Super Star

Super Star

A Story by Diana Owen Busy with Life BBS!
"

This was an exercise where we had to write a story from a line some one else gave us. We had 15 minutes and could not change anything that was written. I hope you enjoy it.

"

 

If only I could she thought, pushing the dishes in the industrial dishwasher. If only I could get out of this place.  Jessie Jameson thought, as she loaded the tray up for the next wash.   Jessie has worked at her parent’s family restaurant as long as she was able to walk, at twenty-two she yearned for something different, something new.   Throwing the last of the silverware in the basket she pulled off her yellow rubber gloves and tossed them on the counter.  
”Jessie.” Her dad called from the dining area.  She pushed through the silver double doors just as he was calling her name again.

“Yeah” she said. “I heard you the first time.” Showing him some of her Irish attitude.

In the mid stride of wiping down the counters he stopped, turning toward her he frowned. 
”I need you to run the store for a little while,” he began.  “I need to take Grandma to the clinic.”  He handed her the towel, took off his apron and headed for the door. “I sure miss your momma.” He said. “She was so much better at this.”  The pain of her passing was still fresh. Jessie could still smell her perfume; she could still remember her mom’s last words as the cancer had taken her from them. “Jessie, take care of your papa. He needs help running the business ” That is what kept her here, in a run down restaurant that was kept running only by the regulars that have been coming here for thirty years.  After the Burger Castle came to town, the little shops were no competition, who could compete with a fully functional restaurant complete with Arcade, and putt putt golf and a mini racetrack.   It was an all in one family night out.  

 As soon as she watched her dad drive out of the parking lot, she went to the back and changed the radio station; her dad had always kept classical music on because he didn’t want to chase away the regulars.  Mrs. Obenhammer enjoys the soothing music, he would say.  Most of the regulars came in between six a.m. and two p.m. at three- thirty it was safe to change it to some good music.  She returned to the dining area and finish wiping down the rest of the tables and replacing the silverware and napkins.

She couldn’t help her self from singing as evanescence came through the radio…a haunting song about loss love.
”I’m so tired of being here…. Suppressed by all my childish fears.  And if you have to leave, I wish that you would just leave.” She belted out, grabbing a saltshaker and singing in to it like a microphone.  “Cause your presence still lingers here, and it won’t leave me alone.” She threw out her arms and turned around as she emphasize her words.” She hadn’t heard the bells jingle on the door but apparently it had because she had stood face to face with what had to be the most gorgeous man she had ever seen.”  She dropped her make shift mic and then fumbled to try and pick it up...”Oh god.”  She stammered, embarrassed that she got caught singing in to a saltshaker. “ I didn’t hear you coming in.”  Blushing she couldn’t help but express a childish giggle. 

The man stood there smiling at her. God she thought, he has got to be the hottest guy on the planet. 
”I am so glad you didn’t hear me.”  He said his voice was slightly accented.  Jessie couldn’t quite place it but she was sure it was European.  “I was enjoying the sound of your voice.”   He confessed.  She could feel the red creeping up her cheeks again. 

“I wasn’t expecting any one.” She explained.

“You are open are you not?”  He asked.   She was enthralled by his voice; it took her a moment to realize he was asking a question. “Oh, Yes.. Yes. We are opened.” She stuttered.  “It was just that normally no one comes in between two and five.” 
”Do you sing professionally?” he asked as he reached in to his very chic suit jacket. 

“Ha,” she laughed out loud.   “No I don’t even karaoke.” 

“It’s a shame.” Pulling out a card from his inner pocket.  “My name is Armando Esposito.” Handing her the card.  “I can make your dreams come true.”  She looked down at the card as the name had hit her like a rock, A J Esposito.  He was owned one of the biggest recording studios in the world.
”You are joking right.” She asked holding the card up.

He grabbed her wrist removing the card he tucked it in her apron, turning her palm up he placed his lips in the center of her hand.
”Call me.” He said as he turned to walk out.

“ Didn’t you want something.” She called out.

“I found what I came for.” He said over his shoulder as he winked at her.

Her dad came in to find her standing there with her mouth hanging open staring at her palm.  “What are you doing?” he asked.  Just then he noticed the change in the music, frowning he looked at her. “Jessica Jameson what is the meaning of this.”  He challenged.  Jessica blinked as she just realized her dad was there.  “Papa” She said still stunned.  “I had the weirdest visitor.”  Staring out the window where the man had disappeared.  “Oh.” He said.  “His name was Armando Esposito, and he wants me to sing.” She rambled. “Ah so AJ finally took my advice.” Pulling the apron back over his head he turned to fill ketchup bottles on the counter. “What? What do you mean?”  She asked grabbing her father’s arm. He turned toward his daughter and put his hands on her shoulders.  “Jessica, you have more talent in your little finger than any one person in this whole town.” He said his eyes tearing up with love. “I know you promised your momma you would stay her and help, but you are young, you deserve more.”  He pulled the card from her apron.  “A J’s father and I go way back, he owes me a favor.”  He kissed her cheek and untied her apron.  “Go call him.”  Jessie didn’t know what to say as she realized that she had the best father in the world.  She grabbed him in a bear hug and kissed him soundly on the lips.  “ Papa you are the Greatest.”  She said as she ran from the restaurant.

 

The Restaurant was jammed packed as Renaldo Jameson could barely find room enough to hold the latest diners, he had chairs lined up outside the door so customer could wait for an opening. Music and laughter filled the air as Renaldo pushed through the crowd almost knocking over one of his newest waitresses.  “Sorry Shelly.” He apologies “ trying to get to the radio.” 

“Got it Boss.” He heard a voice from across the room.  The music turned up above the sound of the crowd as he heard his daughter voice coming over the radio.  It was her third week at number three. He waved a thankful hand at his Chef.  “Your momma would be proud.” He said aloud as though she could hear him through the radio.. “I know I am.”

 

 

 

 

 

© 2008 Diana Owen Busy with Life BBS!


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very sweet and endearing work. I would look at the mechanics a bit, as was pointed out to me by a writer now long since gone from this site. Use block paragraphs when telling the story. Change paragraphs with each new speaker.



This works well as a story. I would expand it more and try to put more tension in the family loyalty and the dream Jessica has. Love the ending, love the idea behind the work.

Posted 16 Years Ago


=0

Posted 16 Years Ago


a very cute story

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 8, 2008

Author

Diana Owen Busy with Life BBS!
Diana Owen Busy with Life BBS!

FL



About
I am a 36 year old married female.. My passion is to write. My genre is mostly in paranormal, paranormal romances and fantasy fiction. I have three wonderful children (Danyale 19- Josh 16 and Kymb.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..