in the morning

in the morning

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto


in the morning

 

 

 

pristine chapel

with pristine sinners

folding their hands

to pray

or hide what's inside

because now

the masks are off

and the Good Book

is reading them.

 

 

erin-cilberto

3/28/23

© 2023 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

There’s so much hidden
Thanks
Well expressed

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

thank you for your words, Julie,
j.
Such biting wit in this remarkable piece. Nothing defines hypocrisy more than the image painted in this satirical poem. A social commentary that would make the great comedic satirist George Carlin giggle in glee. I swear this would make an excellent comic strip in the Sunday edition of a newspaper. This is a gem of a poem.

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

mmm George Carlin...one of the greats.
thank you, Carlos.
j.
What is being hidden inside those clasped hand while the godly xray machine is scanning the body?

Winston

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

I don't even want to know..."hidden" is the operative word.
thank you, Winston,
j.
When I attended Church... I felt the presence of the
Holy Spirit.. along with the voices of the Choir... it all depends on your perspective.
When you leave the Alter... do not take your troubles with you. softly, Pat

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

Yes, do not take them with you.
thanks, Pat,
j.
Wow, this is really quite something.


Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

thank you, Light.
j.
light and ashes

1 Year Ago

always, smile.
That's cool. The book reads us. Good thing for that original sin or the book might not find us interesting enough to read.

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

imagine it looking pretty hard though.
thanks, Bill,
j.
The sinners can't hide anymore... and there are plenty of them....they believe their sins will be absolved but little do they know that the Bible is reading them (GOD) and since their masks are off they can't are open to scrutiny... and more...this is what goes on in churches in today's world....sin all you want and you probably won't get caught!
Best, B

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

I like your response, Betty....yes, you won't get caught until the final judgment.
j.
Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

Very true J. You’re very welcome
Best
B.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
M
I find this most appropriate for today. I think a lot of the people that do attend church tend to be the biggest sinners of all who hope by spending their Sunday morning in a church service will dissolve all their hidden sins. Perhaps it is guilt rather than any strong belief that drives them to attend? Who knows. Yet the lines for the confessional are always so long, aren't they? That is food for thought. Love the 'pristine sinners' description.....they all look great in their Sunday best, yet not so underneath. Such a keenly observed poem. Well written.

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

if only people could be holy outside the confessional...
yes, long lines.
thank you, M.. read more
I think "pristine sinners" is quite an oxymoron. But love covers a multitude of sins. 1st Peter 4:8
We can't take the apple out of Adam's mouth or climb the umbilical back into the womb. We can't hide from God. I think the greatest fallacy in the Christian faith is that certain people seem to believe in a book. There are lots of books and I've read quite a few. But the Word of God is NOT a book. It is the person of Jesus Christ. That is in whom I place my faith, in God Incarnate, not a book. John said The Word was made flesh. I've not seen that in a book. But "the Lord will speak what He will". Ezekiel 12:25 The problem with people putting their faith in a book is nothing new. It existed in the time of Jesus and he addressed the issue when talking to the Scribes and Pharisees. He said, "You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in "them" you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about Me." John 5:39 And the problem isn't that believers aren't willing to follow. They'll follow almost anyone or anything. And that is a problem. They'll follow their preacher, a deacon, a book, the Pope or Jim Jones. But Christ said, "Follow Me" John 12:26 Most are willing to follow someone they don't know but are unwilling to follow Someone who knows them. They're afraid of being exposed to all their other "friends". But "there is a Friend who sticks closer than a brother". Proverbs 18:24 It is a great truth that a man cannot love God and money. God has no use or need for your money or mine. But it may help your fellow man if it is put to use for that purpose. That is what we call "charity". But charity has become a mantra in the churches to disguise robbery and the Lord wouldn't want His house made into a den of thieves. But then, His house isn't made of brick and mortar but of human flesh. That is also where His Word is written; on the heart. He says, "I will give them a heart to know me, that I am the LORD. They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me with all their heart." Jeremiah 24:7 He says, "I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. " Jeremiah 31:33 If something is written on your heart, you don't really need a "book" to explain it to you. The Bible is not just a book. It is like a divinely inspired map. And a map is a wonderful tool, especially for those who are lost. You can find Hawaii on a map. You can point at it and say, there's Hawaii. But it it isn't really Hawaii. It's just some dots and squiggles representing a real place. It's nothing at all like being in Hawaii. But likewise, you can't tell someone who has been to Hawaii and now lives there that the place doesn't exist. Believers must be IN Christ and Christ IN them. Jesus said so Himself multiple times in scripture. John 15:4 is a notable passage. He said that we can't do anything, accomplish anything unless we are IN Him. We have to go to Hawaii, not just be able to point it out on the map. We have to live there and enjoy the reality of it. But people who still sit poking at the squiggles on the map are determined to deny its existence. Me, I like the view from here.

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

thank you, Fabian.
j.
Fabian G. Franklin

1 Year Ago

I can't get into my own writing here/can't review my stats, can't edit/ can't manage my writing...al.. read more
jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

If you get blocked by me..same thing..don't believe it because that would never happen.
Seems many of us are on the same page. The hypocrites got to me as well but in my final runoff...the preacher was a bit over his skis in my opinion and we didn't have a good time together. I almost forgot who we were praising...but in the end you...it's always money.

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

yes, who the heck are we praising?
thank you, will,
j.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 30, 2023
Last Updated on March 30, 2023

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


A Call To Prayer A Call To Prayer

A Chapter by DIVYA


Lip Lustre Lip Lustre

A Poem by DIVYA


Springtime Springtime

A Chapter by DIVYA