Caged

Caged

A Chapter by Faith Mairi

"Now I think you're just taking the piss, you've been lying there for far too long."


I grimaced and opened my eyes, glaring at the so called doctor sitting at his desk smoking.


"You know, I could've just been lying here dead and you would've no idea," I sat up and swung my legs over the side of the bed ignoring the old man's raised eyebrows. "How much trouble am I in?"


"For attacking an eleven year old experiment and practically ripping his neck out? I have no idea." He stood, picking up a clip chart �" probably trying to look professional - and examined the paper attached to it. "Just be thankful you're a valuable piece of intelligence otherwise your body would have already been cremated and thrown in the wind a long time ago."


"Gee, thanks Old Man," I replied with sarcasm.


The man narrowed his eyes at me, "Just what part of the age twenty-nine is old?"


"The fact that you've made it past the age of nineteen."


Shaking his head, Doc made his way over to his cabinets examining what was on the shelves, "The higher Monkeys' told me to release you once you woke up, but to call Grant and Michael to escort you back to your cell."


That had me jumping from my bed, "I'm under cell arrest? Just 'cause I picked a fight with a little measle? Oh, that's low! I've barely learned anything recently as it is, if you haven't noticed; I've just returned from confinement!" I ranted, although secretly pleased that he had picked up on the nickname I had given the scientists.


"Which is why I was so surprised to see your unconscious body being hauled into my wing just one day later," he replied dryly. He turned back to face me, his stormy eyes taking in my profile.


I glared back at him for his staring and my ears twitched in irritation, "If you want to dissect me then go ahead and save time! I'd rather you do it than the Monkeys', they'd probably do it to me while I was awake to see if I would survive it or not."


Doc smirked and ran his hand through his black hair and I watched some strands fall back into his eyes. "You're a real piece of work, you know that right?"


"I have cat ears, a tail and eyes that aren't the same colour! So yeah, a lot of work has obviously gone into my creation."


"You're eyes were a mistake," he told me taking another puff from his cigarette.


I huffed, already knowing that fact. The monkey's had tried to give me cat eyes, like Twinkie, but that experiment on me had gone wrong and I ended up with one human brown eye and one cat blue eye. If the rest of me hadn't worked out so well I'd have been thrown out with yesterday's garbage. "Not everyone is perfect."


He chuckled, "Ain't that the truth. You better get going back, rug-rat," he sat back at his desk, holding a syringe, "the guards know that you should've woken up by now."


"How long was I out for?" I asked, eyeing the needle cautiously.


"Two hours; the maximum time for the new formula for stunning unsuspecting experiments."


I gritted my teeth and my ears fell back against my head; I wished he would stop referring us as 'experiments', it always reinstated the fact what little of humanity we had left didn't count in ways it should, "What's with the thing in your hand?"


Doc gave me a regretful look, "Sorry Jinx, but they want you drugged up for the next couple of days."


I took a step back, nausea crawling up my throat and my gut tightened at the thought, "How many doses?" I could handle two, three even.


The old man cleared his throat, "Four."


I leapt up onto the top of his cabinet. Like hell I was gonna let him give me a four dose drug which made me loopy, I wouldn't be able to do anything in such a state. I had been given a dose of it before; one every four hours for a full day and that had been bad enough. I snarled down at Doc as I stalked up and down the cabinet like a wild animal, thankfully the ceiling was so tall so I could actually move.


"Don't make me have to call for Grant, Michael and their squad team just to restrain you. Let's take the easy way this time, Jinx," he tried to persuade me but I wasn't buying it.


"Go f**k yourself!" I growled planning to swat at him with my claws if he got too close.


"Take the easy choice, you're going to be given the doses fighting or not."


True, but the only way they were giving it to me was with a fight. I narrowed my eyes down at him and put my fangs on full view, "Give your best, Old Man 'cause no way am I gonna let you go down the smooth road."


He clicked his tongue in frustration, his face saying he really didn't want to have to do this; still he crossed the room and pressed the red button by the door. A vibration travelled from the room, spreading over this area of DeadLock, giving the signal that help was needed. "This is going to be brutal."


Not even five minutes later, the door to the Infirmary Wing crashed open and my two personal guards entered with a couple of their buddies for back up. The four all glared at me up on my high perch, already thinking of ways to get me down willingly, or by force.


"Hey guys, welcome to the party," I grinned down at them, "come anywhere close to me and I will scratch out your eyes!"


Grant waved the three men on, motioning for them to drag me down.


"That isn't an antique is it?" the burly guard asked Doc, meaning the classy cabinet.


Doc sighed, rubbing his neck, "It doesn't really matter, does it?"


I just picked the best spots to hide on top of didn't I?


"Family heirloom? Brought by a loved one?" Grant kept up his questioning.


"No, I just brought it from a bloody flea market!"


I snorted as I lay down on my belly, like a family heirloom would've been brought to decorate an Infirmary wing in a facility which practiced human experimentation.


"Alright," Grant stepped forward, "Tear it apart, Michael."


Say what now? I looked down at the men, startled at their choice of method. "Are you sure you guys want to do that? I mean, Doc looks like he really likes this hunk of polished wood."


I was guessing that was true considering all blood had drained from the old man's face leaving him as white as a sheet. The poor guy.


"Well, if you choose to cooperate then we won't have to do this," Michael said, looking up at me with his hands on his hips, "What d'ya say?"


"I say Hell no Bucko," I hissed, successfully clawing one of their back up boys.


"She's going to have to be caged," Michael told his partner.


"Oh look at that! Another reason is given for me not to let myself be fed to you sharks!"


A hand grasped my ankle tightly and yanked hard, pulling on my leg. I yelped at the surprise attack and dug my claws into both sides of the cabinet, trying to cling to my safety. Another hand grabbed at my tail, managing to get a hold of it and I began to panic. Those damn b******s! The hand roughly pulled my tail and I cried out in pain.


"I am going to f**k your faces up so badly!" I promised them as tears sprung to the corner of my eyes, releasing my grip I turned and slammed my boot into one of the guy's faces. "Take that, piggy!" Falling to the ground I landed partially on my feet and scratched at the guy I had kicked, I smiled as I got a good hit in and watched beads of blood appeared at three long cuts running across his cheek. As the man hissed at the stinging pain a strong force barrelled into my back, forcing me down onto my belly on the floor.


"Not so high and mighty when your crawling around in the mud, are you cat?" the man laughed, wrenching my arms behind my back and holding them tightly in place. I squirmed beneath him but could barely move considering his heavy weight.

"You should really ... lay off the donuts," I wheezed.


Michael leaned over the two of us, cuffing my hands and then pulling me up by my hair when my fierce dick of an attacker finally rolled off my back.


"Hey!" I growled at him, "Watch the hair!"


"Where you're going, Darlin', you don't need to worry about it," he told me, pushing me towards the door.


"Oh really? And here I thought being caged meant that I would be getting the spa treatment, but obviously they used all their products on you, big guy," I tutted as I walked ahead, "What a waste."


I caught Doc's eyes as I left and bared my fangs at his cool composure.


"I'll be by in under an hour," he told me, "I'll be giving you your dosage then."


"F**k you!" I spat back at him as the door slammed shut.


And to the cages me and my merry men went.


xxxXXxxx


I gritted my teeth as Michael bound my hands behind my back and then shoved me into the tiny a*s cage which was just the perfect size for a small dog. Damn b******s.


"You're locking me up in a cage with a padlock, and you still find it necessary to cuff me as well," I said as the door was slammed shut, "thank you gentlemen, but not even someone as awesome as I can get through these troubling obstacles."


Grant chuckled, "That's the whole point, baby girl," he pointed his taser at me, "Now behave for Doc, he doesn't want to have to do this you know."


I widened my eyes, "Wow. Grant ... you ... for the first time since I've met you, you have just shown a shred of humanity for another being," I pretended I was choking up, "I'm touched."

He glared at me and rattled the cage bars before stalking away, slamming the metal door to the large room shut behind him. I was alone. Sighing I brought my hands in front of me, the cuffs hanging from one wrist. "Too easy," I muttered sliding it off and dropping it down beside me. Those idiots really did know nothing. Shifting slightly, my hip clashed into the bars beside me and I growled in irritation.


Time passed slowly, I began to rock and forth, my brain becoming foggy and slow as boredom took over me. Why were all the other freaks such good experiments? Why couldn't at least one of them start a riot so they'd be tossed in here with me? At least I'd have someone to talk to; hell I was even close to begging for Twinkie to be brought in to keep me company. Well, that option was still a long way off. Closing my eyes I felt myself drift into sleep and I slumped slightly into an uncomfortable position.


I was too late to come to my senses, by the time I had woken up Doc was already holding my arm and I watched in horror as he stabbed the needle through my skin and injected the drug into my bloodstream. Already I could feel its effects taking place as my head became even more foggier and empty and my breathing came short and laboured as if I had been running for smiles. My eyes fluttered shut, my vision becoming blurry but I could still make out the pity on Doc's face.


"You..." I took in a breath, "b*****d..."


My body succumbed to the heavy dosage and from then on, my mind was lost to me.


xxxXxxx


Talking. There was a lot of talking going on around me. Feeling slowly returned to my body and I felt my fingers twitch. Cold flooring met my palm as I placed it straight down, bracing against my arms I tried to push myself off the ground but they gave way and I collapsed. My eyes fluttered and I sensed another being standing close, looking up I saw Twinkie looming over me.


"Twinx?" I murmured.


"You look like hell," she stated plainly reaching down for my arm, "you leave ready to battle and you come back brutally injured, " she sighed as she helped pull me to my feet, "this is why you shouldn't battle."


I gave a shaky laugh, my head thumping like a drum set, "Oh please, if I didn't fight who would?" I asked, clinging to the bunks.


"I sure as heck know it wouldn't be myself," the girl replied standing with her hands on her hips.


"How long was I out?"


"Four days."


Four days. That was extreme.


She shrugged as if knowing what I was thinking, "I guess the drug took longer to leave your system or something."


It probably wouldn't be long till other inmates learned first-hand just how mind f*****g the new and improved drug intake was.


Slowly climbing onto my bed I groaned, my back ached from being hunched over and my mind was still full of cobwebs. My stomach was in turmoil and I realised I hadn't eaten for four whole frickin' days. My hands clenched on the bed sheets as nausea burnt my throat.


"You're back just in time though," Twinkie continued, sitting beside me, "the High Monkeys' are doing their monthly rounds today."


I coughed, my body shaking. "Their rounds? Don't humour me; it's more like their circle of honour," I felt a drop of sweat run down my face from my forehead.


Twinkie frowned and soothed back my hair, "Hey, are you feeling alright? You're normally back on your feet by now." I coughed again and she put her hand on my forehead. "Holy crap, it's hot! You're burning up!" She cupped my cheeks, worry and alarm lacing her words. I breathed in slowly, my body still shaking. What did those b******s do to me?


"Twinkie . . .," I breathed in, "I feel too hot. My body . . . it's burning."


"Okay, okay," she hopped down from the bunk and began to pace in the cell, "What to do? What to do?" she muttered to herself. "What did the normal Jinx drum into your head? In situations like this what you should do is . . .," she clicked her fingers and turned to the cell front, "I've got it!" Taking in a deep breath, she yelled, "Yo, Easton! Jinx is down! Get networking!"


I was vaguely aware of noise popping up from all directions until everyone in the block was yelling at the top of their lungs. Even some were rattling their bars, calling out for the guards, yelling abuse at the various monkeys' scurrying around. If you yourself couldn't get word out, use other people's voices.


"What the hell is going on here?" A deep voice shouted, drowning out all others.


"Oh boy," Twinkie muttered, backing away from the front of our cell, "Papa Bear is here."


I opened my eyes but my eyesight was weak and fuzzy so I couldn't see outside the cell. The appearance of Papa Bear wasn't good; he and the other two members of the Bear family were the only ones I called Scientists. They were dangerous and ruthless a******s and didn't care about their "Research Ingredients'", taking chances of experimenting at any chance.

I closed my eyes, wishing for sleep to come; I was too tired to deal with any of the high members of DeadLock.


Faint murmurings came from the cell block and footsteps came our way, Twinkie gasped and surely backed away into the far corner of our human cage. A normal reaction when faced with the Three Most Feared. I heard the gate as it moved upwards and the footsteps as our cage was invaded by our enemy.


Crap, I can't move.


"What's wrong with her?" That nauseating sound was Mama Bear's voice.


I smirked slightly; the b******s were keeping their distance from me, and here I was thinking I was loved.


"She just returned from the Cages. She was drugged with a four level dosage and has only just come back from its effects."


Thanks for explaining my situation, Grant.


I could just imagine the Mama B***h tapping her chin with her perfect nails.


"How's her condition? Is this the after effects?" I almost shuddered at the next voice in revulsion; Baby Bear.


What a snivelling idiot. He was the kind who hid behind people with power, always looking out for number one. He was also a sick b*****d and everyone hated him especially, if I ever got out I'd rip his head from his shoulders.


That made me laugh mentally, "getting out" what a stupid, unrealistic idea.


"Quick, we should take her to lab!" Papa Bear commanded, "We can monitor her body as she passes through this stage, it'll help with research on both her altered body and the drug."


Almost immediately I felt two strong arms lift me from where I lied and carry me out the cell, the motion swaying my to and fro. Nausea burnt my throat again and I seriously thought I was about to hurl out in the cellblock.


Wouldn't that be great for my reputation.


"Poor girl," I heard Michael murmur, so low that no one could hear, "She needs medical assistance and instead is directed to the lab for research purposes."


I drifted in and out of consciousness as I was carried to Lab 1, senses to my ears weren't working and my muscles in my tail were numb and unresponding. My legs felt like heavy lead and beads of sweat was still running down my face.

Oh how strongly awesome I must be looking.


I was lain down on a cold metal table and there I was wired up and left to deal with the after effects by myself. As monkeys' and The Bear Scientists wondered around the large cold room monitoring my reactions to the drug, I lay with an aching body and growling stomach. None of these b******s cared for a little experiment like me; they just cared for the outcomes.


Cold Faces? Uncaring hearts? A toy for people with science to play with?


This was my world in its truest form.




© 2017 Faith Mairi


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

89 Views
Added on January 29, 2017
Last Updated on January 29, 2017
Tags: Human Experimentation, Overdose, Cat, Children, Scientists


Author

Faith Mairi
Faith Mairi

Glasgow, United Kingdom



About
I am currently a full-time college student doing a course in Creative Industries: Professional Writing. I have always had a passion for reading, and writing sort of came hand in hand with that. more..

Writing