Chapter 1 - Prologue

Chapter 1 - Prologue

A Chapter by EnlighteningStar

   Legends speak of sacred pillars scattered throughout the lands that can either heal a huge wound on the planet, or help it protect itself against grave dangers. Many powerful sorcerers and warriors have been tasked with defending these sacred places from evils of various natures. Bandits, thieves, black wizards, demons, misguided people have all tried to no avail to disrupt the powerful magics that link these pillars. It is said that even if one of these pillars falls, all the others will automatically activate defense mechanisms and close shut. To everyone’s surprise, the pillars have cheated the passage of time. No one knows when they were built, but they look as if they were made today.


   A young man is in front of a big, stone pillar covered in ancient runes, which he cannot decipher. He walks around it, trying to find an entrance. Upon entering the mysterious building, he encounters a shadowy figure. Its intense blue eyes follow his every step in the empty room. It appears to guard some sort of door. He approaches the creature.


   - What is this place? " The young lad asks.


   - P-p-prot-t-tect… - The creature mutters.


   The room crumbles before his eyes, leaving only the mysterious inhabitant in front of him. The shadowy figure starts to melt. Its eyes always staring. It all fades to black.


   Leo, a young scholar in the Ministry of Ancient Arts wakes up in his room at the dorm, sweating and breathing heavily.


   - Again, the same dream… There must be a meaning to all this. I must speak with someone after class about it.


   Leo grabs his towel from the chair next to his bed and cleans the sweat from his head and forehead. He looks out his bedroom window into the patio, completely unaware that it is morning already. Many young scholars like him are walking around.


   - I’m late! I don’t believe it!


   Leo quickly grabs his gray pants, his favorite white shirt, with the Norse rune “Uruz”, meaning strength of will and his blue robe and rope belt. He stumbles upon his bed as a result of rushing to the door.


   - Damn! Can today get any worse? " Leo asks, not expecting any answer.


   - Maybe it will, if we don’t get to our second class in time! " A voice from outside speaks.


   - Grey? You’re late too? Ah, maybe that talk about responsibility the other day should have come from someone else.


   - Very funny, but you know what the topic to that was. Now, move your butt!


   Leo blows out the candle that burns right next to his door and goes out. He slams the door behind him, and locks it. Grey, a young wizard in the school welcomes Leo with a bright smile. He is a little shorter than Leo, but always reminds him that the small people will rule the world someday. He wears a similar blue robe, but with no rope belt. Instead, he wears a hoodie covering his head and eyes. He attends some of the same classes as his friend at the Ministry. They both walk to classroom 3, where “Runes and Glyphs” class is about to begin.


   - So, why are you late today, Leo? Let me guess, someone stole your purse and you spent all night trying to get it back. Oh, I know! You spent the night looking at that stupid fairy tale book again. " Grey asked with a stupid look on his face.


   - First of all, it is not a purse, it’s a backpack! It’s small because I just don’t like walking around like I’m going camping all the time. Second, watch your tongue, that book was written by my grandfather and it is not a fairy tale book.


   “Great Ancient Runes and the way to the Pillars” is a book that Leo has been reading for the last few months. He received it just before entering the Ministry from his dad, who said was the diary of his grandfather, a great warrior that used to teach in the Ministry in his time. A few years ago he went missing. Some say he is still alive because he was seen in some towns and villages, but none are sure of this.



Continues...



© 2017 EnlighteningStar


Author's Note

EnlighteningStar
not yet finished first chapter

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
Added on March 18, 2017
Last Updated on March 18, 2017


Author

EnlighteningStar
EnlighteningStar

Angra do Heroismo, Açores, Portugal



About
I am a game design student, but my true passion is writing. Anything from fantasy to reality, i will post here for you to read and review, in hopes on getting some more experience in the area. more..

Writing