YOU HAVE NO COMPETITION DEAR

YOU HAVE NO COMPETITION DEAR

A Chapter by Elise Anton

Those very few and very brief moments... when the gaze outside the window shows a very near undulating hill; both dark and brooding against the lighter backdrop of a pale sky, just - just before dawn: Precious time.


The sound of early morning birds... even in the midst of a bitter winter finding something to jest about; their chirps breaking through the cluttering clatter of further away traffic - the illusion continuing: A hill. Some birds.


As the yet to rise sun casts thin fingers of light... wisps of clouds turn into light-gold streaks... the hill starts to take form; I can see sharp ridges now - shapes a little more defined: Still a hill though.


It's going to rain... I want to smell the essence of wet earth, parched ground emitting that most welcome odor of fat juicy raindrops splattering; myriad raindrops breaking the toughened topsoil and seeping - trickling deep to join the groundwater below: The reservoir of life.


Darker clouds gather now... The sky itself hued and the clouds mere drifting grey forms; the hill transforming into twin rooftops - newly placed tiles glistening with morning dew: My hill is gone.


The birds have stopped their song... They - like me - see no more purpose to their twitter; and the rain is but fine mist - not at all quenching, nor disguising the wafts of suburban living: Rubbish collection day.


Enough light to read the writing on the wall now... Words sent few days ago, worthy of every Wordsmith ever worshipped; my eyes constantly hovering - for I dare not believe their essence: Someone loves me.


What did I do to deserve you dear... You gave me life, and these very few and brief moments I traipse somewhere in the Highlands; walking beside you as we trace the history of others trodden before us - exploring why this state of being has no real competition for if it did, we'd both be in the grips of some senile dementia: Hallucinating.



© 2016 Elise Anton


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

93 Views
Added on June 11, 2016
Last Updated on June 11, 2016
Tags: writing, story, romance, time, love, words, thoughts, memories, life


Author

Elise Anton
Elise Anton

Australia



About
Hello from downunder! I am one of those people who can just sit and write. It's like breathing for me. I've never shared and never published. It was my thing, my escape, my therapy... I have two so.. more..

Writing