The Journal

The Journal

A Chapter by Doctor Deathstab
"

One of my first short stories. Written as Supervillain X

"

Sandra and I had been friends for about five years. We met when I traveled to North Texas and I approached her spontaneously. What attracted me to her were her long black hair and her deep, grey eyes. We lived far apart, but kept a regular correspondence. As time passed I came to learn that Sandra was a happy girl who loved to travel. She loved her family and friends, and she loved life. We were total opposites. On occasion, she described me as eccentric. I was susceptible to strange ideas and dark moods. I became engrossed in my study of medicine to escape life. Sandra quickly grew accustomed to listening to my strange theories. She was patient and humored me when it seemed necessary, but she could never have expected anything really strange to actually happen.
It was storming when I arrived at Sandra’s house. Though it was still the afternoon the sky was very dark. Rain had soaked my backpack and I thoroughly. Sandra came to the door rather promptly after I rang the doorbell.
“Alex,” she said, surprised. “What are you doing here?”
“Quick, may I come in? I’ll explain everything,” I told her frantically.
I must have looked like a wild man; wide eyed, soaked to the bone, and talking at a rapid pace. She must have thought me manic. Still, she stepped aside to grant me passage. I startled her when I quickly spun around and locked her front door.
“Is there a back door,” I asked as I went throughout her house closing windows and shades.
“What are you doing,” she asked as she stood in front of me to keep my attention.
“I’m fortifying the house. I’ve already put a protective barrier around the house, but it won’t hold up forever.”
“Fortifying? What barrier,” she asked with a confused look on her face.
“I swear to explain it to you later,” I said. “Right now I have to finish. Do you have any coffee?”
“Yes,” she answered. “But-“
“Good,” I interrupted. “Can you please brew some? I’ll need it if I’m to be vigilant all night long.”
Though she still had questions on her mind, Sandra went to go make a pot of coffee. As she did, I feverishly worked to fortify her home against some mysterious invader. In every window sill and under every locked door I spread a mixture of herbs and spices here and there. No way would it get me, I thought. After two hours of preparing, checking, rechecking, and nervously pacing I finally sat down with a cup of coffee. The storm outside grew steadily worse. Each thunderclap made me jump. I was on edge and gritting my teeth. As I stared at Sandra I wondered how to put my story into words. What could I say to make her believe?
“Please believe me when I say that this is not some twisted fantasy of mine. I came here because you are my closest friend and I trust you.”
“Okay…,” she said cautiously.
“About a week ago I went to the library in my hometown. I’ve read almost all of the interesting books, but sometimes they receive new ones. In the back of the library I found a queer book which I had never seen before. It had no title on the front but had three strange symbols on the spine, and it was leather bound like a bible. When I opened to the first page I began to read about a beast older than human history. Assuming it was a horror novel, I decided to check out the book. However, the book was not in the library’s database. The librarian said I could keep the book if I made a donation, so I did.
“When I got home I immediately began to read the odd book. It began with a beast older than human history (as I mentioned before.) This creature predated the dinosaurs. It hunted and fed off of other species, like a carnivore. When man was created the monster went into hiding, perhaps it was observing the earliest versions of our race. As the human race grew and became more advanced we began to build civilizations such as Babylon, Egypt, and Assyria. Because of many unexplained disappearances of people caused by the beast superstitions began to arise. Pagan gods were often blamed. According to the text the monster is still alive today. And it kills anyone who learns of its existence by reading the book. Because of my curiosity I am damned!”
Sandra looked at me with doubt in her eyes.
“So you think this monster is pursuing you,” she asked.
“Yes, I’ve seen it and narrowly escaped with my life!”
“What did it look like,” she inquired.
“Well, I saw it through my window. Since it was night I could only see its glowing yellow eyes. There was evil intent within them. It crashed through my bedroom window and landed on top of me. Its breath was stale and ancient and its weight almost crushed me!”
“So how did you escape,” Sandra asked with a bit of skepticism.
“I don’t know,” I admitted. “Something in my room must’ve repelled it. I was on the floor frozen from fright until dawn. Then I began to pack my things and come to you for help. On the way I’ve been rereading the odd book for any clues on how to destroy the monster, but I haven’t found any yet.”
Sandra’s gaze met mine. She seemed to be searching my soul to determine whether I was telling the truth or completely insane. Something about her stare made me shudder, but I dismissed it. Her uniquely colored eyes held a power I couldn’t resist. It felt like they were draining unspoken information out of me. I foolishly imagined her ascertaining the fact that I had secretly fallen in love with her.
“You can stay in the guestroom tonight,” she said after a few moments. “In the morning we’ll figure out what to do next.”
I immediately retired to my room with my luggage and a pot of coffee. I did not fear for the safety of Sandra because she hadn’t read the book. The beast wanted me, so I did not ask her to stay in the same room with me. It would also be awkward to do so. I kept the light off and the room window closed in hopes that the beast would not detect me here. I wasn’t really sure of what it was capable of or how it could track me, so I took every precaution that I could think of. I used a small flashlight to read the book in the darkened room. Silently, cautiously I sipped at my coffee. How could something this awful live for so long? Why would nature grant something so monstrous a seemingly immortal life? Or was I dealing with something…supernatural?
“Alex?” A soft knock came upon my door. “Are you still awake?”
I rushed to the bedroom door intent on silencing her. I didn’t want anything knowing where we were in the house. I put a hand over Sandra’s mouth and urged her to use hushed tones. She complied when she next spoke with me.
“I have a confession to make,” Sandra said with a strange twinkle in her eye. “I didn’t expect you to show up at my door so soon.”
“What do you mean,” I asked, confused.
“I believed your story from the very beginning. Do you have the book?”
“It’s right here.” I held it up for her to see. “But I don’t want you to read it. You’ll be in danger, too.”
“Oh, I’m not in danger,” she said with a wry smile. “You see, that is my journal and I can’t let you leave here…”


 



© 2009 Doctor Deathstab


Author's Note

Doctor Deathstab
This was a story I wrote about two years ago. I posted it on another profile I had on this site before. Now I'm adding it to my book.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I really like the dark imagry, and the tale is captivating. I would like a little more detail about his background...(to explain the magic protection spell he has put on the house, and the herb usage) but very well done over all.
I will read the next chapter...you may have already answered my questions there...oh right these are short stories..i forgot..LOL

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Jay
I love the imagery and the ending a lot. Part of it reminded me of Sherlock Holmes in The Final Problem. Would you happen to read Doyle's books?

Posted 14 Years Ago


I really like the dark imagry, and the tale is captivating. I would like a little more detail about his background...(to explain the magic protection spell he has put on the house, and the herb usage) but very well done over all.
I will read the next chapter...you may have already answered my questions there...oh right these are short stories..i forgot..LOL

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow i love the twist at the end.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is a wonderful tale, filled with surprises! I think it's very well done.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

117 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 19, 2009


Author

Doctor Deathstab
Doctor Deathstab

DE



About
I am a new breed of poet. I write what I feel and don't give a damn what others think. I am vulgar at times, but my thinking ability goes deeper than obscenities. (Did I spell that right?) So read bet.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Faded Faded

A Poem by Sean M. Addams