter from using the soul search technique and learning things even Mariah didn't acknowledge herself "If you say so Princess."
Mariah  growled and lept forward screaming "Don't ever call me that!" she brought a fist down on the top of Mikado's head who collapsed under the force. 
Mikado laid there trying to regather his thoughts after having them scrambled from the hit. The guards behind him grabbed their sword's hilts a couple unsheathing their swords. Mikado stood up holding a hand behind him telling them to stop and calm down. "I asked for it men." They looked at eachother then put their swords up "So where is the mastermind of this plan anyway."
Mariah pointed to the wall "Over there." she said  "He said he was going to scope out the area and that he would be back in five minutes about thirty or so minutes ago, so I was about to go and make sure everything was ok."
The moment Mariah finished speaking Eric's head appeared over the top of the wall "Hey the coast is clear but first I want Mariah and Mikado first so we can discuss plans... Mikado not much has changed but there is one thing that just got added onto the list of things we need to do." His head then dissapeared from sight with a thud on the other side of the wall as he landed on the ground again.
Mikado and Mariah looked at each other. Mariah was more of a glare saying "were not finished yet." Mikado just simply smiled and moved his hands in a gesture saying "Ladies first." He then bowed to mokingly call her "Princess" with out saying a word. Mariah growled at this and lightly punched him on the back of the head as she walked by. This was considerably less forceful but it did cause his bow to go deeper and a smile on his face appear. "Jerk" Mariah said under her breath as she passed after the hit
"Eric was right, It is fun calling you princess if you can take a hit." He said kneeling before her positioning himself to help lift her up
"Then I'll kill both of you after this." She said with her words cold as ice. She turned away from Mikado who reached out his hands as a foot hold for her to boost her up. Mariah then jumped in one jump onto the the wall, she landed softly with great elegance facing the group of guards and smiled seeing their facial expressions especially Mikado's it was all she could do not to laugh at them. She gave a wave and jumped off landing gently and elegantly on the other side, with out making a sound.
"Tch show off." Mikado said standing up. The guards behind him were frozen with shock at Mariah's strength and Elegance as she jumped ontop of this tall wall with such ease. Something they never thought a woman to be able to do much less doubted they could do it themselves. "I won't be shown up by a girl petite girl like that!" He called out then Motivated not to be shown up even though he had doubts he could do it himself he cleared his throat and streatched his legs a bit "Got to make sure my legs are nice and limber and streatched out." He said stalling as he worked up his own courage to jump.
"Hurry up we dont got all day Mikado!" Eric called from the other side of the wall.
Mikado straightened himself up "I'm comming, I'm comming! Don't rush me!" MIkado bent his knees and gave a couple of light small jumps as if he was testing his legs. "here goes nothing... Gods don't make me look like a fool please." He prayed quietly to himself so nobody else could here He then looked over his shoulder and gave a thumbs up to the men behind him with a grin He then let out a yell as he lept up and forward with the intention of clearing the wall with out touching it. The yell that he muttered was one that you would hear in a gym when the guy is really focused and when you look at him you assume that he is lifting way to much for his own good.
Time slowed down for Mikado as he watched the wall go up  past him clearing his vision "I got this!" He thought to himself then all hell broke lose for him in that moment. He felt his foot catch the lip of the wall as he was moving forward through the air "Oh s**t! No no stop recover!" He told his second leg that he had bent to extend and step ontop of the wall but it wouldn't listen. Time quickly sped up as his momentum, his other leg, and physics betrayed him. His momentum kept him moving forward while his foot stayed lodged on the lip of the wall causing him to lean forward. His leg then decided to move and came down in a feeble attempt to land. His foot landed on the lip just above his trapped foot. However, it didn't have good grip so it slipped right off. Once Mikado was beyond the point of no return his foot slipped free of it's trap and he ended up landing on the top of the wall with his upper torso to far on the other side. Physics continued as his legs flew up over his head causing him to do a flip in the air as he fell on the other side. He landed on his back with a loud thud that could be heard by everybody on the otherside. He let out a loud grown as air rushed out of his lungs like a crowded theater attempting to rush out of the only exit when there was a fire. Laughter could be heard from the otherside of the wall signifying to Mikado that everybody had seen his failure. He then heard Mariah giggling trying to hold back her laughter.
As Mikado struggled to regain his breath Eric appeared in his line of site with a big smile on his face and a hand extended. "Wasn't pretty but way to keep your guys relaxed in serious times. It's ok to sacrifice some of your pride to make your men smile in stressful and tense times. As long as you laugh with them and keep their hearts light they will follow you into the depths of hell and back several times over for the stupidest of reasons just to show you their support and loyalty for you."
Mikado's anger vanished as one of his hero's spoke to him. He reached up and grabbed his forearm. Eric gripped Mikado's forarm and pulled him to his feet with a smile and a pat on the back. "OK then What was it that you were adding to the plan?" He asked after catching his breath.
Eric sighed glancing at the fountain that could easily be visible from where they were, however they were some what in the open which is why Eric had to do some sneaking around to find a hiding spot to investigate the area. "The mayor has a girl about sixteen or seventeen of age bound up and said that she was going to be the sacrifice for tonight's ritual. So while you and your men Move to disrupt the ritual I'll go and free the girl. "Mariah you are the wild card with emphasis on the wild. So you choose who your going with, Me or the rest of the guards.
Mariah smiled at Mikado "I don't think Mikado wan'ts me to show him up anymore then I've already done so I'll go with you."
Eric nodded "You okay with this Mikado?" he asked looking from Mariah to him
Mikado nodded "Princess is right, If she tags..." He was temporarily interupted by Mariah's fist to the top of his head. He then continued rubbing the top of his head "... Along she will embaress me even more and there is only so much embarassment I can take. So leave majority of the work in disrupting the ritual to us."
Eric nodded again "Good now remember Mikado destroy the points where the star connects to the outside, before working your way to the center..."
Mikado interupted "It weakens the summoning power and buys you time to take out the center where the actual ritual is being done. It's Demon Hunter One-Oh-One I know Eric"
Eric smiled "Good, then after Mariah and I save the girl we will meet up in the center to assist with stopping the actual ritual. The door to the underground opens on the side towards the mansion so get your guys into position accordingly, nobody else is inside the mansion." 
Mikado nodded then turned to the wall and whistled. With in seconds men appeared on the wall and started helping others up and over the wall onto the otherside. after a couple minutes All the guards were over the wall and moving to their position. A couple minutes after that Mikado gave Eric the thumbs up. "Lets go Mariah, I need you aiming over my shoulder, aim to imobolize the first person you see kill the rest. The first person we are going to use to learn how to get to where they are holding the girl." Mariah nodded saying she understood. "Mikado!" He called  "Listen to what I say closely incase you can't get everybody in before it closes, you can open the fountain again!" Mikado gave him another thumbs up Eric sighed "It's show time!"
Eric lead Mariah out to infront of the fountain and took in a deep breath to brace himself for the events that are soon to follow. "Darkness key unlock!" he commanded. The water as he saw before turned purple then the fountain rotated a quarter of it opening the passage that laid beneath it. A voice sounded from the bottom of the stairs "Hey your not..." The voice was cut off by an arrow into the right side of the man's chest
"What the..." Again another voice cut off by an arrow ripping through the air over Eric's shoulder. Eric was amazed at the speed and elegance Mariah displayed it was diffrent from when she was angry. Another arrow ripped through the air over Eric after he kneeled by the first person then another. All Mariah could think of was the night the Tainted attacked Eric. She was going to make them all pay for attacking him. They were all monsters to her that needed to be killed and she would gladly do it for the people of her kingdom. She rationalized to herself.
"Where are you keeping Masumi?" Asked forcefully demanding an answer as he lifted the man who was slumped against the wall with breathing labored off the wall. The man just shook his head. Eric slammed him against the wall causing him to cough up blood. "Don't make me ask again!" he demanded with more agression. 
The man's face flashed some fear as he pointed down a hallway "second left, leads to the holding area." The man choked out.
"Good" Eric said grabbing the arrow and pulling it out of the man's chest twisting it "Now then can't have you warning the rest of you guys" Eric said coldly before plunging the arrow into the man's eye. Blood sprayed out covering his hand and splashing him with drops of blood. He stood up asking the gem to cause the blood to evaporate, and turned to Mariah steam rising off him "Let's go." he said as the foutain closed.
Lights automatically turned on as soon as darkness consumed them, "Well that's convient." Eric said I guess they see better in the light then the darkness even though rumor has it they can see in the dark just as well."
"Or maybe its to prevent them from getting blinded when they go to the actual world." Mariah interjected as the two walked forward. Mariah had her bow anchored as they walked Eric pulled out his gunblade and pressed the lever and flicked his wrist. The lock's that held the blade out opened allowing the blade to turn spin back along the barrel that looks just like a fifty caliber linebaugh L-Frame Redhawk. The locking mechonism closed again locking the blade in place. Eric walked with the pistol down by the outside of his leg pointing the barrel away from him towards the floor.
The lights behind them turned off as the sound of the fountain opening was heard, The two got to the first intersection which went both ways, They leaned against opposit sides of the walls peeking around the corner. a group of guards moved In through the entrance down the stairs and lined up behind Eric and Mariah. "Squad one ready to advance when you do." A guard with one star on his right shoulder said as soon as they finished lining up.
"We will clear out the immediate enemies on both sides of this intersection. Gunblades even numbers switch to ranged odd numbers close quarters and pair up. Wait for the next squad to enter then give them the same order along with which way you are going. Tell them to go the opposite direction so you guys work around faster, Wait for the next squad to get to you at the next intersection before continueing on, We don't want them comming up behind you. Got it?"
The sound of gunblades changing forms was heard followed by a "roger" from the entire squad. "Good Samantha and I will go forward to rescue their prisoners. Ready Sam?"
Mariah nodded "let's go" she whispered gripping her bow and arrow tighter. While they were leaning against the wall she had her arrow aimed to the floor as well. "On your count of three."
Eric held up three fingers then slowly brought them down one after the other counting down. When his hand became a fist both of them spun around the corner aiming their weapons down the corriders "Clear" they both said in unison before moving beyond the intersection. Eric Looked back at the captain then nodded. He nodded back as him and another took the spots that were recently vacated. "let's go." Eric said as he started moving forward mindful of each step he took.
The two slowed down as they saw silhouettes in the distance. The silhouettes were of two guards standing at the entrance of a cut out to the left. Mariah and Eric looked at each other and nodded. Mariah took an open stance with two arrows nooked and drawn to the anchor point. Mariah released the arrows, Each ripped through the air and into the necks of  the two guards. Gurgling sounds were made as the men slumped against the wall and slid down leaving a trail of blood on the wall. Eric ran to the closest corner and peeked around the corner. "This is it. Stand guard out here princess I'll rescue the girl." Eric whispered. Mariah nodded and anchored another arrow. Eric closed his eyes and took in a deep breath. As he exhaled he spun around the corner and ran into the cut out that was lined with prison cells that were all empty accept for one that had the young girl Eric saw earlier chained to the wall. Her wrists were together and above her head with a chain running down the front of her body to the shackles on her ankles. 
Eric rushed in hitting the lever to open the locks on his gunblade. He flicked his wrist so that the blade reseated itself infront of the pistols barrel. Eric slashed the first person he came to who turned to face him at the last second, the gunblade sliced right through the man who instantly coughed blood on the floor behind Eric. "What the!" the second guy in the cut out said and pointed a pistol at Eric and started firing at him.
Masumi watched in amazement at the man's agility the moment the guard of her cell would aim and shoot the man would roll out of the way with out breaking stride. She watched in amazement and wonder at the the man was as he seemed to vanish and reappear behind the man "I'm here!" he said in the mans ear before doing a spinning slice. At the moment the blood flew through the air time slowed for Masumi. This man looked just like her older brother that she remembered when she was a kid. He refused to follow the Tainted way and wanted to better humanity instead of destroy it. 
"Big, brother." She whispered as for her the blood from the guard infront of her flew through the air and splaced on whatever surface it landed on. The man spun an extra time and stopped facing her flicking his blade to the side, any blood that was on it flew to the floor. The man smiled a warm smile to her.
"Hey you okay in there?" Mariah asked  stepping around the corner
"Ya, he couldn't keep up with me. Keep an eye out while I free the girl."
"Just hurry up slowpoke! if the gunshots didn't catch their attention the explosions are about to. Damn idiot!"
"Yeah yeah I'm going Mariah" Eric reached down and started patting around on the lower half of the man he had just killed listening for jinking and feeling for any keys. "Where are you. Oh! Here it is!" Eric reached into the man's pocket and pulled out a key he stuck the key into the lock on the cell's door and twisted it with a loud clanking noise the door swung open "jackpot!" Eric said stepping into the cell. Eric walked to Masumi placing the sword on his shoulder. He stopped just infront of her and grabbed her chin with his pointer and thumb lifting her face up and to the right he looked closely at her face. He then force her head to look the otherway so he could look at the other side of her face "hmmm you have some more growing to grow." He said then smiled and foced her to look directly into his eyes.
Eric used his soul search technique he didn't want to envade on her history, as far as he was concerned her past was her private matter all he wanted to do is see the layout of the underground exactly and what laid ahead of them. His vision went into tunnel vision as he stared. This technique only took a couple seconds to retrieve all the information one would want even though to the user it would feel like a lot longer. The world around Eric faded and now he was looking through the eyes of a little girl who was about five years of age. He saw her look into the cut out with tears in her face. All he saw was a silhouette of a figure in a cell slumped against the wall. She looked up to whoever that was and wanted to do whatever she could to save him. She had tried but her plots was foiled rather quickly by her parents and she felt hopeless to stop his fate. Her father continued to lead her straight past a threeway fork in the hallway and another four way intersection finally to large room that had a bunch of small houses carved out of the walls. there was a large group of people surrounding an alter in the middle dressed in robes, they were all adults. "go play with the kids!" her father which sounded just like the mayor ordered her letting go of her hand and started forward the crowd making parting as he walked allowing him to pass walking to the alter the path closed as soon as he passed the people. That world vanished and the here and now returned to Eric. "Thank you Masumi. Lets get you out of the bonds now. Okay?"
Masumi nodded confusion was on her face indicating she didn't know what Eric was thanking her for but she smiled "Big Brother you came back for me. I dont know how but I knew you would escape and come back for me!" 
Eric took a step back letting go of her chin and blinked "Ummm, I don't..." He was inturrupted be a large explosion which shook the entire underground "S**t already! Look Masumi I know you know how to get out of here... I'm going to be going against your father and everybody else in the alter room, I don't want you to be hurt any more so I'm going to cut you free I want you to get out of here, If you run into a group of guards tell them that I freed you."
"Eric! Stop chatting with the girl and get your a*s out here there is commotion comming!"
"Okay, Okay!" Eric called over his shoulder "Now stand still Masumi." Eric rose his sword and brought it down on the chains holding Masumi's hands over her head. A spark fell to the ground as his sword bounced off he then swung the sword at her ankles to cause another spark. The chains and shackles fell to the ground and masumi dropped from her place against the wall. Eric quickly reached out and caught her and held her till she regained her balance. "Now go masumi! The fight is about to begin" Eric let her go then rushed to the opening
"Big brother! I'm com..." She was drowned out by multiple other explosions rocking the undergound even more.
"You felt her up didn't you!" Mariah accused as Eric arrived at her side
"What! She's under age! Plus why would I feel up somebody I just freed... I would prefer to feel you up anyway" Eric reached over and grabbed one of Mariah's breast and gave started squeezing it.
Mariah's face turned a dark red as she let out a scream, She accidently let the arrow she had anchored down into the hallway at the grabbing of her breast. Elegant ice gauntlets formed over both her fist as she turned and punched Eric into the wall. She then continued punching him again and again while she screamed at him "How dare you! You f*****g pervert! I'm going to kill you! your such a sick pig! I can't believe I was actually worried about you!"
After receiving sever punches Mariah stopped hovering over Eric panting She swung her bow around her  having it rest against her back as she formed a large Ice mallet then she started hammering him again and again "Jerk Jerk Jerk!" She started hammering faster as the memory of her being grabbed flashed through her eyes, It was the first time she was actually touched there by another man. Anger and embaressment caused her to temprarily forget their situation as she countinued pounding him again, and again, and again"
A dark energy ball flew into the mallet as she brought it above her head shattering it to peices. Bringing her back to their situation. Mariah turned to see the Teenage girl ahead of them "You!" Her anger at Eric then flashed to the girl who obviously was still recoving from the arrows Mariah had stuck into her. 
"Because of you I lost my squad the girl said, My mother, and my lover! You killed them both! He killed the only one I didn't care about but you took everything from me!"
As she mentioned Eric he stuck the point of his gunblade into the ground and used it to lift himself up. "I deserved that Mariah, But now lets focus on these guys. You take the girl I'll take her back up."
Mariah nodded "Gladly!" she said pulling her bow off and reaching down and picking up one of the arrows she had  aquired "I got this one specifically for you!" Mariah yelled anchoring it
"Tch please, I'm ready for you!" Dark energy spears appeared around the girl. Mariah closed her eyes as beautiful well crafted ice spears formed hovering around Mariah mimicing the Teen girl's attack. Both the women launched the spears at each other and formed another for each that launched. Mariah held the anchored arrow at the girl waiting for an opening as the two continued to throw their own magically generated spears at each other.
Eric ran along side the two attacks careful not to stumble into them. He ran behind the girl to the group of guards behind her. He landed in the center of the group they spread apart giving him space. Eric stood there with his sword held infront of "Let's go!" He shouted as they first started charging in one by one Eric quickly sliced them letting them fall to the floor as he spun to face the opposite way he was facing to repeat. Then came two. Eric quickly zig zagged between the two and finished the same way he had with them charging one at a time. After a couple more couples charging in a gun fired. Eric moved the sword so the bullet ricocheted off of it and redirected into another guard. The entire group seemed to finally think the same thought at once and the all of them charged in at once.
Mariah glared at the Teenaged girl as the spears collided and exploded sending dark energy and ice crystals back. "I can't find an opening. Her power seems so much stronger then before, I don't think I can get all of them much longer." Mariah started thinking "I can't find an opening for this special arrow." Then she shaw it the teenaged girl seemed to have formed a bow with dark energy and had an arrow of dark energy pulled back to an anchoring point as well. She was smiling a smile a dark content smile. "Die b***h!" The teenage girl screamed and released her arrow.
"There!" Mariah whispered and let go of her arrow a split second before she spun herself to dodge the arrow and falling to the ground. The arrow she shot elegantly flew throgh the air spinning as it did. there was a small opening the Teenage girl had opened to shoot her own arrow through. The two arrow's  looked as if they would collide with eachother in the middle of this opening however The arrow Mariah shot spun a little more so the arrow head went through the opening sidways passing by the teenage girls arrow with less than a milimeter inbetween them making it through the hole just in time as it closed behind the teenaged girl's arrow. The teenage girl's spears broke through the wall of ice spears and smashed into the explosion the dark energy arrow made as it hit the wall dust filled the area where Mariah was hiding the results of attack the teenaged girl did. Confident in her victory the teenage girl laughed loudly as the group of guards seemed to be overwhelming Eric.
The girls laughter turned to coughs as blood errupted from the girls mouth running down her chin "What the hell?" She coughed and looked down. It started as a small light comming from the shaft of the arrow that was sticking out of her abdoman but the light grew brighter and brighter. The girl let out a scream of pain just before she exploded in a bright light kicking up even more dust.
"Mariah!" Eric screamed out just as he pulled the trigger of his gunblade which was holding back several other gunblades in their sword form. Unlike his the standard issued and the gunblade that everybody knows when in sword form a saftey mechanisim is placed on the trigger preven the user from pulling the trigger. This is because the actual sword doesn't have a barrel running through it like Eric's No other kingdom was able to master and use the alloys his kingdom had discovered so whenever they would try to make a gunblade like Eric's the barrel in the sword would get dammaged then when the bullet is fired in the sword form the bullet would get caught in the swords barrel and make the gunblade explode in the user's hand. The technology to make Eric's gunblade is believed to be lost with the kingdom as it fell.
Eric's gunblade fired a bullet into the Tainted guard beside him. In the same moment a feet of strength surged through Eric as he let out a war cry of anger, memories of the princess he had swarn to protect naked on the bed  with her throat slipped rushed through his mind. Followed by an Imaginary image of Mariah on the ground a big peice of her body blown out of her from the explosion. His force launched all the men off of him flying through the air into the walls of the passage way "I will show you all The Demon Knight of old. The one my enemies would call the Demon of the Guardian Force!" Eric yelled. The air around him heated up quickly as flames seem to surround him. His eyes started glowing a blood red. Unlike the tainted who's eyes were bright red his eyes were glowing much darker which resembled the eyes of the demon Eric had ran into before only his eyes were a couple shades darker. Eric seemed to vanish from infront of the men's eyes.
"Where did..." One of the Tainted guards started saying before blood spewed from his mouth.
"Ten." Eric's voice sounded as he seemed to appear from nowhere. Ten of the men coughed up blood and fell to the ground "And now for the rest of you sorry peices of s**t to burn!" Eric screamed and  jumped into the air with a fireball appearing into his hand. He threw the ball into the ground in the center of the opening he had created. The ball of fire hit the ground then quickly grew. The men at in the back of the group who witnessed what was happening turned and started running in fear. The fire however, quickly caught up to them and engulfed them. Screams of pain and agony filled the air. The fireball dissapeated and Eric landed in the middle of the flames walking towards where he last saw Mariah. Stepping on the burning bodies of the Tainted guards he had just burned some of them still a live as he walked on them causing them to let out another scream of pain. His eyes were still glowing red as the dust from the explosion caused by Mariah started to settle.
Mariah was just starting to pick herself up seeing that there was no more attacks comming at her. She was on her hands and knees when she saw the crimson blood glowing eyes walking through the fire of burning bodies. The sight was a bit too gruesome for Mariah. She wasn't exactly use to seeing the death of so many, or the smell of burning bodies. She felt her meal previously start forcing it's way up. This forced her to close her eyes breaking eye contact from the glowing eyes that was walking towards her as a little bit of the meal she had eaten prior errupted out of her mouth and onto the ground before her.
Seeing Mariah was ok Eric's anger quickly faded his body visibly relaxed and his eyes returned to normal. "Mariah!" Eric called and rushed by her side gently patting her back. "If your serious about this quest You will get use to sights and smells like this. I remember the first time I was forced into a battle scene like this. Your doing far better than I did." He whispered
Mariah pushed Eric back away from her causing him to fall to his butt "Get away from me you monster!" Mariah screamed "I saw those eyes. Those eyes of blood red. I saw them! You are a demon!"
"Mariah." Eric spoke softly as he sat there unsure what to say or do. Sorrow was now taking hold in his heart. It wasn't the first time he was called a monster or a demon. This time however, the way she was saying it. The way she screamed at him seemed to cut him through the heart and hurt him. 
"Dont! Utter my name you f*****g demon! Don't ask for anymore sympathy or any favors. Just... Just get away from me!"
Eric stared at Mariah for a couple moments then stood and quietly and emotionlessly spoke "Fine, if that is what you wish Princess. I really mean you no harm and i am the same person you met in that Tavern. I can't force friendship or companionship on you so if you want to call me a monster or a demon for doing what I did to your army several years ago, to  today's current enemy. Then so be it." Eric then started walking into the Fire again of the burning bodies. As he walked however the flames seemed to leap off the dead bodies  and Into Eric leaving only the chared remains behind Eric as he continued to walk deeper into the underground with intent on finishing the mission.
Eric continued walking down the hall. His face wore one of complete focus and seriousness. A look he hadn't had to wear in several years, since his last battle as a member of the Elite Guardian Force. He held his gunblade as a sword out to his side as he walked. "I'm going to finish this once and for all for these towns people of my kingdom." he thought to himself "They may be under a new rule but this town was once in the kingdom I am loyal to, and so I will not let demon's take it over. The Demon Knight is here to put an end to this Tainted blight that has invested this beloved town." Eric thought as he arrived at the three way fork he looked down all three passages "no movement anywhere" he said quietly "they must be about to start." He then started walking forward again.
At the next intersection there was a couple of tainted guards that noticed Eric as he entered their line of sight. An archer and another swords man. Only he didn't have a gunblade he had a rapier. "No matter how agile you are, I will kill you with one swipe." And true to his word as the swords man charged him as he walked Eric lifted his gunblade up spinning it then with one diagnal slash downward putting the sword back to his side sending the blood from the man he had slashed off of it onto the floor he cleaved the guy in two. He continued walking. The archer launched an arrow towards Eric. "tch!" Eric scoffed as he brought the blade up again. The arrow flew two the side cut in two. Anger could be seen in his eyes. It was Anger from the pain he felt from Mariah's words. They continued to echoed through is head as he walked. The Archer trembling in fear failed to notch his next arrow. Eric walked passed him slicing his sword back down at an diagonal swing. 
Eric continued walking until he entered the ritual room. The room that held the housing of all the Tainted that had gathered in secret under the city. Eric scowled as he looked into the center of the large chamber. There was a mass surrounding the alter in a large circle. It looked like a large pond of black hoods from where Eric stood with a center cleared for the altar and, the mayor who was at the altar chanting. Beating hearts laid ontop and around the altar. Suddenly All the hearts stopped beating as a black pillar of energy shot up from the altar into the roof of the chamber. "My brothers and sisters!" The mayor shouted so all could hear "The demons will be comming, Bring forth our sacrifice to lay on the altar so the demon's may claim her as payment and tribute in adition to the lives of the miserable people in the gods forsaken town above!"
Eric shouted interupting the mayor as a large fireball appeared in his free hand "That will not happen! Masumi has been freed from your's truely and I will stop your ritual and save the people of this town!" Before the mass could start moving toward him he threw the fireball at the altar. The fireball hit its mark causing a large explosion that sent engulfed the mayor and sent the members of the mass closest to the altar flying back into the crowd. The pillar of dark energy turned into one of fire when it hit the roof of the cavern it started to shake and rumble as cracks scattered across it. Suddenly it started to fall. What Eric saw through the debris was the statue of the mayor falling straight down ontop of the altar. as it fell he saw the pillar of dark energy shooting out of the top of it.
After the rubbel fell ontop of the Tainted below Eric ran out of the frame that he was standing in when throwing the fireball knowing that it would hold being that land walls around it were sturdy. He heard the roaring of demon's from above "D****t I'm to late!" Eric said as he stepped forward looking into the sky just in time to see the rift to the void finish closing. There were several demon's still decending from the air but some had already landed in the city.
"Eric we did what we could, But it looks like where to late. Were doomed!" Mikado said running up behind him, "Where is Mar..."
"Have your Demon hunters clean up the rest of the tainted down here, I need you and your guards up top fighting demon's with me. Don't worry about Mariah."
Mikado nodded and gave the orders. Eric then ran forward using the rubble to climb out of the hole. Upon reaching the surface he saw and counted at least twenty large demons having decended and still decending upon the city "could be worse." Eric said to himself before gripping his gunblade "You won't hurt anybody!" Eric yelled as he lept to a roof top and dashed forward to the nearest demon. The demon's eyes were glowing blood red as it roared at Eric.
The deamon swung it's masive claw towards Eric. Being all the demon's here were greater demon's there stature were at the very least four times larger then the average grown male. It's limbs and appendages were equal in porption with its strength and power being insanly high. Eric dodge the swing as the demon's claw removed a large portion of a building Eric landed on the demon's arm and spun his sword as he ran. he then stabbed it down into the arm slicing as he ran the demon let out a bellow of pain alearting the other demon's to resistance of their take over causing them to stop their current rampage and focus on the resistance they started to move closer. "Thats right scream for me big guy!" Eric hissed the anger from the pain from Mariah's words and anger from his past was burning inside of him "You're right Mariah! I am a monster! I am a Demon! That is why I am called the Demon Knight!" He screamed as his eyes started glowing blood crimson red, the same color as the demon's he was fighting. "Give me another sword gods, Lend me your power so this dark monstrosity that you've entrusted with your godly quest to seal away the Demonking, your godly power of fire so I may clense this town of this blight that was summoned by the Tainted!" Eric called to the gods. Sparks formed in Eric's free hand then a fireball appeared. The ball then became loppsided and and formed a point that expanded into a blade, then a handle guard then finally a handle. Eric was now clutching a firesword in his free hand. He was now at the demon's shoulder in which he lifted his gunblade out of the demon's now limp arm. The demon rose its still useful arm as the starting point of Eric's cut had started seeping with dark energy. This dark energy started healing the arm. The demon started bringing its arm down towards Eric. Eric spun with both arms streatched outward three times he stopped in a knealing postion as the demon's eyes slowly stopped glowing. Eric leapt into the air doing a backflip as the large demon burst into black flames that didn't harm anything else, Then it exploded a quiet explodision sending ashes in all direction. 
Eric noticed a tendril a bit to late swinging towards him. It hit him smashing him into a building. The demon the tendril was attatched to brought its face close to Eric as it kept him pinned to the wall. It seemed to be looking at him with confusion from his aura that he was putting out. It's glowing red eyes shined into Eric's. The slits it had for nose exhaled a foul oder like a strong wind on Eric who continued gripping his gunblade and firesword. His arms however were pinned under the tendril. "You stink!" Eric yelled at the demon "That and your weak, pathetic, insignifiacant, and a sorry excuse for an insect!" He taunted the demon as he glared into its eyes. The demon snarled its entire set of teeth looked as if someone jammed a bunch of giant sharp spikes into a demon. The demon roared at insults and opened it's mouth and lurched forward as if it was going to eat him. Suddenly the inside of the mouth that filled Eric's view vanished as the pressure from the tendril weakened as well. Eric noticed that now he was looking at a large black spike that impaled the top of a now decaying demon. Eric with confusion looked over to his right where the hole to the underground was. He saw Masumi waving at him with a big smile. Eric couldn't help but smile. "I guess this makes us even." He thought just as a large demon hand backhanded Masumi sending her flying into the rubble of a building "Masumi!" Eric screamed the relief he had just felt turning back into shear anger that was even stronger before.
Eric planted his feet into the wall he was embedded in and launched himself forward landing on the giant black spike's flat surface. He surveyed the land and nodded seeing that Mikado and the guards had taken down several other demon's by means Eric didn't care about at the moment. He then spoted the demon that had hit Masumi. Eric lept from his spot ontop of the large black spike charging through the air at the large demon bringing his gunblade as far back behind him for a powerful strike as he could, the fire blade was across his body prepared for the first strike. Eric screamed as he got closer to the demon then brought both swords forward one after the other. The demon raised its hand and brought it down ontop of Eric swatting him out of the air and into the ground with great speed and force. Eric caughed up blood as the demon turned  and brought its face close to Eric who was temporarily paralyzed with pain. The gem immediately giving Eric that warm senastion of healing. He just needed a before he could fight again. The demon after examining him closely with a large red glowing eye lifted its arm back. this movement was methodic and slow showing it was putting a great deal of power into this attack. It appeared he didn't have that minute to recover. Eric braced himself as the large hand came flying down. It suddenly stopped inches from Eric and started to glow with white light. Eric looked puzzled as a bright light blinded him suddenly. "Don't think I've forgiven you!" Eric heard a familiar fiesty voice. Then heard the sound of somebody landing next to him Mariah's face came into his view. "I still need to punish you for grabbing my breast and calling me Princess, Oh and rudely waking me up with ice cold water. So I am here by making you my indentured servant after which you will continue to serve me as my personal royal guard! That will be the start of your punishment and as my first order; You are forbidden to die on me!" She said staring into his still crimson blood glowing eyes. She seemed to have a slight smirk before extending her hand. 
Temporarily letting go of the gunblade he reached up to grab her hand. She helped him get to his feet. "Thank you for showing up when you did." He said bending over picking up the gunblade. "I expected you however, to just move on and forget about me. After all I am a monster, A demon, A blight on this land."
Mariah flicked his nose. "But look at what your fighting. From what I see and I actually had to calm down to realize it, Your just another one of us human's with an usual set of abilities in this fight against the Demonking, and his scum to include the Tainted. After all if you really a true demon don't you think Mikado or the other Demon Hunters we delt with on the way into town would of fought you the moment they laid eyes on you. Now then get your head into the fight so I can punish you later for your transgretions!" Mariah gave him a smile.
Mariah's smile dissapeared behind a wall of blackness. Eric took a step back "What the hell!" he whispered looking up to see the the reast of a large demon head which had scooped up mariah and the earth she stood on into its mouth. A smile crossed its crooked mouth. Eric was enveloped in flames as the intensity of the firesword grew stronger "Mariah!" Eric called and lept towads the demon which had swallowed Mariah. Eric pulled his two blades into the same position he had with the demon that swated him down came close to the demon and swung. The blades cut into the demon's neck but quickly healed as soon as they passed through. "If thats how you want to play it!" Eric shouted and sheathed his gunblade as he landed on the nape of the demon's neck. The demon swated at him like a human would a bug. Eric jumped into the air. Time slowed down as he took in a deep breath to focus. The chaos of the demon's except for this one seemed to be over this one, the largest and strongest of the rest was the last one. Eric's eyes glowing intesified as his focus grew. The sword grew to twices it's size then three, four times its original size. "Burn!" Eric said with no emtion in his voice and did a flip. He positioned the sword so it would cut the demon in half as he came down. His plan was to cut the entire thing in half to free Mariah.
Eric brought the sword down like he intended then halfway through the flame vanished. Eric landed creating a creator in the ground "D****t! That was a dirty trick! You Just fucked up though. Eric clapped his hands together and brought them apart holding to fire swords. He ran infront of the demon then lept forward putting the tips of the swards together. He spun as he flew through the air so he looked like a big drill of fire flying at the demon. He penetrated into the demon's skin where his flame stopped. This was where the demon had Mariah. The moment he entered he continued spinning till the last second. Just before he would hit Mariah he split the swords apart so the cut outward as they continued Into the demon cutting out a black cocoon of the demon. Eric wrapped one arm around the dark mass and with his other hand grabbed his gunblade and cut it the remaining part that attatched to the demon. He then used what he could to launch himself out as the hole he had drilled into the demon started closing. Eric started spinning as he kept his eyes on the exit seeing out into the town that had a few blazes in it. Just as he flew out of the hole he spun so the cocoon that Mariah was in was ontop of him so he would receive the impact of the building they were flying through the air to. He pointed his gunblade at the demon "goodbye!" Eric said and pulled the trigger. The gunblade fired a bullet towards the demon, as soon as the bullet hit the demon the demon froze and let out an ear shattering high pitch scream into the sky just before a pillar of fire errupted from inside of it. Ashes spewed into the sky turning the clear night sky into a cloudy night sky with a large cloud of ash.
Eric crashed into the building then fell to the ground. The cocoon still encased Mariah as Eric scrambled to get to his feet "Mariah!" He screamed and cut the cocoon in half along it's length. To expose Mariah who took in a large gasp of air. "Thank the gods she's fine" Eric breathed a sigh of relief; His eyes returning to normal, before hearing Mikado. 
"So your the last Tainted here... It's time to die!"
Eric's eyes widened as he remembered Masumi "Mikado no!" he said turning the corner to see Mikado raising a sword over Masumi who stared up at him with fear in her eyes.
"Big brother." Masumi cried out quietly as a plea for help as the blade came down towards her.
Sparks flew as a loud clang of metal clashing against metal filled the air. "I said don't!" Eric growled as he glared at Mikado. Eric's gunblade was sideways over Eric's head holding back Mikado's two handed sword which he wielded with one hand with ease.
"Get out of the way Eric." Mikado demanded keeping the preesure on Eric's blade
"No, She saved my life and she has refused the way of the Tainted. That is why they were going to sacrifice her to the demon's"
"She is still a Tainted, And even if they originally deny the way they will always give into the darkness that lays inside them, When this happens they will cause mass destruction. You should allow her the dignity of dying more human than most of the Tainted instead of a monster like the rest. It is the ultimate form mercy you can give her."
"I said no! now back off!" Eric put extra strength into his swing he did to block Mikado's blade causing a shower of sparks to rain around him and Masumi who he was standing over. Eric then kicked Mikado in the chest to push him away from the two."I will take responsibility for Masumi."
Mikado landed on his feet from the kick and slid to a stop and swung his sword around stopping it into a ready position. "It's my duty to kill all Tainted before they cause damage that you see has befallen this innocent town! We've delt with the rest, It's time for her to die noble death to protect the world from future harm!" Mikado lunged forward with an attack "Now get out of my way!"
Eric sighed and flipped his sword so the blunt end was facing outward "You forced my hand Mikado. Forgive me!" he responded waiting for Mikado to close the gap. At the last second he steped to the side and swung his sword catching Mikado in the back of the head with a strong hit. 
Mikado fell to the ground his sword clattering as it slid away. He laid there unconscious. "Big Brother?" Masumi said from her position in the rubble.
"Are you okay? Can you get up?" Eric asked turning to face her. Masumi nodded as she pulled herself out of the rubble and dusted herself off "Good, Let's go check on Mariah." He said with a smile
"Big Brother!" Masumi called out tears rolling down her cheeks as she wrapped her arms around Eric dragging him into a tight hug. Eric paused for a moment then smiled patting her head a couple times before walking to where he left Mariah.
Mariah was still laying in what ashes that was the bottom of the cocoon of the deamon as the ashes in the ash cloud continued to float down like black snowflakes. She was gathering her thought's when Eric's face appeared in her field of vision "Are you going to sleep there tonight, Or should we go back to the Inn to rest. The guards can handle putting out the fires and tending to the wounded."
"Yeah... Let's go" Her head was still in a haze as Eric helped her to her feet. She didn't reconize the Masumi that was clinging to Eric's waist. "Lets turn in for a well deserved sleep."
"Agreed" Eric said with a smile "Tomorrow morning, Mikado said he will be removing guards from the North Gate till noon so it will be free for us to pass now that our secret is out." Mariah nodded as they made their way back to the Inn they've been staying at. Then to their respected rooms. Eric letting Masumi innocently sleep in his bed while he passed out from exhaustion on the floor.

*********************************


© 2016 darkkid1000


Author's Note

darkkid1000
" * " is a time skip

" # " is events happening at the same time

please excuse grammatical and spelling Errors they will be fixed at a later time.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
Added on January 15, 2016
Last Updated on January 15, 2016
Tags: Elemental, Hero, demon, attack, Tainted, operations, rescue, Eric, Mariah, Masumi, Guard, fight


Author

darkkid1000
darkkid1000

West Valley City, UT



About
I'm married. My wife and I are working on a story where she is going to draw a manga. Of course she would say the story is good. Even with grammatical Errors. I know i'm not that good with gramatics, .. more..

Writing
Pro-log Lore Pro-log Lore

A Chapter by darkkid1000


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by darkkid1000


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by darkkid1000