Poppy Nation

Poppy Nation

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

Poppy Nation

 

 

when he returned from the war

I gave my father a field of poppies

for pop

as his garden

 

their sound made explosions go off in his head

the petals reminded him of shards of metal

ringing in his ears

 

in the foxhole

within which he still dwelled

helmet tattooed

 

with shells

that lay on beaches stormed

and the cries of men

 

who hugged guns

with what was left of fingers

or hands

or brains shattered and scattered

through

fields of poppies

for pop

and brother Johnny

and Nurse Marie

 

with blood on her uniform

and memory stained red

 

I think my father knew her

and said thanks

once

when she patched him up

and sent him back out to those

fields of poppies

no longer swaying but trampled

 

rotting with sensitivity

curling into shriveled petals

angry at the blue skies

 

sick of the damn wars

wanting to join those

in Father's backyard

 

there is chair on the porch

facing that garden

and all the poppies singing

"with God on our Side"

and it's wondering

 

where my father is.

 

 

erin-cilberto

1/6/24

© 2024 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Jacob,

My Dark story, Dumpster Divin' In Ole Whiskey Dent is designed and built around friends and family members who served in America's armed forces: My Dad & Step Dad in Korea, my two uncles in World War II, school friends the Wheatley's in Vietnam, along with a childhood friend Mike Mayberry, and a friend named Larry Simmons (he took me in and taught me how to dumpster dive and survive at a brief, but, low point in my life that I shall never forget as lessons well learned for the sake of others) who just passed away a week or so ago ... The story is fiction and philosophical ... The events portrayed are, tragically, true to life as seasoning that I had hoped would cause readers to realize that there IS NO GLORY in war, only misery, suffering, and death for all involved on either side, as all lose fathers, sons, family, husbands, and relatives that each held dear to their hearts, and most men never come home the same, ever again ...

A most poignant read for anyone who has ever served or had family that served their nation anywhere in the world of on any given side: People are people, and it is people who suffer and die in wars ...

Marve

Posted 3 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

3 Months Ago

thank you for your kind review, Marve.
j.
Sounds of war. Sounds of hell. There is never a complete escape. Well done Jacob

Posted 3 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

3 Months Ago

yes, never. Thank you, Duff.
War is hell. There are no good wars. I think there are necessary wars. But when one country invades another there is no hope of settling sovereignty without war. Men fight to defend their homes, their families and their way of life. It doesn't require a "patriot" or a "hero" to stand up when the choice is kill or be killed, live or die. It only requires a will to survive. As long as we have people bent on aggression and taking whatever they want by sheer force or arms we will have need of those who defend against it. Most Americans pre WWII were isolationists saying we should mind our own business at home. Even as the holocaust was raging Hitler found a lot of Americans in agreement with his treatment of the Jews. The general consensus was "they brought it all on themselves". Of course at that time nobody knew how far the "ethnic cleansing" had progressed in Germany. But if WWII and Pearl Harbor taught Americans anything it should be that even if you stay home and mind your own, the evil will still come to you and for you. The only difference is fighting it overseas or in our backyards and on our own front lawns.

Posted 3 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

3 Months Ago

Nobody brings on themselves what happened to the Jews with Hitler...but people can be made to believ.. read more
FGFRANKLIN

3 Months Ago

Politics is the art of doing nothing while promising everything you think others want to hear. It's .. read more
god always helped the israelites when they had to go to war (as long as they were following him and doing the right things). the wicked witch used a field of them to put dorothy and her traveling companions to sleep in the wizard of oz. a touching tribute as well as a poignant commentary. g.i drug use in vietnam soared, some probably used those poppies for heroin to kill the physical and emotional pain. war is a sick and twisted endeavor with far reaching, lasting effects. i would put alcohol, barrooms and dark alleys right next to that field. perhaps if leaders/politicians had to march through a field of them they would change their minds about war ... :)

Posted 3 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

3 Months Ago

I would like to see the leaders have to do that.
Thank you, Pete,
j.
I really don't know what to say here except that this is strikingly human and true. I can't say that I like it. It is not that kind of poem but it is educational, and amazingly written. It strikes all those human/war notes.

Posted 3 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

3 Months Ago

Thank you, Ken, for your very encouraging review.
j.
The soft red silken skirts of beautiful poppies in a field are such a contrast to the carnage of warfare. The imagery here of the seed heads of the poppy exploding are powerful. Trampled poppies bring a lump to my throat. The whole poem brings me imagery of ww1 and ww2, The soldiers who survived had to live with the warfare still in their heads long after the wars ended. That continued trauma must have been hell for them. The ones who died in some respects found peace. The ones who lived and remembered were probably never at peace. The hell continued. The whole poem speaks to me of the futility of warfare. And yes, whose side is God on and do soldiers go to heaven? Questions without answers. This poem touches me. I find the whole subject matter almost overwhelming the more I think on it. The sacrifice just too overwhelming to contemplate. And do we learn by mistakes of the past? No we just repeat them. And that is devastating. Incredibly powerful and on so very many counts j. I could have written a book.

Chris

Posted 3 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

3 Months Ago

as Dylan wrote and sang...."if God is on our side, he'll stop the next war."
I really appreci.. read more
Wow this is a beautiful piece. It is so delicate and soulful. The line "memory stained red" fits so well with the way such pain can linger in life, even memorialized in something as beautiful as a poppy. Wonderful job :)

Posted 3 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

3 Months Ago

Thank you for your kind words, nadia,
j.
The sadness of losing a father in war........
I only can say I just can imagine what you felt after losing him😞.
Wishing you health and happiness
Take care

Posted 3 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

3 Months Ago

I appreciate your kind words, Nima.
My father actually designed ships for the Navy during WWI.. read more
Such a heartfelt write and sad as well.
very well expressed emotions.

Posted 3 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

3 Months Ago

Thank you bw...
j.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

179 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 7, 2024
Last Updated on January 7, 2024

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..