The Eclipse: Chapter 2

The Eclipse: Chapter 2

A Chapter by Eva Sirois

 

    I stared into my cup of Eril bark tea. The Healer, Cordelia, had given it to me, saying that it would calm my nerves. Auron had a similar cup, while Fabian had a mug of beer, or something like that.

    “Elara!” A terrible shriek called from outside. I recognized my mother's voice. “Elara! He's gone! Your father's gone!” She burst into Cordelia's house and grabbed me by my shoulders. She shook me widly. “I can't find him! He's gone!”

    I felt sad. She had finally cracked. “Mother, he's been gone for years. Ssh. Just have some tea.”

    I noticed Fabian staring in shock and horror at the two of us, but I didn't have time to wonder why, because Mother was shaking me even harder. “Elara! Your father, he's alive! You must find him, if you are to survive! Do not trust Kaius, even at the cost of your life! He's evil! He's the one that...” She trailed off, clutching her heart. “My heart! It's breaking!” she sobbed. She slumped to the floor.

    “Mother!” I jumped forward and put my arms around her, rocking gently. “Mother, ssh, ssh. Just have some tea. You're going to be alright!”

    “No, she's not,” Cordelia said gently, crouching down. “She has lost the will to live. She will not survive long.”

    My eyes filled with tears. “Mother! Please, keep fighting! Fight for me!”

    “Your father....he's in Latchnor.....Find him!” she gasped.

    “Mother! No! Don't leave me,” I whispered, tears flowing down my face.

    She didn't answer. She closed her eyes, and her breathing became slow and gentle.

    I stayed with her through that night, the longest of my life. Sometime in the early morning her slow, slow breathing had stopped, and she lay still. She was gone.

    I stayed in Cordelia's hovel, helping her with little things, like helping her with some of the patients. Auron was a good friend, and he provided me with a shoulder to cry on, and very generously didn't mention his soaking wet shirt.

    Fabian didn't talk to me after that night, but I could feel him watching me from afar. As far as I knew, he was camping out in Cyrus Glen, but denied it when Auron questioned him.

    On the seventh day after my mother died, I had a visitor. I was sweeping the floor, and Cordelia was grinding up herbs with her mortar and pestle for Draylen, who was complaining of a stomachache, when there was a knock at the door.

    “Could you get that, please, Elara?” Cordelia called to me. I put the broom down, trying not to damage the sticks on the end, and walked over to the door, and opened. The evil stranger was outside of it, one eyebrow raised, a faint smirk on his face.

    I leaped for him, but he easily caught my arms and slung me to the floor. Cordelia shrieked. “I came here to offer my sympathies,” the evil stranger said slowly, enjoying every moment. “I did not come here to pick a fight.”

    After a few seconds he let me up. I retreated to the far end of the room, eying him coldly, warily. He sat down in a chair next to the table. Draylen coughed about his stomachache miraculously gone, and hurried from the hovel.

    “What do you want, murderer?” I spat at him. His eyes hardened.

    “Was that an accusation? I most certainly did not kill your mother.”

    “No, but you tried to kill me.”

    A cruel smile appeared on his face. “I do not know what you are talking about.”

    “Thunder Falls? Jog some memories in your tiny brain?”

    He sighed. “I still have no understanding of what you are talking about. I came here to offer sympathies.”

    Cordelia watched the entire scene, looking frightened. I ground my teeth. “Well, offer them and go away.”

    The man stood up and bowed. “My name is Kaius. I am very sorry about your mother and I hope to assist you in any way that I can.”

    My eyes widened, and my lips parted in horror. My heart beat against my chest. What was it my mother said? Do not trust Kaius, even at the cost of your life. He's evil. He's the one that....That what?

    “Fine. Thank you. Now get out.” I walked over and opened the door.

    “You seem in an awful hurry for me to go,” Kaius observed.

    “What gave it away?” I glanced helplessly out of the door. A shadow blocked it.

    “Hello, Kaius,” Fabian said quietly.

    Kaius stood up. “Why, if it isn't Fabian,” he hissed, his lips curled into a sneer.

    “What do you want, maggot-breath?” Fabian shifted slightly.

    Kaius threw me a look I didn't understand. “I was offering my sympathies to the young lady. We are going on a quest together, very soon.”

    My mouth dropped open as Fabian's head snapped to me. “What the heck are you-” I began angrily, but a force hit me in the chest, and I was thrown backwards.

    In one quick movement, Fabian drew his sword, and attacked Kaius smoothly. Cordelia screamed, and screamed, the sound piercing my ears. Villagers came running to see what was happening.

    Kaius met Fabian's sword with his dagger, and quickly led a counter-attack. The two men were so engaged in their battle that they did not see me creep up with a stone pestle in my hand. I brought the pestle up and hit Kaius with it with all my might in the shoulder.

    I expected him to crumple to the ground. I expected him to cry with pain. All he did was aim a backward kick at my legs, and I tumbled to the floor banging my head with a sharp crack off of the edge of the hearth, and darkness clouded my vision, and I knew no more.



© 2011 Eva Sirois


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
Added on May 28, 2011
Last Updated on May 28, 2011


Author

Eva Sirois
Eva Sirois

About
I'm a sophomore in high school, and I love to write. I spend most of free time writing when I'm not being drowned in homework or busy with jazz band and marching band. I typically write fantasy becaus.. more..

Writing