Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Taken away

Taken away

A Chapter by Anna!

Looking up at my twin, I gave my silent goodbyes. Boston will take care of mom, I know this. Although I can see it in his eyes how much it pains him to see me go. The soldier tugs at the ropes binding my wrists. Why must it be a sin to be born as a double? I have known this was coming all of my life. They do this to everyone with a twin of any kind. Tie one of them up like an animal and drag them off to the horrid camp where their life would most likely end.

 

“Ms. Nadrell if you can’t move your feet, then we will force you.” The man holding the ropes grunted in a emotionless tone.

 

“Yes sir.” was all I could force out in reply as I willed my feet to move. Boston rose his hand to his cheek, unsuccessfully trying to hide the sorrow written all over his face. Looking down at the tan rug my mother put down not to long ago a strand of hair fell to my face. Unable to brush it away I left it there, hanging limply.

 

“Last chance, Ms. Nadrell. You can make your way to the van or I can drag you there myself.” the same soldier threatened.

 

“Go. I love you. Be safe.” Boston says unable to look me in the eyes. Ha, be safe. Yeah right. They will probably kill me as soon as we get in the van. Well, here goes nothing. Turning to the officer, I nodded giving the implications that I am ready. In truth, I would never be ready to leave with these strangers. The soldier that looks almost sad to witness this turning point in my life opens the door to my home. As I am being led outside I can’t help but notice how bright the sun is.

 

“Ms. Nadrell, you put up no fight in coming with us. You will be repaid in the long run if your behavior continues. I suppose you have an idea of what is going on?” the soldier that held open the door asks.

 

“Yes sir.” I reply, I already know what is going to happen all too well. They will ask me a bunch of questions while writing down everything I say. Then I will be taken into a doctors office, examined, poked and prodded. Thrown back onto a bus, I will continue the long journey to a camp, full of teens that were taken from their twins also. I learned this in grade school when mom told Boston and I the soldiers could come any day.

 

“Good. Although I will fill you in on the details. Shortly, paperwork will need to be filled out for documentation. Once finished well will go into see Dr. Zona for your medical necessities. After that we will travel a while to the building you are assigned to according to your records. Its not too bad, I promise.” he explained while trying to look convincing.

 

“Thank you, sir. May I ask your name?” I suppose I should talk respectfully. Maybe they would let me go.

 

“Asher, Ms. Nadrell, my name is Asher.” He replied with a smile.

 

“Okay, not to be hasty but we need to get our information on Ms. Nadrell.” the soldier driving pressured.

 

“Oh yeah, full name?” Asher starts.

 

“ Ellie Carson Nadrell.” I answer. Asher scribbles down my name onto the sheet of paper he read the question off of.

 

“Date of birth?” he asks without looking up.

 

“ May 19th 2048” I reply, putting my hand to my face to look out the window. We are on a road that I have never seen. There are no cars in sight.

 

“That makes you 15, am I correct?”

 

“Yes sir.”

 

“Mothers name?”

 

“Sophronia Nadrell” I answer looking back to Asher as he writes my moms name on his papers. The mom I am never going to get to see again.

 

“She alive?”

 

“Yes sir”

 

“Fathers name”

 

“Carson Nadrell” I tear up at his name. Killed before I was born, I was granted with his name as my middle name. The constant reminder of how he would never come to any of my birthdays. Boston and I had never met him, but mom talks about him enough to where we feel like we have.

 

“He alive?”

 

“No sir, he is not alive.”

 

“Well I’m sorry for your loss.” Asher says while still looking down at his papers.

 

“Yeah, next question.” I push.

 

“Manners! Girl, mind your manners!” the driver shouts effectively showing the most expression I have seen on his face yet and causing my ears to ring.

 

“Yes sir.” I mumble.

 

“Fraternal twins name?” Asher asks, looking up in the process.

 

“Boston Nadrell” I wince at his name. I could only imagine what he is doing right now. Comforting mom? I can only hope.

 

“Allergies?” he asks.

 

“Not from what I know of.”

 

“Medical conditions?”

 

“Nope” I say, popping the P significantly.

 

“Okay, that’ll be all for now.” Asher reports, tossing the papers on the floor next to his feet. Glad for the end of his merciless questions I take in my surrounding. The van is open, with a shelf on one wall and the bucket chair I’m sitting in on the other. The front looks surprisingly normal. Two seats with a radio between them. The interior of the vehicle is dark and the temperature hot.

 

The soldier driving has graying hair beneath his hat. He looks about 45 with a belly that clearly shows his drinking habits. Sporting a mouth that resembles that of a fish and skin that shows long days in the sun, he looks like someone to generally leave alone. On the other hand, Asher is the color of olive and is bald. He looks about 30. Asher apparently works out because his shirt can barely contain the strength pent up in his arms. He looks rather happy, a definite change from his former look of pain.

 

Leaning my head on the window to my right, I told myself it was okay to allow myself to drift off. Worrying over Boston, my fate, and the growing need to use the restroom I fell into oblivion, with frightening dreams of things yet to come.



© 2010 Anna!


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Aw, so sad! I can't wait to read more. This sucks you in from the first paragraph, it makes you think and wonder why!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

232 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 21, 2010
Last Updated on January 21, 2010


Author

Anna!
Anna!

IL



About
I’m Erin. Goofy yet serious, loud yet quiet. Geeky, music loving Erin. I am 14 and live in a small town where nothing ever happens, EVER. Can you hear me yell, Boring! =) Just a quick rundown .. more..

Writing
Simply bound Simply bound

A Book by Anna!


Questions Questions

A Poem by Anna!