Examine

Examine

A Chapter by Anna!

I am startled awake by the van door sliding open. I must have been out for a while because it was morning when we left. Bringing my head up I can only see darkness with the exception of a even darker outline.

 

“Asher?” I whisper, assuming it is him.

 

“Yeah, common’ we’re here. Hurry and get out, Dr. Zona is waiting for you.” he speaks in return. I realize how foolish I must have seemed, whispering like a scared dog. Getting out of my seat I wrap my arms around myself because it is unbelievably cold. Asher holds out his hand to steady me as I step out of the van onto the pavement. Outside of the van, it is a bit lighter and I can see Dr. Zona’s office. Asher leads the way to a one-story brick building with me trudging behind, gazing every which way. Turning around, I see that the black van is the only vehicle in the parking lot, we are alone.

 

“Where did the other soldier go?” I ask tentative.

 

“Oh, he went on in to tell Dr. Zona we are here. That’s why I had to wake you up to get you inside. Dr. Zona is not a very patient person.” Asher replies in a casual tone.

 

“That makes sense.” I add. The doors whoosh open as we finally make it into the office. Surprisingly, it’s a cozy place with house plants in every corner and chairs with extra stuffing next to every houseplant. The walls are painted the beige typical for any hospital and at the front desk sit’s a tall slender women that looks about 25 and is wearing glasses. She glances at us as we step in, then turns directly back to the papers she was holding.

 

“Mrs. Trew, this is Ms. Nadrell. Dr. Zona should be expecting us. Harper just came in.” Asher rambles off while walking forward. So that’s what the other soldiers name is, Harper. The women at the front desk must be Mrs. Trew. Soon after we make it to the desk I notice that Mrs. Trew is already holding my fully filled out papers, directing Asher and I to the hallway leading back into the patients rooms. Down the corridor, Harper exits a room. When he sees Asher and I, Harper waves us down, showing that number 21 was the room I would be examined in. The room was the complete opposite of what I would ever expect. Inside sat a big oak desk with a small bed off in the corner. More chairs and more houseplants were piled into the deep red room. Asher grins as he sees my eyes grow two times their normal size. Where did these people get all of this money off of torturing twins?

 

“Astonishing, right?” Asher asks me with a smile still spread across his entire face.

 

“Yeah, I guess.” I mumble just as Harper exits to the hallway, shutting the door behind him. Asher dropped himself into a chair across the room, the way he fell into it made me half believe the oak legs would crack.

 

“You know what?” Asher starts.

 

“What?” I ask back at him.

 

“I hate this job. I don’t like to watch children be taken from their families. I really wish I could save some of you guys. ‘Specially you. The way you act so nice even though we separated you from your poor brother.” Asher apologizes. “I just wanted you to know that I’m not here to harm you.” He finishes.

 

“Wow. Are you guys like allowed to say that?” I ask already knowing what the answer would be.

 

“No.” Asher says with a smile on his face. “Don’t tell anyone I did either, cuz’ you’ll get me in trouble.” he chuckles.

 

“Okay, I promise.” I give my oath and letting out a smile of my own. It feels good to grin. This day has been too long for me. Thinking this, the door opens up changing the grin on Asher’s face to a more serious expression. I follow the example, and try to look bored. In walks Harper and behind him is a short plump lady with pure white hair wearing a name tag declaring her as Dr. Zona.

 

“You must be Ellie.” she speaks in a slow deliberate manner. Giving off the perception that Dr. Zona feels as if she has all day.

 

“Yes, ma’m.” I reply respectfully. “I am.”

 

“Good. I’m Dr. Jenny Zona, I am going to take care of you today. First we will go get your weight, and get your height. Then we will come back in, get some vaccinations and do a few mandatory tests. From now on, I will be the doctor you will meet with every month.” She explains all while using hand gestures and having a fake toothy smile plastered on her highly done up face. “Sound good?”

 

“Yes ma’m.” I force.

 

“ Good, now lets go step on that scale.” Dr. Zona sings while turning around and tromping into the hall, I follow in reluctance. Asher doesn’t come this time, neither does Harper. Leaving me with Dr. Zona, alone.

 

Leading me down the remainder of our current hall and taking a left onto a new hallway we stop about half-way down at an industrial sized scale. Taking off my shoes and stepping on, it calculates I weigh in at 107.9 pounds. Dr. Zona jots this down as I step off and cross the hallway to a hanging tape measurer. Standing straight under the thing long enough to get my estimated height takes forever considering Dr. Zona has to get a stool to see over my head, giving we see eye to eye. The paper is marked with 5 foot 2 as the two of us trail our way back to room 21.

 

“Good. Now I will be a second. Time to gear up for the vaccines. I will be right back!” Dr. Zona practically shouts on her way out of the door.

 

“Am I allowed to use the restroom? I need to pee.” I complain, determined to escape Harpers glare.

 

“Well sure. Common’.” Asher replies, standing up and stretching. The door is opened once again but this time I follow Asher 20 feet down the same hallway to a door with a unisex bathroom sign posted. Going in, I leave Asher in the hallway.

 

As soon as the door is shut I turn around to look in the mirror. My dark hair is in dismay, I have bags making my light blue eyes look tired and every part of my skin looks pale in the fluorescents. Running my finger through my hair in an attempt to look more put together only causes pain when I can feel the hairs ripping at the roots. Giving up, I use the bathroom fast, and wash my hands without looking at my horrible reflection in the mirror again. The light is flicked off before I open the door and Asher and I get almost all the way to room 21 before we hear the bathroom door slam. Making it in, Harper is no longer there. We take the same seats as before.

 

“What’s wrong girl? You look like you just want to die.” Asher asks looking genuinely concerned.

 

“Oh nothing, its just if I was at home I wouldn’t look this way. Or even if I could have used a brush and brought some of my things I would be in better shape. ” I whine. Plus does he think I am going to look happy in the first place, with the circumstances?

 

“Yeah, I’m sure. I would lone you a brush but I don’t carry one with me considering I’m bald.” Asher plays.

 

“Harper really doesn’t like me, does he?” I wonder out loud.

 

“How did you know his name?” Asher observes.

 

“You said it earlier out at the front desk, I’m not dumb you know!” I retort.

 

“Well yeah, It’s not that Harper doesn’t like you, he doesn’t think I should make friends with our “prisoners”” Asher actually puts up quotations with his fingers.

“and he thinks I will get in trouble for it. He doesn’t want to be accused of being nice.” Asher explains.

 

“I see…” is all I can say. Prisoners? What did I ever do? An uncomfortable silence follows Asher‘s speech until the door swings open again.

 

***

 

Around 3 hours later we are finally leaving the office. Dr. Zona put me through a grueling 11 shots, uncountable exercises and multiple nasal, oral, and even urine tests. This time, I am informed I will not be continuing in the black van with Asher and Harper. I am to wait in a small room in a housing building nearby until day break for a bus full of one-sided twins. This is how I am to get to the camps.

Stepping into my current temporary bedroom, I notice the interior was identical to the office’s patients rooms. Deep red walls, too comfortable furniture, and everything made from dark oak. It is a square room with the bed in the right corner. The comforter is made out of a silky fabric and it contains a lot of stuffing. There is a overstuffed brown leather chair in the left corner along with a good-sized house plant. The carpet, a rich shade of brown. Besides that, the room was empty and looked as if it was covered in a thin layer of dust. Although I knew contrary to what’s visible, the room is used often.

 

“Okay Ms. Nadrell, this is where you shall stay. There is a bathroom across the hall with full toiletries to accommodate you. A bus will be here at 8:00 a.m. tomorrow morning, Mrs. Trew will come to wake you at 7:30. You are to board the bus, if you don’t you are to be severely punished. Have a goodnight.” Harper preached before closing the door, leaving me alone in the empty room. I have a feeling that he tends to give that speech often.

 

“Yes sir.” I reply to the air, not knowing what to do. I have been doing that way too frequently today. Not speaking my mind until its too late. Flinging myself onto the bed carelessly messing up the perfection of the comforter. It is soft and equally padding, giving me a good place to stretch out after this long day. I can only imagine what is going to happen tomorrow. I am assuming the bus will be an old, yellow school bus with hard seats and foul smelling air from all of the choked up dirty teens being transported in it.

 

Sitting back up, I decide to go check out the bathroom. Walking to the door I slip my shoes back on and open it up. Directly across form where I am standing is another door with yet another unisex bathroom sign posted. Before heading to the bathroom I gaze down the hallway. The glass door that leads outside and is most likely locked is down at the end. Treading to the doors takes longer than expected because along the way I am knocking on each door to see if anyone would come out. Of course, no one does allowing me to come to the conclusion that I am truly the only person in this building. Stopping at the glass doors I look out onto the cement walkway that I followed Harper up after saying goodbye to Asher. A blinking red light above my head outside catches my eye, a video camera, they are watching me. Turning back around I walk to my bathroom quicker than before, pretending I didn’t notice the camera.

 

Inside the bathroom, I slam the door shut and deadbolt it. Peering around I take in the exact same bathroom the office has, and fortunately, no camera. It creeps me out to be watched. In truth I started to believe that this wasn’t going to be all that bad if I could handle not having anyone to talk to. Asher was nice and that was comforting at the time but now, after knowing they are watching my every move I feel almost betrayed. Which is a very unreasonable way of thinking, these people think there is something wrong with you I tell myself. Sighing, I unlock and pull open the door to scurry across the hall back into my room. Turning off the light I pounce onto my bed and slide under the covers. I wonder what Boston is doing right now, sleeping would be my best bet. It’s only 9:16 but he has always been one to hit the sack early, claiming he needs his beauty sleep. Or maybe he can’t even think about sleeping right now, just like me.

 

Tears collecting under my eyelids cause me to look up, preventing them from spilling over. Oh god, no crying right now I groan in my head. I can see it now, boarding the bus tomorrow with a splotchy red face looking like a big baby because once I start crying, it will be hard to quit. Although I cannot keep my mind from going back to the way I’ll never live again. I am sure my mother has been wailing non-stop since I got taken this morning, driving Boston crazy the way it always does when she cries. My family was probably instructed to use the story that I ran from home to anyone who asks. Not that anyone would, I have always been a loner that took pride in my twin brother. The garden out back is most likely needing watered, considering it hasn’t rained a drop for two months and Boston never remembers to do it. I am almost 100 percent sure that the door to my bedroom was most likely shut up and everything left the way I left it. Well it was if they are still holding onto the false hope that I may come home, like I am. The tears spill over.

 

Frustrated I allow myself to get all worked up over little memories, I quickly wipe the river from my eyes. Only to have it come back, unwillingly. Rolling over in bed I cry myself to sleep seeing Boston’s sad eyes before I left in my head, again and again.

 

 

 

 



© 2010 Anna!


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

very interesting topic, I'm really enjoying it. Read the 1st two chapters and still curious. I want to know the main plot. For a 14 year old, if I'm correct, you write very, very well. Keep it up, I'll check back when you put in more.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

262 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 21, 2010
Last Updated on January 21, 2010


Author

Anna!
Anna!

IL



About
I’m Erin. Goofy yet serious, loud yet quiet. Geeky, music loving Erin. I am 14 and live in a small town where nothing ever happens, EVER. Can you hear me yell, Boring! =) Just a quick rundown .. more..

Writing
Simply bound Simply bound

A Book by Anna!


Questions Questions

A Poem by Anna!