the drunk jester

the drunk jester

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

the drunk jester

 

 

 

bootlegger poet

illegal stills

of writes hidden in trees of metaphor

take a swig,

if you're up to it

 

you'll wake up the next day

and not remember a thing.

 

 

erin-cilberto

12/19/23

© 2023 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love this. Poetry should intoxicate us. We need more bootleggers. this world is lacking in the requisite amount of poetry to make us forget our sorrows. And who doesn't need a little oblivion now and then? From someone who comes from a long line of bootleggers, drunkards, and ne'er do wells, this really hits home!

Posted 4 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

jacob erin-cilberto

4 Months Ago

Thank you for your kind review, Zoe,
j.



Reviews

Jacob,

Sometimes it is a bit of the waft and whiff of the spirits which doth loosen the tongue of quill and men to speak that which, otherwise, could not be said, and remain allies and friends ...

Reality is that which we do need a swig of. That and a shot of Humanity's misery upon that platter's plate of served up before us so that we cannot escape cannot claim to no know or see, that misery which others do suffer, whilst, those like you and me live day to day carefree, drunk on life, intoxicated upon amenities and cheap frills that never fill bellies or warm hearts ... For the textbook definition of drunkenness is that of existing and living within a realm of total unawareness of one's surroundings, that which is taking place right before one's eyes, ears, and nose, and not sniffing the stench of other deposed or dispossessed of homes, livelihoods, security, safety, and very lives as important to the afflicted as our selfish selves do deem our fortunate selves, wives, sons, and daughters to be, just because we are you and we are me, and we think to live in the land of the brave and the home of the free, as a grade above all the hubbub, simply because we are us, and they, they are condemned to be them, those whom we claim to care about, but who would ever truly know for the deafening din of our supreme sin of a daily costume ball of indifference.

Marve

Posted 4 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Months Ago

Much true insight in this reply, Marve...thank you for the thoughtful review...
j.
pour it. pour it. i would rather take a slurp to the core.

Posted 4 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

jacob erin-cilberto

4 Months Ago

slurp, slurp.
thank you, blade.

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

244 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 20, 2023
Last Updated on December 20, 2023

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Not in Vain Not in Vain

A Chapter by Dave Brown