Part One, Chapter Three

Part One, Chapter Three

A Chapter by Phillitup

Brenda's red Kia Soul pulled up in front of Rawk Middle School. As her younger sister, Maria, opened the door, sweet classical music drifted out into the chilly air. Maria slid into the back seat, tossing her bag over her seat, into the trunk.
"How was your day?" Brenda asked, carefully.
"It sucked."
Brenda remained quite. She didn't prefer when her sister acted out like this.
"In homeroom I got detention for cussing, in seventh period I got into a fight, and now I'm suspended."
Brenda tensed. "For how long?"
"Until after Christmas."
"What?!" Brenda let go of the steering wheel. She turned to face Maria. "That's weeks away! How are you going to tell that to mom?!"
Maria shrugged. Muttering, Brenda turned to face the front. She pulled out. As they traveled down the long, twisting road, Maria pulled out her IPod. She shoved the ear buds into her ears, closing herself in a world. Brenda turned the classical music up.
"I can hear your music!" She shouted, hoping that her sister would hear. Nothing. Brenda reached around the back, groping, until she pulled the buds out of her sisters ears.
"Turn it down!"
Maria shrugged.

XXX


"I don't understand." Natalie pouted, showing Thomas her sad face. He didn't look up from the textbook.
"It's really, kinda easy. -b, + or - square root, b squared-4ac over 2a. I don't understand what there isn't to get..."
Natalie scrunched up her face. "Huh?"
Thomas looked up, Natalie rested her face. This was not a good time to look bad.
"I said I don;t get what your not understanding."
Natalie nodded, feigning that she had understood. She was actually still really confused. The next half hour whizzed past. Studying, a two minute break, studying. Boring! As they were shoving things into their bags Thomas cleared his throat.
"Hey, Natalie?"
She smiled. "Yes?"
"I have a question to ask you."
She froze, her textbook hovering in midair.
"Yeah?" She looked up.
"Do you need help tomorrow? I have a math club meeting, it's pretty urgent."
Natalie sighed. That was the problem with liking a guy who was completely socially oblivious and awkward.
"I guess not. If it means that much to you." She fluttered her eyelashes, something that she rarely did.
"Great! Thanks!" He swung his pack over his shoulder and, like Santa, disappeared from sight. Great. She was left still not understanding the quadratic formula AND without seeing Thomas in private tomorrow. She yanked her hair down from the ponytail she wore when working and let it dangle at her shoulder. She popped on her sunglasses and hurried to catch up with him. As she scurried down the hall, she saw Mrs. Marmac. She slowed to a walk and approached her Language Arts teacher.
" Hi Mrs. Marmac!" She cheered.
Her teacher waved and turned to leave.
"Wait!" Natalie cried.
"What?"
"Have you started grading my project yet?"
Mrs. Marmac nodded.
"And?" Her eyes  sparkled hopefully.
Reluctantly, Mrs. Marmac shook her head. "I'm sorry Natalie. You'll just have to wait until I finish grading the work of everyone."
Natalie plastered on a fake smile. Inside, she was dying.
"Thanks for talking to me Mrs. Marmac." She stated severely through clenched teeth. She was trying her hardest to maintain a smile. Nothing. Mrs. Marmac just waved and thumped Natalie on the back. That pushed her forward and she finally got the message to leave.

XXX


Thomas fumbled with his bike lock, trying to get it to work. "Please!" He moaned in despair. He could hear the slip and slide of Natalie's shoes. The lock clicked and he stuffed the chain into his bag. He thought everything was wrong with Natalie, despised her.
"Thomas?"
Pulling his bike, he hopped on at the crosswalk. He peddled with all his might, flying down the sidewalk.
"Thomas?!"
His grip increased on the handle bars, careening down the street. He heard a thud but didn't look back. Spilling contents, a shrill scream.
Idiot girl.
He followed the street block after block. At the corner closest to the apartment building, he pulled his helmet off the handle bars and jammed it onto his head. The strap dangled from his chin, restlessly flowing along with the bike. As he parked his bike and tied the chain, he heard a voice.
"Hi Thomas!"
He looked up, startled. His face relaxed.
"Oh...hi Jamie!"
He lifted his hand in a weak wave. Thomas clicked the bike into place and stood, brushing off his jeans. Jamie walked over.
"I haven't seen you in awhile." She chimed.
Thomas smiled. Jamie was his best friend since age two. She had sleek red hair and a thin smile. Still, they were tight.
"Yeah, I've been busy."
Jamie nodded. "Girl?"
Thomas shook his head, although that wasn't really true. He tutored Natalie four of five weekdays and spent most of his time studying at the library. Not to mention the fact that he spent time watching the theatre troop...he shook his thoughts clear.
"Nah...just been crazy busy."
Jamie nodded again. What was with the nodding. Usually Jamie was all talk, which is why they got along so well.
"Well, I gotta go."
Jamie nodded. "See ya."
Thomas yanked off his helmet and headed upstairs.



© 2012 Phillitup


Author's Note

Phillitup
Sorry the length is still kind of short. About 870 words or so. Please review!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

80 Views
Added on December 20, 2012
Last Updated on December 22, 2012


Author

Phillitup
Phillitup

FL



About
I am 14-years-old. I find inspiration all over the place: memories, ideas, things I notice. I like believing in things that others find impossible. I think that's the way I hope for a better future. .. more..

Writing