Lucina

Lucina

A Chapter by Chase Wolff

Part 1

Lucina

 

  My sister heavily gasped as she grasped to reach the peak of the cliff. Her legs gently swung over the top as she hung loosely by the edge. I reached out to hold tight to her trembling hand, and pulled her up. She lunged violently into the safety of my caring arms, shedding an array of tears down her cheeks.

  “It’s okay, love, I have you. We made it.” I assured her, calmly. She stared into my eyes, as I wiped her tears. We now stand at the Tashi Plains, overlooking the ruins of the once great Pharonx. I stand in awe over the landscape, and I feel a slight tickle over my eyes as they start to mist. The very thought… the thought that we had made it to these lands… It’s truly a lot to take in. Our travels were long and hard. The pain we endured… the troubles we faced… the threats we overcame. My dear sister nearly shattered from the trauma, but I she will be okay, or so I believe. 

  “Katrika, come here!” I yell. She was sitting over at some rocks a few feet back, but now stands to walk toward me. She halts beside me and views the ruins, and her reaction is quite similar to mine.

  “It’s beautiful…” she mumbled, as she brings her hand up to cover her mouth as she stands in disbelief.

  “Isn’t it?” I respond, then grab her hand and tug her. She stares blankly at me as I give her another little tug.

  I shout, “Let’s go!” Her face lights up as she comes to realize what I meant, and I see her smile for a mere moment. We dash down the grassy hills, exposed by a glorious sunset that illuminates the evening sky. Birds fly through the skies, tweeting as if there isn’t a care in the world. It’s nothing less than serene. The remains of the once great buildings, stand in ruins, yet they are beautiful. Wildlife nesting on balconies, ivy growing up building sides. It stands to be somewhat unbelievable that this was once a warzone, although the entire city is a reminder itself.

  The struggle to arrive here comes down to be worth it, although I had my doubts. We are lone, teenaged travelers of an apocalyptic world… of course we would run into troubles. But it’s what we do. The world is a hard place to find meaning to life in, these days. But my sister and I have. Travelling the world in search of old cities, it’s what we live for. We were born in a sub-colony of Gartronica where our mother and father had been murdered. The two of us however were hidden away behind a secret wall in a closet whilst our parents were taken away to be slaughtered. At the time, myself the oldest at the age of 11, spent the next two years living off of canned food, and digging an underground passage outside of the colony. By the year 3146, we made our way out. However, a few minutes later we had been spotted by a guard that was patrolling the area in a military vehicle.

  “Halt or face death!” The guard shouted at us. We took notice of him and instantly darted away in a flash. Running as quick as I could, my sister couldn’t keep up. I slowed down to stay by her side. The guard was pulling out laser rifles, and at that moment I knew we couldn’t survive like this. I picked my sister up and tossed her over my shoulder and darted for our lives. Bullets of light dashed by us as I strafed my way around. I thought to have reached the end of my life when a bullet grazed right beside me, slicing through the edge of my cheek. Luckily, I didn’t get struck down by that bullet, and also to our luck, we came upon an old underground tunnel, which we disappeared under when the guard wasn’t focused on us.

  We followed that tunnel for a few days, until we encountered an underground city by the name of “Anto” from the 24th century, as shown by a structure. We found some dehydrated meals in cans, and ate as much as we could, then stored the rest and explored the city. That city was beautiful, and architecturally magnificent. It is what sparked our flame of interest in exploring old cities. For the next six years, we travelled city to city. We have seen our fair share of history. 

  After all we have been through, I believe this will be our last stop. I’m ready to end our travels and settle down… perhaps build a home, start a farm, and just live alone, the two of us. All I want is to protect my sister, and at this point she’s about to reach her limit. Taking her on another dangerous trip will be too much on her.

  We settle in an old law enforcement tower, that seems to have taken the least amount of damage compared to all else in this city. A life of living on canned foods isn’t of my most ideal standards, but it’s just best I can do for our survival… we found a grocery mart with a protected underground shelter, containing thousands of canned foods. My sister and I brought the food back to our “home” and laid them out. 

  Over the next few months our home was shaping up well, my sister and I both have been very busy. It’s starting to actually feel like we have a place where we belong. My sister can actually now live without being constantly in fear about what is going to happen next.

  *Thud thud thud*

  I scream and quickly cover my mouth as I hear thudding on our door. I’m currently on the second floor and as I look out my window I can slightly see the shadow of a man standing at our door. He is covered in black garments, which makes him all sorts of more intimidating. My door creaks open and I fly back, but it’s nothing more than just my sister walking in, scared. I close the door and embrace her in my arms. I think to myself that it may be a soldier from the Gartronica forces, and brace myself for what could be the end.

  The sound of a cling… the door handle falling off the door and crashing on the ground… that’s it. The door creaks open and I see the man walk I, through the window. My sister starts to heavily breathe as she cries, and I have to cover her mouth. I wish I could tell her that all is going to be okay, but I can’t lie to her, as much as it hurts me to think that.

  My door creaks open and I hold my sister tight. But then… there’s a scream… and it’s not my sister… or myself..?



© 2016 Chase Wolff


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on December 9, 2016
Last Updated on December 9, 2016


Author

Chase Wolff
Chase Wolff

Sioux City, IA



About
ΩConlanger, attempting to flourish in a foreign world.Ω more..

Writing
Phonology Phonology

A Chapter by Chase Wolff