How to solve a pigeon problem yourself

How to solve a pigeon problem yourself

A Story by Arnold Kotak
"

If you are plagued by pigeons (or any other birds for that matter) then you will already be well aware of the problems that they can cause.

"

Not only can their droppings deface property and make it look unsightly, but the uric acid (this is the white material you can easily see after you have been visited by one of these feathery pests) can cause significant damage to property (especially the paintwork on cars).  Add to this the potential health hazards associated with such excrement and it is little wonder that people will do all they can to ensure that the problem is removed.


Thankfully there are a number of fantastic products available to help you stop pigeons from taking up residence at your residential, or business property and the vast majority of them are very cost effective.  However, if you want to do it yourself, there are a number of things you can do.


Bird spikes are one of the most effective steps to stop birds from landing, perching and ultimately roosting on roof tops ledges and even TV aerials.  Of course you can make these yourself; however, unless you happen to have plastic spikes lying around your home there is a chance that you may have to resort to using nails as an alternative deterrent, which in turn could cause birds to become injured.  A good, safe alternative is to simply use a slinky toy.  By spreading this along the length of the area you wish to protect and securing it in place (either with wire or potentially duct tape) you can create a very uncomfortable resting spot, which will act as a suitable deterrent.


If you want to avoid chemicals then you can always turn to spices, as pigeons generally do not like these.  Using a liberal sprinkling of pepper, cinnamon and even cayenne pepper can often do the trick.  The downside with this approach though is that you will need to reapply your concoction every time it rains " which may prove to be time consuming, and ultimately more expensive than alternative professional methods.


What to do if populations get out of control?


These are well and good as preventative methods, but what happens if you already have an out of control pigeon population and require more drastic bird control measures?  In such a situation you may be looking at ways of controlling the population, usually via the act of pigeon removal.  This can be done easily and in a humane manner.  Bird traps can be set up in suitable locations to capture select numbers of pigeons, and these can then be destroyed off site. 


When numbers are out of control, and pigeons are merely adding to them by breeding, this can often be the most effective solution.  There are  many professional firms that offer this as a service, so you can always speak to an expert to find out if this is the best solution for your problem.

© 2015 Arnold Kotak


Author's Note

Arnold Kotak
The author Arnold kotak has a keen interest in bird control. Also very enthusiastic to share his knowledge on the subject to inform readers about all aspects of the pigeon removal industry.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

266 Views
Added on January 23, 2015
Last Updated on January 23, 2015
Tags: pigeon problem, United Kingdom

Author

Arnold Kotak
Arnold Kotak

New York, NY



About
The gastric juices of young children contain, in addition to those just mentioned, the enzyme rennin, which acts on milk. Some foods, including simple sugars and alcohol, are absorbed directly through.. more..

Writing